Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a paying subscriber to Kindle Unlimited/Scribd/Oyster?
Yes, Kindle Unlimited 37 20.33%
Yes, Scribd 16 8.79%
Yes, Oyster 2 1.10%
No 131 71.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #61
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Scribd could definitely be worthwhile if pulp fiction is your main entertainment on a consistent basis or if some combination of their offerings made it a decent value proposition. Specifically, they offer a pretty good value on Random House titles if you don't re-read and are content with LCD.

Honestly, I don't expect Scribd to last. They got beyond that initial venture capital stage, which is laudable enough, but they have a less than fleshed out business model that they're struggling to make stick. I would love to see them prove me wrong on general principle, but it seems unlikely.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #62
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't subscribe to any ebook services, but I just found out about Texture yesterday, a magazine subscription service. They have a lot of magazines available, including the only magazine I currently subscribe to (People, it's a guilty pleasure). They are offering a three-month trial for $10 for the holidays.

I downloaded the app yesterday, as did my husband, and it's pretty good. It could use some more features, like user profiles so I don't have to see my husband's favorites list intermingled with mine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #63
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
2014 KDP Select (self-publishers) payout for Kindle Unlimited

$2.785 million
$4.7 million
$5 million
$5.5 million
$6.5 million
$7.25 million

2015 KDP Select (self-publishers) payout for Kindle Unlimited

$8.50 million
$8.00 million (28 days February)
$9.30 million
$9.80 million
$10.8 million
$11.3 million
$11.5 million
$11.8 million
$12.0 million
$12.4 million
$12.7 million

The important thing to note is that the trend is on the up and up and this is just for self-publishers. Amazon doesn't mention what the monthly amount for other publishers that enrolled
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #64
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
I tried a free trial of KU with plans to cancel after the first month. I ended up adding a bunch of books to my wishlist so I'm continuing my subscription for a few months.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #65
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had an Oyster subscription for ~18 months. The cost of the books that I read was more than double the cost of the subscription. Therefore I don't mind that I don't get to keep the books, especially since it's rare for me to reread books. I read mostly BPH - both fiction and nonfiction. I like the way the subscription services are organized such that you can easily browse books via sub-genre lists and see "similar to" recommendations. It has really helped me to discover new books and broadened my reading.

Since Oyster is shutting down, I recently switched to Scribd. It has a smaller selection than Oyster but more than enough to keep me reading for a very long time! I am not a romance reader, and I have plenty of other sources for audiobooks. Therefore those recent controversies don't bother me. I am intrigued by the sheet music availability but haven't explored it yet. I am pleased that Scribd has improved their presentation since the last time that I tested it.

Kindle Unlimited doesn't interest me yet. There is not enough selection for my interests to justify the subscription price. I prefer to read on my Kindle but don't mind reading in the Scribd app on my iPad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #66
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
Is Scribd profitable if a subscriber read 2 books a month since Scribd pays full royalties on a borrow like a purchase?
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #67
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianxia View Post
Is Scribd profitable if a subscriber read 2 books a month since Scribd pays full royalties on a borrow like a purchase?
It probably depends on the book. Not all of them are priced the same. They can range from free on up. Most probably fall in the 7.99 range from the big publishers, while indie books probably average more like 2.99 to 3.99.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Since Oyster is shutting down, I recently switched to Scribd. It has a smaller selection than Oyster but more than enough to keep me reading for a very long time!
I found Scribd and Oyster to have nearly identical collections in the fantasy/SF/horror genres that I mostly read. Scribd also has many graphic novels, travel guides and technical books that Oyster lacked. I don't read romance or listen to audiobooks so Scribd's reduction of that content didn't affect me.

I recently looked into a new e-lending service, Playster. They offer multiple media types for $25/month or just books (including audiobooks) for $10/month. Their collection is much smaller than Scribd, about a quarter of the size for the books of interest to me. Their reading app is also very slow to change pages. I can't recommend it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #69
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I found Scribd and Oyster to have nearly identical collections in the fantasy/SF/horror genres that I mostly read. Scribd also has many graphic novels, travel guides and technical books that Oyster lacked. I don't read romance or listen to audiobooks so Scribd's reduction of that content didn't affect me.

I recently looked into a new e-lending service, Playster. They offer multiple media types for $25/month or just books (including audiobooks) for $10/month. Their collection is much smaller than Scribd, about a quarter of the size for the books of interest to me. Their reading app is also very slow to change pages. I can't recommend it.
Playster is yet another reading subscription app that won't let you try the reading app without registering. If I don't like the app now, I lose my free month trial. If the app improves in the future I won't be able to try it again. This is why I never tried Oyster. I try Scribd every once in a while, but the formatting options weren't good for me. I tried it again just now and the new formatting options still weren't available, at least not without signing up. I still couldn't choose a font except for the default serif or sans serif.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #70
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
No, and I never will be. I don't read enough to make it worthwhile, and I want to actually own the books I read. (It was the same with movies, but for some reason, I just suddenly don't feel like that anymore, except for my absolute favorites.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #71
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I try Scribd every once in a while, but the formatting options weren't good for me. I tried it again just now and the new formatting options still weren't available, at least not without signing up. I still couldn't choose a font except for the default serif or sans serif.
Scribd has six font choices, but you need to use the iOS or Android app to access them. It works well for me, but I'm not too picky.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #72
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Scribd has six font choices, but you need to use the iOS or Android app to access them. It works well for me, but I'm not too picky.
Only two font choices here - The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. On my Samsung Tab S using the Android app.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1452289680631.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	145388
Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #73
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Only two font choices here - The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. On my Samsung Tab S using the Android app.
That is odd. I see six choices for the same book on my Nexus 7. (See attached.) I have version 4.0.1 (Nov 30, 2015) of the Scribd app installed.

I know that when Scribd added the new fonts they had to update each book to include them, so if you downloaded that book a long time ago you will need to delete it from the app and de-download it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160108-171113.png
Views:	294
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	145389  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #74
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That is odd. I see six choices for the same book on my Nexus 7. (See attached.) I have version 4.0.1 (Nov 30, 2015) of the Scribd app installed.

I know that when Scribd added the new fonts they had to update each book to include them, so if you downloaded that book a long time ago you will need to delete it from the app and de-download it.
I don't have a Scribd subscription, I downloaded and installed the app today. Maybe they don't give all the options if you don't subscribe. That would be pretty stupid - I want to try it before I subscribe. I contacted Scribd support last year or so and nothing ever came of it.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #75
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I checked (in retrospect) how many of the 140 ebooks I read last year are available at:

Ebook sellers: 140
Public library: 56 (OverDrive: 38 + BorrowBox: 18)
Scribd: 34 (24 of these were available from the public library too)
Kindle Unlimited: 0

(Edit: I don't subscribe to Scribd or Kindle Unlimited.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-09-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Checked Scribd too
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote