Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Free copy of The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (til May 8)

Random House is offering a free copy of Michael Scott's The Alchemyst until May 8th! It's the first book of the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. Here's a summary:

Quote:
He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects--the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.
Link: http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/alchemyst/free/

It seems to be mostly in PDF, though I think you can get Kindle format, too?

(I've already read the book and thought it was kinda meh, but it wasn't absolutely and completely horrible. It's nice they're giving it away free, though!)

Last edited by birdbrainbb; 04-29-2009 at 10:54 AM.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
It is available free at the Sony store too......
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Kindle link:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Alchemyst-...dp/B000SCHBGQ/
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
This kind of sounds like a DaVinci Code knock off, but hey, for free I'll check it out!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Thanks for that. I won't be reading it for a few months but I think I am physically unable to resist a publisher freebie
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
4youreyes
Enthusiast
4youreyes doesn't litter4youreyes doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
for the kindle link
4youreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It sounds like a book I might like...

Downloaded it, not sure when I'll be able to read it though...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had heard of this series before as something that tried to capitalize on the Harry Potter craze, so it was on my radar screen, but very far down my list. So I'm happy to have a free copy to try it out.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh and I should remember the date it expires, as that is my birthday
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
ohbalto
Raaaargh!
ohbalto began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Every time I come across this book, I can't help but laugh. As someone noted above, the Harry Potter cash-in is strong here. An alchemist named Nicholas Flammel? Honestly, I can't imagine how you get away with something like that without being sued.

*Of Course* I downloaded it (remember: it tastes better because it's free)
ohbalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbalto View Post
Every time I come across this book, I can't help but laugh. As someone noted above, the Harry Potter cash-in is strong here. An alchemist named Nicholas Flammel? Honestly, I can't imagine how you get away with something like that without being sued.

*Of Course* I downloaded it (remember: it tastes better because it's free)
So what does the name Nicholas Flammel have to do with the name Harry Potter?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what does the name Nicholas Flammel have to do with the name Harry Potter?
He was the clue to the mystery in the first book and the creator of the Philosopher's Stone. A lot of folks don't realize he was a real person and not someone Rowling made up...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Flamel
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Nicholas Flammel was a off-screen character who owned the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone, which is what the first Harry Potter book was about.

However, having said that, let me point out that he was a real historical figure and JKR didn't invent his connection to the stone. So anyone who wanted to write a book about said stone would naturally use his as a characer. But I don't doubt that the series is an attempt to capitalize on the success of Harry Potter, espescially now that the HP series is over. If I were smart I'd write my own YA magician story to try to secure the lucrative film rights, but agents saw so much of it they're wary of it now. (Hopefully they'll get tired of vampire/werewolf/zombie romances soon, too...)
Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Oh and I should remember the date it expires, as that is my birthday
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #15
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbalto View Post
Every time I come across this book, I can't help but laugh. As someone noted above, the Harry Potter cash-in is strong here. An alchemist named Nicholas Flammel?
When you look carefully at the HP books, you will see a lot of references to real people, legends and fictional characters.
She hasn't invented that much, even if she did create an interesting universe with all that.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote