Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
How do I get a shortcut for a Python script onto the taskbar in W7?

I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter. I have a couple python scripts which I would like to get off my desktop and onto the taskbar. I tried dragging the shortcuts onto the taskbar, but I get a message "Pin to Idle" I tried putting the shortcut into a zip file, but that didn't work. I would like to have the script on the taskbar, and just click on it to bring it up - just like I do with Calibre and ADE. I know this is anal, but I hate stuff on my desktop. Any help would be much appreciated.

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Rightclick on the script -> Send to Desktop
This creates a shortcut on the desktop.
Give the thing a nice name.
Rightclick -> Properties.
Change the target field: add "C:\Python26\pythonw.exe" in front of it separated by a space. Or whatever the location of pythonw.exe is on your system. To be more precise: Use pythonw.exe for .pyw files and python.exe for .py files. You can leave out the "" if there is no space character in the path name.
Then rightclick -> Pin to taskbar.
That should give you the proper thing in the taskbar.

Last edited by pietvo; 03-29-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Corrected typo (python2->pythonw) and added the distinction between python and pythonw
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Rightclick on the script -> Send to Desktop
This creates a shortcut on the desktop.
Give the thing a nice name.
Rightclick -> Properties.
Change the target field: add "C:\Python26\python2.exe" in front of it separated by a space. Or whatever the location of pythonw.exe is on your system. You can leave out the "" if there is no space character in the path name.
Then rightclick -> Pin to taskbar.
That should give you the proper thing in the taskbar.
Thanks, pietvo. The target field is currently C:\Python26\xxx.pyw. Are you saying to add a space, or another C:\. . .? Sorry I am so dumb. I did pin IDLE to the taskbar, and the 2 python scripts are in the jump list. If there is an easy way to separate them, I would be interested.

Thanks so much for your help.
Debra
Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Hi Debra,

So make the target: C:\Python26\pythonw.exe C:\Python26\xxx.pyw
(notice the space in between). By the way, it is not a good idea to put your own scripts in C:\Python26 because you could lose them when you upgrade your Python installation.
And I would suggest to move the shortcut that you created on the desktop to a different folder afterwards rather than deleting it. That saves you from having to recreate it later if you reorganised your taskbar.

Last edited by pietvo; 03-28-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thank you for the answer, and especially for the suggestion! I would die if I lost all my python scripts. I have just been putting everything into the python folder - I guess I can spend this afternoon creating a new folder (I actually like doing that kind of stuff!)
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

FYI-I had to use C:\Python26\python.exe instead of python2.exe. I got an error message with the first, and decided to just try it without the 2. It worked beautifully. I have the python scripts I use all the time on my taskbar, and my desktop is clean!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
pietvo
Reader

Sorry, that was a typo. I had meant C:\Python26\pythonw.exe (the 2 key is close to the w). The difference between python.exe and pythonw.exe is that python.exe gives you a command prompt window. This is good for CLI programs that don't show a GUI window but can be annoying if that command prompt window doesn't give you useful information. Then pythonw is nicer. Usually it is python.exe for .py files and pythonw.exe for .pyw files.
I have corrected my original posts just in case someone else tries to follow the recipe.

Last edited by pietvo; 03-29-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: edits in original posts