Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #106
outismetis
outismetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
If I have a rootfs.img from a Kindle 3 Wifi but do not normally have access to the physical device how I can I go about patching the firmware for my DXG?

I'm very excited that this is such a promising possibility, and thanks for your hard work.
outismetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #107
qinbill
qinbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dxg
The k3g create update will fail at copy_new_files.

I tested it. It fail mostly at processing this part:

cp -a /bin /etc /lib /linuxrc /opt /sbin /test /usr ${ROOT}/

After I split this command.

I notice that when cp /usr ${ROOT}. It will fail. I guess it is because this directory is too big. 370Mb.

Right Now I generated rootfs.img file from k3g using the scripts of prepare kindle. I am trying to generate update package from my linux laptop.
qinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #108
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qinbill View Post
The k3g create update will fail at copy_new_files.

I tested it. It fail mostly at processing this part:

cp -a /bin /etc /lib /linuxrc /opt /sbin /test /usr ${ROOT}/

After I split this command.

I notice that when cp /usr ${ROOT}. It will fail. I guess it is because this directory is too big. 370Mb.

Right Now I generated rootfs.img file from k3g using the scripts of prepare kindle. I am trying to generate update package from my linux laptop.
Yes, this is a bug that is discussed in the last few pages. I don't have time to work on this right now, but when I get time, I'll try to use rsync or something.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #109
qinbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Yes, this is a bug that is discussed in the last few pages. I don't have time to work on this right now, but when I get time, I'll try to use rsync or something.
Thanks.

Finally, I got it working. Everything is the same as DictsFix. Thanks for your work.

My solution:

I moved the nuance directory to the /mnt/us and made a link to it from /usr/share on my k3g. Then comment out the part process TTS. Then use the modified create_update to generate os update for my DX. It works, and fast.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #110
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Does it still have the 3G issues?
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #111
qinbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by modusop View Post
Does it still have the 3G issues?
I can't use the 3G directly from my Kindle DXG. But the 3G network is connected.

But I tried to use the 3g network thought Tethering it and access it from my computer. The 3G is working. Just for testing.

I think 3g network shouldn't be a big problem. Might be some configurations.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #112
modusop
modusop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm guessing it's the APN/Gateway setting...just don't know where to get to it or even what it should be set to if I did.
modusop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #113
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Kindle obviously connects via an Amazon proxy server. You can not use the Kindle for browsing other sites than Wikipedia in several countries unless you have a US home address and changing the address on Amazon site enables/disables web browsing on the Kindle immediately. Maybe the individual ID key sent from the Kindle is messed up with the firmware and Amazon proxy blocks the 3G connection? Yifanlu, did you experience similar problems on your Kindle 2 before you got it working?

Qinbill, nice work with succeeding compiling the update on your K3G! Could you please upload or PM me the changed make-package.ffs?
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #114
qinbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
Kindle obviously connects via an Amazon proxy server. You can not use the Kindle for browsing other sites than Wikipedia in several countries unless you have a US home address and changing the address on Amazon site enables/disables web browsing on the Kindle immediately. Maybe the individual ID key sent from the Kindle is messed up with the firmware and Amazon proxy blocks the 3G connection? Yifanlu, did you experience similar problems on your Kindle 2 before you got it working?

Qinbill, nice work with succeeding compiling the update on your K3G! Could you please upload or PM me the changed make-package.ffs?
You need to back up your TTS datafile first.
In your Kindle 3g

Code:
cp -r /usr/share/nuance/data /mnt/us/
rm -rf /usr/share/nuance/data
ln -s /mnt/us/data /usr/share/nuance/data
You could cp your data from /mnt/us/data to your dx's /mnt/us directory before you update your kindle.

And then modify this part of make-package.ffs like this:

Code:
copy_new_files()
{
    ROOT=$1

#logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress 1"                                                                             

# touch /tmp/nothing                                                                                                
    # for file in ${SKIP_TTS_FILES}; do                                                                                 
    #   logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress Mount $file"                                                                
    #   /bin/mount --bind /tmp/nothing /usr/share/nuance/data/$file                                                     
    # done                                                                                                              

CP_FILES="/bin /etc /lib /linuxrc /opt /sbin /test /usr"
    logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress 2"
    for file in ${CP_FILES}; do
        logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress copy $file"
	cp -a ${file} ${ROOT}/
    done

#    cp -a /bin /etc /lib /linuxrc /opt /sbin /test /usr ${ROOT}/                                                       
    # logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress 3"                                                                            
    # FILES=""                                                                                                          
    # for file in ${SKIP_TTS_FILES}; do                                                                                 
    #   logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress umount $file"                                                               
    #   /bin/umount /usr/share/nuance/data/$file                                                                        
    #   FILES="${FILES} data/$file"                                                                                     
    # done                                                                                                              

# logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress 4"                                                                            
    # if [ ! -f ${NO_TTS} ]; then                                                                                       
    #   logmsg "I" "make-package" "saving tts files"                                                                    
    #   tar -C /usr/share/nuance -cf ${OUTPUT}/tts-files.tar ${FILES}                                                   
    # fi                                                                                                                

logmsg "I" "make-package" "Progress 5"
}

Then You should be able to generate the update file.

Another observation of this bug is that:
It might not be the problem of cp /usr that caused this bug. The bug is caused by copy too much content which will overflow the size of rootfs.img of the client side.

rootfs.img of client side has only 401M. But the host side has 651M data to copy.
If we copy more than 401M to this image. It will fail due to out of space.

Move out TTS file will reduce 250M intotal. which makes rootfs.img of client just fit.

So move out all the TTS file will solve this problem.

This is a temporary and naive solution. Powerful master YifeiLu will solve this problem in a better way.

Bow to the master.

Last edited by qinbill; 04-29-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #115
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Thanks Qinbill for the instructions and explanation! I will try your method. Just a question, don´t you restore /usr/share/nuance/data at the end of your code and remove the symbolic link to it? I am afraid of messing with the system of my K3G since I don´t have recovery on it.

I participate in your bow to the master Yifanlu. It is fantastic that he soon manages to do what Amazon failed with. I don´t understand why Amazon didn´t upgrade the Kindle DXG to firmware 3.1. I bought the DXG after I bought the K3G and was very disappointed to find out that it was so inferior to K3G. Not only did it lack Wifi but also the superior webkit browser and the possibility to improve contrast of the pdfs which is really needed. Now lets hope that Yifanlu succeeds in fixing the last remaining problems.

Last edited by DickeFix; 04-29-2011 at 06:25 AM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #116
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Does this mean NO_TTX doesn't work? The only way to create the update package is to delete/move the file from the K3? But why the softlink then? I'm assuming we'd need to use usbNetwork for this?

And rest assured, I'm bowing to the Master.

Thanks!
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #117
kindle-hopes
kindle-hopes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Another progress report: steps one works flawlessly, step two with a trick, but step three fails...

I used the beta-2.3 updater on a Kindle DXG (2.5.8) and a Kindle 3 WiFi (3.1), both jailbroken with NiluJes 0.7 and with no other hacks installed. Here is what happened: creating the image on the DXG worked like a charm. To make the updater on the k3w, I had to a) add a final newline to the jailbreak whitelist and b) to resize the rootfs.img to be able to include all the files, including TTS. For the latter step, I added another 251MB to the image with "dd if=/dev/zero of=rootfs.img bs=1M count=251 offset=401" and resized it with "resize2fs rootfs.img" (after an e2fsck check). Then the update_dxg-update-os.bin was created without errors (378M and an additional 4k of tts-files.tar).

When I attempt to install the update on the DXG, however, things fail after a while with the error code "0003" and I have to reset. I did not manage to enter the recovery menu, however - only the factory reset one (hold power for 30sec then home for 10sec) which exports the filesystem nevertheless and lets me copy the restore update. After that, everything worked again (on 2.5.8) - but at the expense of a factory reset, i.e. no logfile.

Any ideas?
kindle-hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #118
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle-hopes View Post
When I attempt to install the update on the DXG, however, things fail after a while with the error code "0003" and I have to reset.
No idea really. Just to point that U003 means a MD5 checksum error on the image file itself.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #119
kindle-hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
No idea really. Just to point that U003 means a MD5 checksum error on the image file itself.
I doubt it is a checksum error (which in my experience occurs rather quickly) - just because it took about 10-15 minutes (during which the progress bar restarted a couple of times, until it finally locked at about 60% when the error occured) before the update finally failed...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #120
kindle-hopes

just a small mistake: the dd-command ends of course with "seek=401" and not "offset=401"...