Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I would try another browser if the one I am using is causing problems. You can also try cleaning out the cache and cookies...etc but more likely it's the browser or DNS server of your ISP.
I've cleared the cookies and have tried with Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Gazella can I suggest that you download a free + DRM free Kobo.

Here's a link so you see their location - but sign in and do this under your ID:

http://www.kobobooks.com/free_ebooks

This will help determine if Kobo per se is the issue or something else.

I'm in Aus and don't have any issues.

Let us know how you go.
Ok. I tried a free ebook and it downloaded.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I've cleared the cookies and have tried with Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera.

Ok. I tried a free ebook and it downloaded.
It's got to be the DNS server then. I would try downloading through a proxy server.

Free Books are sometimes on a different server so you can't go by them. You will need a book that is downloaded through ADE in order to comfirm that it's just that link that is messed up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Phew!!!

So it seems that the problem is with the book that you paid for.

Let the Kobo rep that's helping you know that you download other Kobo books okay ... and therefore it seems that the prob is restricted to just the ebook you bought.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Phew!!!

Let the Kobo rep that's helping you know that you download other Kobo books okay ... and therefore it seems that the prob is restricted to just the ebook you bought.
It's Books on the ADE server that seem to be block. all those free books are on Kobo's own server. ADE books are All store on non Kobo servers that Adobe owns.

Things to try. Disable Firewall, Change DNS settings or try a proxy or VPN. It could be ISP has the IP block or Adobe has your Country or IP block.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's got to be the DNS server then. I would try downloading through a proxy server.
How do I do that?

Quote:
Free Books are sometimes on a different server so you can't go by them. You will need a book that is downloaded through ADE in order to comfirm that it's just that link that is messed up.
The Kobo customer care representative was able to download the exact same book that's in my Kobo library. I thought the link was corrupted as well but I don't think it is since he had no problems downloading it.

Quote:
Phew!!!

I did let him know about that just now. We've been exchanging emails. I just got an email, he wanted me to try using another web browser. He also stated that he refreshed my Kobo Account. But unfortunately I'm still not able to download the ebook.
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
How do I do that?
Google proxies. i'm not sure how much I can explain this on the Forum without breaking guidelines. You can search here for info on how to bypass Geo Restrictions because that seems to be what you are running into. Either your ISP has it block but I am betting it's Adobe that has you block. There are ways around this you just got to search and read up on it.

Have you bought ADE books before without problems from other stores or even Kobo?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Google proxies. i'm not sure how much I can explain this on the Forum without breaking guidelines. You can search here for info on how to bypass Geo Restrictions because that seems to be what you are running into. Either your ISP has it block but I am betting it's Adobe that has you block. There are ways around this you just got to search and read up on it.

Have you bought ADE books before without problems from other stores or even Kobo?
I already have Firewall off. I bought an ADE book from Books on Board. I was able to download it.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I already have Firewall off. I bought an ADE book from Books on Board. I was able to download it.
It has to be Geo Restrictions or a server issue if the link is fine on their end. Either have them email you the book or try a proxy as a work around is going to be the only way to fix it.

Just asking because I figured you already tried this but you did reboot your PC/Mac then tried again correct?

Oh you don't have a hosts file to block sites do you? That could cause this issue too.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #24
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
It has to be Geo Restrictions or a server issue if the link is fine on their end. Either have them email you the book or try a proxy as a work around is going to be the only way to fix it.
I can't use a proxy server. The programs that make it possible are all blocked in my country. I'll email them now and ask them if they can send me the book via email. I don't think they'll do it but I'll try.

Quote:
Just asking because I figured you already tried this but you did reboot your PC/Mac then tried again correct?
Yes.

Quote:
Oh you don't have a hosts file to block sites do you? That could cause this issue too.
No.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #25
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Is there any chance you're behind a corporate firewall?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Is there any chance you're behind a corporate firewall?
Is this possible even if I have Firewall off?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, yes, if you have a firewall on your computer and turn it off that wouldn't affect the settings of a corporate network's firewall.

I suspect, though, that if you were behind a corporate firewall you would know it. I just wanted to make sure.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I can't use a proxy server. The programs that make it possible are all blocked in my country. I'll email them now and ask them if they can send me the book via email. I don't think they'll do it but I'll try.

If not it's time to ask for your money back. Once you're refunded Perhaps you can buy the book on your Kindle instead.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #29
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
If not it's time to ask for your money back. Once you're refunded Perhaps you can buy the book on your Kindle instead.
I've never purchased an ebook from them but when I got a 30% discount code I thought I'd use it. I just sent them an email, if they said they won't be able to email the book I'll ask for a refund.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #30
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I had that problem with two books I bought from Kobo a few days ago (when the Bargainmoose coupon came out), both Adobe ADEPT epubs. Couldn't download either on them on two computers, with different ADE editions (1.7 and 2.0) - got a licensing server error on the ADE 2.0 one, so that made it clear to me that it's likely not a problem on my end (another DRM-d book I bought downloaded fine, as did a few older ones in my library I re-downloaded to check if they work).

Both books showed up fine in my iPad Kobo app (while Bluefire gave a download error) also when they were not coming through on the computer. I'd half resigned myself to having to read them on the iPad (which I really don't like to do), but fortunately both downloaded just fine the next day, though, as did a bunch of other Kobo books I bought.

I've bought a lot of books from Kobo and had that issue once before from them, again during some bigger coupon sale. I guess sometimes there's just a glitch in the system.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote