Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
jonesc42
jonesc42 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Do I take the plunge?

Hi all,

I've been lurking around these fora for a couple of years now, as I've eagerly watched the development of e-readers. I have been sold on the idea of e-in since day one, but (as appears to be a common problem here) I can't make up my mind on which one I should buy.

For professional reasons, I'd love to have a larger reader that provided great highlighting and annotating capabilities for .rtf files; and for personal reasons I want to read library books and newspapers (and theoretically to play the NYTimes crossword).

I always get super excited about whatever the newest device is, and then crushed when I find out it has failed to live up to these expectations (Nook, WHY?!--you haven't even come out yet).

Anyway, should I just admit defeat, and purchase something relatively open-source that will let me read rss feeds and library books, or do I hold out a little longer to see if the Que, Daily Edition, PocketBook 302 or some other mythic device arrives to satisfy all of my worldly desires.
jonesc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hello-blue hi.gif
Views:	222
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	39821 jonesc42, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Welcome to the forum. You will find heaps of answers & help here. If you don't need a reader asap I would wait a bit - I believe quite a few are scheduled for 2010. ALthough you might want to try a 'simpler' model first to see if you like it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
welcome to Mobile Read!

Good luck with choosing a reader

I felt as you did and recently took the plunge and just got a basic reader to see if I would like it, and I'm so glad I did - I'm reading with it every day and really enjoying it. Sure, it's not perfect, and I don't use it to read all the stuff that I wanted to (like tehnical articles in PDF which no reader does a great job with yet), but it's great to have an excuse to upgrade when some new readers come out next year
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jonesc42 and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
jennytmzi
jennytmzi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Have a Kindle 2 international and want to get books from other places besides Amazon. PLEASE can anyone tell me how to get my pid. I have tried and tried but no luck. I am compter illiterate so need really easy instuctions. Cannot find the books I want at Amazon and don't want to buy in paper form.
jennytmzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome jonesc42!

I too have been researching for the past three months.

I have come to the conclusion that at this point there is no device that is perfect for anything, let alone everything.

I suggest that you split your desires. Consider one device for general reading like fiction. If you enjoy the experience, consider a second device with a large screen for reading newspapers and doing the crosswords.

Remember, the longer you wait, the better deal you will get. Many new devices are expected to be announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January. Prices have come down noticeably just since I started looking in August.

So I recommend you do what I will do, and get something well within your budget to start, and plan for a subsequent purchase when there is more competition among the larger screen devices.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote