Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Little.Egret:

Your attached images don't seem to be working.

Don
(Moderator)
In what way ?

I see them (as thumbnails) in IE and Firefox and on a tablet.

What can't you do ?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-27-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: corrected my 'you're' to 'your' - Don
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
In what way ?

I see them (as thumbnails) in IE and Firefox and on a tablet.

What can't you do ?
Were they supposed to be ONLY thumbnails?
Normal like, you click on the image and get a full size of the image.

Did you use the Manage attachments tool (below the entry box when using the advanced editor)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
They're not opening as images. I see them, but clicking on them does nothing.

That's the first time I've encountered that problem.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
They're not opening as images. I see them, but clicking on them does nothing.

That's the first time I've encountered that problem.
Is this any better (bigger images)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71uFkrUZ7cL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	142271   Click image for larger version

Name:	81I7psEDLCL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	142272  
Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I could open the bigger ones.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #21
Little.Egret
Wizard

And here's the new e-cover for Brothers in Arms

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...others-in-arms

Lois posted

"For anyone who has been longing for a cover that shows Miles at full length at his correct height, and build, more or less, there you go."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BiA 1322230.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	142288  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Can't say I like any of those new covers.
But then I already have all the omnibus editions from Baen, so I don't have to.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Can't say I like any of those new covers.
But then I already have all the omnibus editions from Baen, so I don't have to.
Same here. Skimping on artwork is penny wise and pound foolish. A lot of people will notice a book because of the artwork.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #24
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Same here. Skimping on artwork is penny wise and pound foolish. A lot of people will notice a book because of the artwork.
Indeed but what Lois wants is to have her reprinted books recognised as part of the same series and even what kind of series and book.

here's Kristine Kathryn Rusch on 'branding'.

"Traditionally published writers of long-standing, like me, have books that
look like mishmash of stuff, even if the books are in the same genre and
same series. The lack of branding has hurt us."

http://kriswrites.com/2015/07/22/bus...ding-surprise/

http://kriswrites.com/2014/01/08/the...lity-part-6-2/

Last edited by Little.Egret; 09-26-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Indeed but what Lois want is to have her reprinted books recognised as part of the same series and even what kind of series and book.

here's Kristine Kathryn Rusch on 'branding'.

"Traditionally published writers of long-standing, like me, have books that
look like mishmash of stuff, even if the books are in the same genre and
same series. The lack of branding has hurt us."

http://kriswrites.com/2015/07/22/bus...ding-surprise/

http://kriswrites.com/2014/01/08/the...lity-part-6-2/
And as examples of high-concept branding those are actually very good covers. They are striking and distinctive. And they reflect the story in the book.

Beats a romance novel with a three-armed lady on the cover.
Or a novel about earth bound telepaths with rocket ships on the cover.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #26
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I had it in my brain that after the Cryoburn disk kerfluffle LMB was anti e-publishing and that Penric was a toe testing the waters. Guess I didn't stumble upon a change in her thinking but old news.

As to the look of the covers:
Quote:
It's been a very exciting (and very educational) process. We worked through several design ideas before finally getting to the final scheme. There are lots of constraints with e-book covers. For the most part, they will appear as small images, frequently as thumbnails or grayscale, so fine details tend to get lost. Each needed to provide a strong, simple image that would register on the eye and mind in the perhaps half second that average browser gives to them; and, with luck, intrigue the viewer enough to stop and look further.
IMO the thumbnails work quite well for their intent. They are recognizable, legible, consistent, and intriguing.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Is this any better (bigger images)

Yes. Perfect. These open, whereas the others did not open at all.

And nice covers, too.

Thanks.

-----ADDED: The covers appear to be controversial, but I like the bold colors on them, as it seems to make them stand out in the crowd. As a contrast, when I look at covers from Indie fantasy authors, I see what appear to be (in many instances) professional-looking covers but they all have a quality of 'sameness' about them that makes most of them fade from memory. The covers above maintain a simplistic approach and the colors make them 'pop' out.

In my opinion, anyway.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-27-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #28
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I had it in my brain that after the Cryoburn disk kerfluffle LMB was anti e-publishing and that Penric was a toe testing the waters. Guess I didn't stumble upon a change in her thinking but old news.
I think she was just against giving away her backlist for free rather than against e-publishing.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #29
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I think she was just against giving away her backlist for free rather than against e-publishing.
Lois published e-books with Fictionwise from 2001/2005

http://www.dendarii.com/biblio.html

2001 Shards of Honor Fictionwise, eBook1173 {ebook} (27 Nov 01)
2011, Winterfair Gifts Amazon Digital Services, {ebook} (5 Jan 11)

Her first backlist ebook self pub (via her agent) may have been

2014 The Spirit Ring Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc. US 978-1625781505, (9 Oct 14) though this date may have been a new cover since The LMB email list has

/The Spirit Ring/ e-book is now up in the Kindle store: Aug 16, 2010
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
And here's the new e-cover for Brothers in Arms

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...others-in-arms

Lois posted

"For anyone who has been longing for a cover that shows Miles at full length at his correct height, and build, more or less, there you go."
And here is a correction
http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...ver-correction

Lois said

Aha. Turns out there was supposed to be a thin black line around the four white-background covers, to define them when placed on white screens, but which got lost in the shuffle. (Thanks to one of my chat-group listees for pointing out the issue.) Now restored, though it may be a bit before my e-books person can circle back and fix it on the vendor pages.

This should look better:

There's Always Something.

Ta, L.
==
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BiA 1322814-BL.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	142570