Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #1051
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Sony Tablet P

I usually have all my tablets on mute.
So I only just found out:
There's only a Mono speaker. It sounds just horrible. Wouldnt have expected that from Sony. No way I'll ever listen to the radio on it.

And...there's no YouTube app. Probably because of the split screen.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-27-2011 at 08:29 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #1052
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
MGmueller, have you rechecked the German HP appstore for the Kindle app? I had it from the beginning since I chose to register with the US appstore. If you still can't get it, there are other ways of getting it.

Besides, PReader is pretty good.
No Kindle app in the German store.
Do you have a beta version of the app? Someone mentioned that in another thread.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #1053
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No Kindle app in the German store.
Do you have a beta version of the app? Someone mentioned that in another thread.
Let me check how to get the installation file.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #1054
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I saw the Playbook in a shop here and loved the format, the design, the feel of it, but decided against buying it because of the lack of apps, although it was by far the device I liked the most there. They had the Galaxy Tab and the Iconia 100, plus some "no name" tabs (some of them with a very impressive list of specs). I am looking for a 7" one now. The Galaxy Tab is incredibly expensive here in the south of Spain, because it has become a cult object (I guess you can thank Apple for that).

I won't get the iconia 100 either. I enjoy my iconia 500, but although the design (which is not the best I agree) does not bother me much on the 10" tab, it does on its 7" version.
And we have an Ipad 1 which we keep using too. I am not sure which format (16:9 or 4:3) I like best. 16:9 is great for movies, but 4:3 is my favorite for reading, so there is another point to ponder on....
Anyway, I really wish RIM would work on the apps for the playbook.

For now on, I am still looking.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #1055
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller
I hate this - we're still far from the ""global village".
Sad but true
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #1056
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I saw the Playbook in a shop here and loved the format, the design, the feel of it, but decided against buying it because of the lack of apps, although it was by far the device I liked the most there. They had the Galaxy Tab and the Iconia 100, plus some "no name" tabs (some of them with a very impressive list of specs). I am looking for a 7" one now. The Galaxy Tab is incredibly expensive here in the south of Spain, because it has become a cult object (I guess you can thank Apple for that).

I won't get the iconia 100 either. I enjoy my iconia 500, but although the design (which is not the best I agree) does not bother me much on the 10" tab, it does on its 7" version.
And we have an Ipad 1 which we keep using too. I am not sure which format (16:9 or 4:3) I like best. 16:9 is great for movies, but 4:3 is my favorite for reading, so there is another point to ponder on....

I'm waiting for the new Galaxy Tabs with 7" and 7.7". AMOLED display (at least one of both has it), certainly worth checking out.

In Germany, the "old" Galaxy Tab 7" is extremely cheap. Doesn't Amazon ship from Germany to Spain?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #1057
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post

Glad to hear you liked the PlayBook as well.
On its own, only considering design and OS, i think it's close to the "perfect" tablet. Doesn't the Android player solve lots of your issues re. apps? It's working good enough, already in the leaked/outdated version.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #1058
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well MGmueller, regarding your Touchpad there is a relatively easy way to get the Kindle app. You can read up on it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...p-catalog.html

You must install Preware and get the Impostah program. Then you can temporarily reset your Touchpad to get access to the US app catalogue, get the Kindle app and then reset for access to the German app store. I haven't tried it, so I cannot fill you in on the details, but others have been successful.

Actually most of the apps I want are there now. Zinio (still a work in progress -- unfortunately still far behind the iPad version), Pressdisplay (needs some improvements, too), and you have the Hulu hack when you need it.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-28-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #1059
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well MGmueller, regarding your Touchpad there is a relatively easy way to get the Kindle app. You can read up on it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...p-catalog.html

You must install Preware and get the Impostah program. Then you can temporarily reset your Touchpad to get access to the US app catalogue, get the Kindle app and then reset for access to the German app store. I haven't tried it, so I cannot fill you in on the details, but others have been successful.

Actually most of the apps I want are there now. Zinio (still a work in progress -- unfortunately still far behind the iPad version), Pressdisplay (needs some improvements, too), and you have the Hulu hack when you need it.
Thanks. I haven't done anything on TouchPad for quite a while. Nice excuse to play around with it again.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #1060
mgmueller
Member Retired

Customer service of Expansys

I've had 2 very negative experiences with Expansys.
a.) The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 they've sent me had all Samsung apps exclusively in French, no matter what system language I chose. Reset and such didn't help. Eventually, I rooted the tab and deleted all Samsung apps.
May not be a biggy for lots of you. But personally, I like to have a consistent user experience = the very same language through all apps. And I'm not happy, that I have to solve this by rooting my gadget.
I've sent an email to their "customer service" about any tips. Still, after 7 days, no reaction at all.
b.) I've ordered the LG Optimus Pad. They've confirmed the order and their website stated "2 units on stock with our subcontractor". After 5 days (!) without further update, they sent a brief note "not available anymore". I've sent 2 requests ("you confirmed, what do you think to do about that?"). Now I've got an email form their "customer service": "You can send thousands of emails every day, this won't change a thing".
Wow! Great customer service!
I guess, I know now, why they have been a bit cheaper than Amazon. "Cheap" as in "no customer service, no support, no professionals".
I hate websites like that:
a.) Their website ("2 units on stock") should be up to date. Navision and other tools like that easily allow for that.
b.) They shouldn't confirm my order without checking availability. Amazon confirms even delivery dates exactly to the point. You just have to be in control of your inventory.
c.) It shouldn't take them 5 days (!) to come back to me. I'd understand for an email within, let's say, 12 hours after placing the order "Sorry, not available anymore".
d.) If they make such a mistake, they should have something to offer. For example "would you like to order the Xoom 2 instead? if so, here's a discount of X%".
e.) I've sent them 3 emails in total. And that's only because I didn't get any response at all. I shouldn't get a reaction "send as many emails as you want, it won't change a thing".
f.) There's no way, to escalate. My last email went to the same email address and the very same person, I wanted to complain about.

Am I a sissy for being pissed?

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-02-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #1061
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I've had 2 very negative experiences with Expansys.
a.) The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 they've sent me had all Samsung apps exclusively in French, no matter what system language I chose. Reset and such didn't help. Eventually, I rooted the tab and deleted all Samsung apps.
May not be a biggy for lots of you. But personally, I like to have a consistent user experience = the very same language through all apps. And I'm not happy, that I have to solve this by rooting my gadget.
I've sent an email to their "customer service" about any tips. Still, after 7 days, no reaction at all.
Ok, can happen...

Quote:
b.) I've ordered the LG Optimus Pad. They've confirmed the order and their website stated "2 units on stock with our subcontractor". After 5 days (!) without further update, they sent a brief note "not available anymore". I've sent 2 requests ("you confirmed, what do you think to do about that?"). Now I've got an email form their "customer service": "You can send thousands of emails every day, this won't change a thing".
Wow! Great customer service!

No other words...

Quote:
I guess, I know now, why they have been a bit cheaper than Amazon. "Cheap" as in "no customer service, no support, no professionals".
I hate websites like that:
a.) Their website ("2 units on stock") should be up to date. Navision and other tools like that easily allow for that.
b.) They shouldn't confirm my order without checking availability. Amazon confirms even delivery dates exactly to the point. You just have to be in control of your inventory.
c.) It shouldn't take them 5 days (!) to come back to me. I'd understand for an email within, let's say, 12 hours after delivery "Sorry, not available anymore".
d.) If they make such a mistake, they should have something to offer. For example "would you like to order the Xoom 2 instead? if so, here's a discount of X%".
e.) I've sent them 3 emails in total. And that's only because I didn't get any response at all. I shouldn't get a reaction "send as many emails as you want, it won't change a thing".
f.) There's no way, to escalate. My last email went to the same email address and the very same person, I wanted to complain about.
Even with a system, it can happen that a product can go out of stock. Especially if it's with a subcontractor (who could deliver to multiple sites). But they should always go back to you in 1 or 2 days.

I've had it happen once as well. I ended up cancelling my order with that company, paid about €10 more and got my purchase the next day... And I'll never ever order anything with that company anymore. (no, it wasn't expansys, but thank you for warning me about that one)

Quote:
Am I a sissy for being pissed?
No.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #1062
mgmueller
Member Retired

Samsung Galaxy Note

Just ordered it. Should be her in less than 15 hours...

I had ordered the LG Optimus Pad (8.9" tablet). Expansys can't deliver (although they had confirmed and didn't give any response for 5 days!), so I HAD to order another gadget.
I'm very curious about the stylus and the note function. Updates in about 14 hours, thanks to super-reliable Amazon.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #1063
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Are you getting the kyobo ereader?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #1064
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Are you getting the kyobo ereader?
Oh man, it never stops.
Another one...Hadn't heard of it before.Maybe a bit bulky.
But Mirasol display - finally.
Might be tempting...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #1065
HansTWN
Wizard

An Mgmueller report on the first Mirasol device! Now there is something we have all been waiting for. Next up, the Quadcore Asus tablet.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test