Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
s00ka
s00ka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle app on 1st gen ipad, iphone5
device issues..i feel like an idiot. halp! :\

I've been sifting through this forum trying to find some thread that might address my problem but I haven't been able to get any results with the threads I've found, so I'm coming out of lurking to post.
so here goes everything. I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible to avoid a crazy-long back and forth thread.

============
-I have already converted all my books to both .epub and .mobi files but am unable to get Calibre to detect my device. I've been able to sideload all my .epub files onto itunes by saving the files into a new directory and then just importing that in from itunes but I really hate reading from iBooks and would like to be able to load my .mobi files to read from my Kindle app.

-I have a 1st gen Ipad and an Iphone 5.

-I have the the latest version of Calibre installed. (I uninstalled and reinstalled it the other day thinking that might help. it did not.) -- I've actually used the 'send to device' successfully a couple of times about a year ago but it's failing to work now.

-When I 'connect to Itunes', the 'send to device' button shows up whether i've got my idevice plugged in or not and when i actually try to send something, it hangs and crashes.

-'connect to folder' doesn't work because idevices are not showing up as an ejectable disc anymore (other than my nano)

-'start connect server' does nothing. just sits there, mocking me. along with 'start wireless connect'

-i've tried emailing my books to my kindle email and i'm getting an error. I can post that if needed.

i'm running OS X 10.6.8 (...which i think is Leopard. I can't ever remember)
and all my cables are okay and in place.

A workaround that I've done for now is to plug in my ipad, click on 'Kindle' in apps, and then just manually add the .mobi files but this is killing me slowly.
=========

any help with this would be so greatly appreciated. it's been driving me crazy for the past few days because i know i've successfully used this program and have thought it magical. now, i'm convinced the problem is staring me in the face and i'm just blind to it and will feel like an idiot once someone points it out to me. ...or links me to some previous thread i missed.
thanks in advance!
s00ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is no way to directly send books to the Kindle app (or any app other than iBooks) on Apple devices.

The option you have for getting books into the Kindle app are:
- Send the books via email and your Amazon Kindle account. This works so you may need to post information about the error you are getting to get it to work.
- Save the books to disk from Calibre and then Use the iTunes facility to load books into an app and select the Kindle app. However you say you have this working and are unhappy with it.
- Use the Calibre Content Server (or an equivalent) with a web browser and use the facility in the browser for loading books into apps. You say you start the Content Server and nothing happens? What are you expecting to see? Nothing will be visible at the PC. You need to use the browser at the iOS end.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
s00ka
s00ka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle app on 1st gen ipad, iphone5
hey!
yah, sorry to be unclear. i'm not sending my .mobi files directly to my kindle app. i'm running it through itunes. and it's not that i'm necessarily unhappy with that. it's working. i'm just irked that i'm unable to get this thing working because i don't recall having any issues in the past.

as for the content server, i don't think i know how to use it. i didn't think i could actually use it with the kindle app. i thought Stanza and one other one i can't think of had the port capability.

here's my error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(60, 'Operation timed out')

Log:
Find mail exchanger for kindle.com
connect: ('smtp-fw-33001.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-33001.amazon.com.')
connect: ('smtp-fw-2101.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-2101.amazon.com.')
connect: ('smtp-fw-31001.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-31001.amazon.com.')
connect: ('smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-9101.amazon.com.')
connect: ('smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com.', 25)
connect: (25, 'smtp-fw-4101.amazon.com.')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 79, in sendmail_direct
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 281, in _get_socket
File "lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 60] Operation timed out

anyway. thanks for the reply!
s00ka is offline   Reply With Quote