Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Would be nice to have more portable readers - 6 inch for example - with Pearl screens though, wouldn't it?
The biggest advantage of a 9.7" screen is that you can view PDF's in almost 100% of its size.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Good for you! I don't read PDFs on my mobile devices, though, so portability trumps everything. Diff'rent strokes and all, you know how it is.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
They don't mention higher resolution ? What about iRiver HD ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
The biggest advantage of a 9.7" screen is that you can view PDF's in almost 100% of its size.
Yes, I have an iRex DR800 for that, but I would like something smaller for epub and casual reading. On the two occasions I have bought used Sony's for that purpose they have been filtched by my wife and my son respectively. I wonder why Onyx has discontinued it's smaller reader and whether there are any plans for anything in a smaller format?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
And your Lord of the Rings slash fiction.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

Thank you for that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Does that come pre-loaded?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
...On the two occasions I have bought used Sony's for that purpose they have been filtched by my wife and my son respectively. ...
That is actually why I bought a second reader. My wife kept stealing mine. I was happy to have a good reason to buy another

As for no successor, I'm fine with that. I'm going to need another year to convert my dad and bro to ereaders anyway...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
I wonder why Onyx has discontinued it's smaller reader and whether there are any plans for anything in a smaller format?
Onyx did not discontinue the smaller readers. On the contrary. In Russia, you can now buy 6" Onyx readers with Pearl screens. Why only in Russia? Allegedly, because distributors in other countries (including Onyx Europe) showed no interest in these models. I don't understand this...

Perhaps Onyx Europe can explain this lack of interest to us.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
No, you can't. I have both a KDX and an iPad, and standard full sized PDFs are not readable on either.

8.5"x11" is equal to 13.9" diagonal. You really need a device with at least 11.5" or 12" screen and sufficient resolution to be able to read PDFs comfortably.

I wish someone made one.

Last edited by Sonist; 05-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Someone posted somewhere that after upgrading to 3.1 Kindle Firmware "page turns" were quicker. I haven't noticed this, but I am of course interested in increasing speed. Also it might be coincidental but has anyone else noticed that the page turning of the Kindle 3 is slowed down at freezing temperatures?
Vizplex also slowed down at freezing temperatures. So Pearl doing the same is no surprise. This is not Kindle specific. It's due to the screen. My old 505 slowed down in freezing temps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
it makes sense as they are just now getting around to releasing Pearl to the other brands that are not Sony or Amazon. So basically it is still an upgrade to the rest of the ereader world.

My money says their money is all on color ASAP, as in next year. Right now the EPD brands like Eink have to be concerned about the foothold that LCD is gaining into what they had as an near exclusive market. Plus there is the big weakness on Eink's EPD tech in the reading in the dark.
Every try reading on an iPad in direct sunlight. Not so good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What weakness reading in the dark... my wife reads her 505 happily with the Sony light wedge cover, I have no problem with 350 & 650 with lights in cover nor do many other people with such covers or a very wide range of clip-on lights... just like paper books and no problem reading in the sun either... makes you wonder how paper books came to be so successful without their own built in candle... Also I don't have to recharge anywhere near as often as with LCD screen devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
it makes sense as they are just now getting around to releasing Pearl to the other brands that are not Sony or Amazon. So basically it is still an upgrade to the rest of the ereader world.

My money says their money is all on color ASAP, as in next year. Right now the EPD brands like Eink have to be concerned about the foothold that LCD is gaining into what they had as an near exclusive market. Plus there is the big weakness on Eink's EPD tech in the reading in the dark.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #29
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
No, you can't. I have both a KDX and an iPad, and standard full sized PDFs are not readable on either.

8.5"x11" is equal to 13.9" diagonal. You really need a device with at least 11.5" or 12" screen and sufficient resolution to be able to read PDFs comfortably.

I wish someone made one.
True, but the actual area of text on many PDFs based on Letter- or A4-sizes is considerably smaller, though still often over 10" diag. A device with a more capable processor which can crop PDFs on-the-fly would help a lot in removing margins that only make sense for a printed page.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The Kindle DX is woefully inadequate at displaying PDFs. PocketBook and Onyx do a much better job of it. Most PDFS made for "letter" sized display show just fine on the PB 902.

Wit the zoom and reflow options they are also mostly adequately displayed on either companies 6 inch models. EVERY pdf? no because some pdfs just dont display well unless you have a much larger display or print them.

I havent personally spent any time with a iPad and PDFs to judge but I have seen users say its PDF support is just fine.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote