Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #76
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebod View Post

Just last week I finished Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, and that was a battle. About half way of the book it just got so boring. I must have had in on my desk for more than a month! My girlfriend kept teasing me about how slow a reader I am, since I could only bare reading a chapter every now and then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Never read bare. It only leads to other things...
Once upon a barren moor
There dwelt a bear, also a boar.
The bear could not bear the boar.
The boar thought the bear a bore.
At last the bear could bear no more
Of that boar that bored him on the moor,
And so one morn he bored the boar--
That boar will bore the bear no more.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #77
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Dune was a book I couldn't get through. I tried reading it ten years ago, though, so it might be time for another attempt.
i had tried reading it when i was younger and absolutely hated it. its definitely a book i needed to go into with more patience than i had at the time.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
I wish I had given up on that. I read it because my then GF liked it so much. It was a nasty horrible horrible book. As soon as it got to the time travel, it got worse. The story was just so bad and the characters so like cardboard cutouts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last book I had to give up on was Startide Rising by David Brin. It's the 2nd book in the Uplift series. The 1st book was pretty good. But the 2nd was just boring. The dolphins were just terrible characters.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #80
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Last book I had to give up on was Startide Rising by David Brin. It's the 2nd book in the Uplift series. The 1st book was pretty good. But the 2nd was just boring. The dolphins were just terrible characters.
hahaha i forgot about that one.... i picked it up because i liked The Postman but i felt the same way about it that you did.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #81
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's so funny you mentioned this, because I remember browsing a bookstore and seeing the Uplift Series and reading the backs of the books to get a better sense of what it was about and I thought the concept was rather good and I was almost going to buy into the series...until I saw the dolphins on the cover.

Dolphins. I mean seriously?? I don't care how good a book is...I refuse to read a book that has dolphins as characters. I don't care how smart they are...I just can't do it.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
It's so funny you mentioned this, because I remember browsing a bookstore and seeing the Uplift Series and reading the backs of the books to get a better sense of what it was about and I thought the concept was rather good and I was almost going to buy into the series...until I saw the dolphins on the cover.

Dolphins. I mean seriously?? I don't care how good a book is...I refuse to read a book that has dolphins as characters. I don't care how smart they are...I just can't do it.
In this case, they didn't work. In fact they worked very poorly.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #83
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think Startide Rising was the first Brin I read, and I absolutely loved it. Weird how these things work out.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #84
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
It's rare that I give up on a book completely. There have been a few.

When I was a teen, I gave up on "God Emperor of Dune" after thoroughly enjoying the first books in the series. I re-read the entire series as an adult, maybe ten years ago and found it much more readable. I think the deeper themes went right over my head as a teen and so the much less action oriented (on the surface) nature of "God Emperor" was too dull.

A recent one that I really wish I had given up on was Todd McAffrey's "Dragon Harper". That was just brutal: childish plot, thin characters, and a writing style I couldn't stomach. I could go on and on about how bad that book is. I don't think I'm ever likely to pick up another Todd McAffrey effort. It's a shame (to me) because I so loved Anne's Dragonriders and Harper Hall books when I was young.

The thing that this thread highlights for me is how different people's tastes are. I really enjoyed a lot of the books being dismissed here (Dark Tower, Lord of the Rings, Pillars of the Earth, etc.)

Another one that I put down and have never gone back to (but I still aspire to reading one day) is "Gödel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter. I felt like I was incapable of understanding what he was saying, but that I really should be able to get there if I thought deeply enough.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote