Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
pjoshua5000
pjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Cool Kobo Glo Now Available in USA at Independent Bookstores

The Kobo Glo is now available at Powells.com.

Credit: I like to give credit to the blog that led me to the above link.

Not sure how long it will be available. Could also be available at other independent bookstore, but you have find those on your own. And please post them here so others who have be waiting to buy can buy them.
pjoshua5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoshua5000 View Post
The Kobo Glo is now available at Powells.com.

Credit: I like to give credit to the blog that led me to the above link.

Not sure how long it will be available. Could also be available at other independent bookstore, but you have find those on your own. And please post them here so others who have be waiting to buy can buy them.
Not to rain on anybody's parade, and I know everybody's been waiting for these for a long time, but... the revenue model here for the ABA indie bookstores isn't the three bucks they're going to make on the sale of a $129 Glo when your order one with a credit card. It's the establishment of affiliated kobo bookstore accounts which will continue to produce (an admittedly small) stream for the stores, even when a customer buys a Barbara Cartland ebook that they'd never stock themselves on the shelves at the local "Anarchy and Coffee".

The ABA stores have until some point in January to return unsold Kobo hardware from these initial shipments to Ingram without risk. By February, though, the Ingram return policy changes, and here's what else will change: your Targets and your BestBuys and your Neweggs will also be stocking these on their websites without tax or shipping - and with inevitable discounts and specials and combos. And the brick-and-mortar stores will have to make some hard decisions, particularly if the initial run of hardware didn't earn them one-e-shopper.

Just my $0.02
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
kiwimango
kiwimango has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Keyboard
I'll repost where I bought mine:

http://www.ottobookstore.com/

Otto Bookstore
Williamsport, PA
1-888-762-4526

They WILL ship it to you if you call them with your credit card ready. The shipping charges for me were about $8.

They have the Glo, but apparently not in any of the 'fancy' colors like blue or pink.
kiwimango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Yep - I bought a Glo at Powells on Burnside this morning. They've got a guy in the front group area flogging them, and he seems to know a bit about them.

When you buy a book from the Kobo store, Powells gets a small cut of the sale.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
pjoshua5000
pjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watchpjoshua5000 is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post

...When you buy a book from the Kobo store, Powells gets a small cut of the sale.
Only if you sign up for a Kobo account from there website using there link, however I already have a Kobo account.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Only if you sign up for a Kobo account from there website using there link...
We discussed that, and he agreed that this part was not in place yet, but then came back to me a couple of minutes later, and told me that the connection was by serial number, not necessarily the signup.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
pjoshua5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
We discussed that, and he agreed that this part was not in place yet, but then came back to me a couple of minutes later, and told me that the connection was by serial number, not necessarily the signup.
That is good.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
If anyone knows any indie book stores in NYC that began selling Kobo Glo, I'd really appreciate it. Couldn't find link to NYC stores that carry Kobos anywhere including ABA site. I know that stores in other states have it like Powell's in OR, but I'd like to buy locally if possible. Greatly appreciated!
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoshua5000 View Post
Only if you sign up for a Kobo account from there website using there link, however I already have a Kobo account.
I'm not sure that tells the whole story, but I'm also not sure it doesn't.

I have also read, at varying times, that

1) any book bought on the device results in revenue for the indie retailer, because Kobo is tracking which (serial numbers?) got sold where. (So theoretically, pre-existing Kobo accounts could still produce a revenue stream for the store, if books are bought using a device the store sold).

2) any Kobobooks account CREATED on the store-bought device is as good as a Kobobooks account created with that customized, ABA-provided URL link to the Kobo store.

I took it upon myself to design an experiment. I created a new account on my bookstore-purchased Glo, then bought one book on the device, and bought another on the web using that Glo-created account. I've asked the store owner to let me know what shows up (if anything) in his weekly report from the ABA.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Fernblatt
Fernblatt began at the beginning.

Device: All
And Best Buy still only stocks the new Kobo Mini. Admittedly it *is* cute.

Still no one I can find in the state of Tennessee who carry any of the latest generation models.
Have an older Kobo WiFi as well as a Kobo touch, guess we shall wait until someone nearby carries them or I can mail order them from a U.S.based mail order house.

Happy Yule, y'all

Tom
Fernblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernblatt View Post
And Best Buy still only stocks the new Kobo Mini. Admittedly it *is* cute.

Still no one I can find in the state of Tennessee who carry any of the latest generation models.
Have an older Kobo WiFi as well as a Kobo touch, guess we shall wait until someone nearby carries them or I can mail order them from a U.S.based mail order house.

Happy Yule, y'all

Tom
Powell's has them, but only in black. They're advertising free shipping, but I didn't pay attention if there were any exclusions or conditions.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo, usa