Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Pythos
Pythos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
How to run BBeBook.zip

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I've searched the forums, Yahoo group and google to no avail.

I've downloaded the BBeBook-0.1.zip, but cannot get it to run properly on my PC. Is there a list of requirements anywhere or a simple "how to" document for this?

Any assistance would be appreciated, as I've also seen this question asked elsewhere.

Thanks
Pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
I've wondered the same thing myself. I downloaded the zip but hit a wall because there were only .java files, nothing executable. Does anybody have tips for folks who aren't Java experts that want to just run the program?
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here's a bash script I use on linux

Code:
#!/bin/sh
dir=/home/kovid/build/BBeBook-0.1
CLASSPATH=$dir/jpedalSTD.jar:$dir/kxml2-2.3.0.jar:$dir/PDFBox-0.7.3.jar:$dir
java -cp $CLASSPATH BBeBook
You will need to download those jar files they aren't distributed with BBeBook

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-22-2006 at 11:55 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, since I find BBeBook cumbersome to use from the command line here's a little package that makes running it on the command-line really easy. Just extract, edit makebbeb changing the line
Code:
bbebb_book_directory = "/home/kovid/build/BBeBook-0.1"
to reflect where you extracted BBeB. Now
Code:
python makebbeb
will give you a really easy to use command line interface.

If anyone has a problem with me redistributing BBeBook and its java dependencies, let me know and I'll take it down.
Attached Files
File Type: rar BBeBook-cli-0.1.rar (4.94 MB, 522 views)
Old 11-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
dbunny
dbunny began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
cool thanks!!
dbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
Axel
Axel began at the beginning.

Hi kovidgoyal,

after I replaced the colons by semicolons in the java classpath in the python script, it runs.
However, I get this strange error message. Have you any idea why there should be problems creating or accessing the temp file?

Axel

-----------------------------------------------
Error parsing metadata: c:\temp\tmptxqd9u (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: c:\temp\tmptxqd9u (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.jav a:106)
at java.io.FileReader.<init>(FileReader.java:55)
at BBeBook.parseConfig(BBeBook.java:659)
at BBeBook.makeBook(BBeBook.java:596)
at BBeBook.main(BBeBook.java:293)
No <File> in config file.
BBeBook returned: 1
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's because windows being a pain doesn't allow simultaneous access to a file from two processes. Here's a version of makebbeb that I hope will work with windows as well, though I haven't tested it.
Attached Files
File Type: rar makebbeb.rar (20.4 KB, 447 views)
Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Axel

thanks, now I'm one step further, but got other problems :-(
I tried to convert 3 different PDFs and got different types of errors from the pdfbox.jar. Did you actually manage to successfully convert a PDF ?

axel

-------
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/jce/provider/BouncyCastleProvider
at org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument.openProtection(PDDoc ument.java:905)
---------
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: PageParser
at org.pdfbox.util.operator.pagedrawer.SetLineWidth.p rocess(SetLineWidth.java:63)
-------------
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: PageParser
at org.pdfbox.util.operator.pagedrawer.AppendRectangl eToPath.process(AppendRectangleToPath.java:58)
Old 11-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I've only used it for html. Fortunately nothing I want to read is in PDF form.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
Axel

Lucky guy...