Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #31
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Hello skillachie! I downloaded BookFusion to give it a try. Is there a way to turn off the page turn animation (the way the page slides across the screen)? This type of animation gives me a headache so I can only use apps that either do the page curl (e.g., Kindle, Mapleread, Apple Books) or have the option of no animation at all.

Thank you
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:24 PM   #32
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hello skillachie! I downloaded BookFusion to give it a try. Is there a way to turn off the page turn animation (the way the page slides across the screen)? This type of animation gives me a headache so I can only use apps that either do the page curl (e.g., Kindle, Mapleread, Apple Books) or have the option of no animation at all.

Thank you
Thank you for taking it for a spin and providing feedback. That is not possible currently but will add this to the backlog to provide the ability to disable animation for page turning. We will then look at adding page curl animation afterwards. So the options will be None, Slide & Curl.

Will follow up with you once we implement the options later this year.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2023, 11:19 PM   #33
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Thank you for taking it for a spin and providing feedback. That is not possible currently but will add this to the backlog to provide the ability to disable animation for page turning. We will then look at adding page curl animation afterwards. So the options will be None, Slide & Curl.

Thank you! That would be excellent.

I am intrigued by the syncing feature. Is this done via iCloud or using BookFusion's private servers?
Old 09-10-2023, 04:31 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks for getting back.

So this is more just a personal preference of wanting different functionalities in a separate app based on the way you read. Many technical books and textbooks are in PDF format.

If that is the only reason though, it is not fair to suggest not using BookFusion for PDF as it is not based on a lack of functionality that you found missing just that you prefer to keep PDF and EPUB formats in different apps.

Alright, well no steps we can actionable take from the feedback at this time besides the items we had plan to add support for.
Yes, it's due to the fact that I feel that ePub and PDF should be kept separate. We need the best app possible for ePub and PDF already has that app with Goodreader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #35
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:

I've given it a try and really like almost everything. Disabling animation for page turning is also my must have. Along with that, the show stopper for me is I need to be able to touch either side of the screen to go forward. I'm a very fast reader and hold it in my left hand. To have to swipe and put down whatever my right hand is holding to swipe really slows down my reading. Any chance you will implement the touch options?
peaceridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2023, 03:26 PM   #36
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I've given it a try and really like almost everything. Disabling animation for page turning is also my must have. Along with that, the show stopper for me is I need to be able to touch either side of the screen to go forward. I'm a very fast reader and hold it in my left hand. To have to swipe and put down whatever my right hand is holding to swipe really slows down my reading. Any chance you will implement the touch options?
Ok, we should be able to cover all your request soon then. We are currently doing the UI/UX for the following:
  • Custom Tap Zones - You will be able to customize each side of the screen to move forward
  • Auto-Scroll
  • Brightness Control using gestures

Will follow up once all items are implemented to ask for feedback again once done.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #37
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thank you! That would be excellent.

I am intrigued by the syncing feature. Is this done via iCloud or using BookFusion's private servers?
It, done via BookFusion.

We provide a full ebook reader and manager with seamless sync with bookmarks, reading progress, highlights and other upcoming collaborative features that requires the use of BookFusions backend (cloud) and is not compatible with third party providers that simply provide only a storage solution. We are not simply trying to build replacement eBook apps for what exists today but want to provide a richer reading experience.

For example some readers use our optional social features to share their eBook collection with friends and family. This is currently in beta on Web and will be implemented in mobile soon. https://www.bookfusion.com/reading/branch

Also, provide the ability to have discussions within books and so forth. Besides that it is the only way we could guarantee and reliably make improvements to our syncing process without relying on a third party. However, we will support browsing iCloud, Google Drive and Dropbox at a later date. It will be included in the next vote to the community to help prioritize the functionality to come after the ones already planned.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #38
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
I wanted the same feels as iBooks but I didn't want to have to sync using iTunes because my giant library crashed it all the time.

So I use kybook3, moving epub files using the file browser as a new "downloads" folder. It feels exactly as clunky as iBooks, with no advantages whatsoever for sorting. Thus perfect for my use case!

It has ads but I have a Shortcut that turns on airplane mode when I use it lol. Helps with concentrating on reading too.

I have been meaning to try bookfusion, downloading it now!
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #39
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Alright I give up on bookfusion, no additional features that give it any advantage over iBooks for me. Needs a bypass to upload all 6k files, so basically worse than iBooks.

I don't really need cloud services, synced annotations or anything except "make it look like iBooks because Apple can't update their best apps" so it's not useful to me.

Compared to kybooks it does not have the same quantity of features, nor can it integrate with calibre as nicely. (kybooks has great opbs catalog support, decent integrated internet search, all historical apple iBooks features)

I know it's untrustworthy because it hasn't received updates, but I was literally going to switch to linux to use foliate mobile before I switched to kybooks.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeggioaccele View Post
Alright I give up on bookfusion, no additional features that give it any advantage over iBooks for me. Needs a bypass to upload all 6k files, so basically worse than iBooks.
Books is worse. On an iPhone, the forced L/R margins are terrible. Plus, if you are using iBooks, you are using a rather old iOS. A lot of professional eBook makers find Books to be rubbish.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:33 AM   #41
arpeggioaccele
light mode user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Books is worse. On an iPhone, the forced L/R margins are terrible. Plus, if you are using iBooks, you are using a rather old iOS. A lot of professional eBook makers find Books to be rubbish.
You're right, I just mean for my specific use case of liking "iBooks" formatting, bookfusion does not provide meaningful improvements. Bookfusion seems better for using epubs how they're meant to be used. By "iBooks" I mean what is now called the Books app I should clarify.

Can't get much worse than Apple's default app, which is why I made the comparison, simply to stress how low my standards are.

(I usually use calibre to absolutely destroy professional formatting because I can)
Old 09-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You're right, I just mean for my specific use case of liking "iBooks" formatting, bookfusion does not provide meaningful improvements. Bookfusion seems better for using epubs how they're meant to be used. By "iBooks" I mean what is now called the Books app I should clarify.

Can't get much worse than Apple's default app, which is why I made the comparison, simply to stress how low my standards are.

(I usually use calibre to absolutely destroy professional formatting because I can)
Most professional formatting is armature at best. See eBooks form the big 5 and you'll see how bad they can be. BookFusion respects the CSS. Books well, it's just a mess. And it's not designed for an iPhone unless Apple finally released the 7.9" iPhone mini.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:31 PM   #43
skillachie
Addict

Quote:

I don't really need cloud services, synced annotations or anything except "make it look like iBooks because Apple can't update their best apps" so it's not useful to me.

Compared to kybooks it does not have the same quantity of features, nor can it integrate with calibre as nicely. (kybooks has great opbs catalog support, decent integrated internet search, all historical apple iBooks features)

I know it's untrustworthy because it hasn't received updates, but I was literally going to switch to linux to use foliate mobile before I switched to kybooks.
but that is okay, we know the platform might not meet the needs of all readers. As you said Apple Books covers most or all of your needs and you do not require the additional features or improvements that goes beyond that.

It sounds like what is really missing for you is OPDS support in Apple Books and you would be golden. With regards to BookFusion we currently use the Calibre sync plugin which integrates nicely for a number of Calibre readers, the same plugin will also allow us to do two-way sync in the future. However, we will be looking at adding OPDS support as well but not for this year.

Foliate and Kybooks are surprising comments based on what we received from a few users. However, as mentioned your particular set of needs, combined with a cost for our app might make it not a suitable fit. Thanks for trying out the app. We noted the OPDS support and will continue to make updates and add new features for our readers
Old 10-01-2023, 02:02 AM   #44
odamizu
just an egg

Hello skillachie! I saw BookFusion released a new version with page curl animation and no animation. Thank you!!

I noticed when using black background with white text, when page curl is selected the "back" of the page that's curling is white rather than black. Not sure how easy it would be to make the back of the page match the background color of the front of the page? The Kindle app and Apple's Books app does this. Thanks for considering.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:28 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It would be really good to remove the page curl animation bloat.