Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Ah, yes. That is required for everything I mentioned, unfortunately. I gave in early to the allure of the jailbreak. Too many nifty little hacks tempting me
One day Amazon is going to get you. You will update the firmware and the jailbreak will cause your Kindle to brick. This is the risk you take updating with the jailbreak in place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #287
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One day Amazon is going to get you. You will update the firmware and the jailbreak will cause your Kindle to brick. This is the risk you take updating with the jailbreak in place.
I sure hope not, but if it happens, I guess it's a risk I was willing to take. I'm not too cavalier about it though -- my PW lives in airplane mode and I manage everything from my computer with Calibre, etc.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I sure hope not, but if it happens, I guess it's a risk I was willing to take. I'm not too cavalier about it though -- my PW lives in airplane mode and I manage everything from my computer with Calibre, etc.
There will come a time when you go to download an eBook from Amazon and they get that firmware in there and bang! You've got a brick.

So do you always side load? If not, you risk getting bricked without knowing it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #289
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. As the developers here said it's really hard to brick a PW.

I would Jailbreak mine but seeing the new firmware can't be jailbroken I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I've never had a Kindle update itself so I'm not too worry. I've always hear of Amazon pushing out updates and none of my Kindles with the exception of the first Kindle Fire update, it's never happened. I have to manually update.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-28-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #290
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Don't do that. It's not a Mobi > Mobi conversion. It's a KF8 > Mobi conversion and that's a very bad idea. If you can strip the DRM, you can use Tweak Book in Calibre to get access to the CSS and OPF to remove the fonts as well as being able to delete the fonts.

Now that is news to me. KF8 is still mobi, mobi8 for that matter. You can have both versions in a mobi container (mobi6 and mobi8). I don't really see the problem converting KF8 to old mobi. I have less problems with the old mobi books on my Kindle than with many kf8. The Kindle lacks one essential button, and that is the "disable publisher formating" button. Forcing a certain font on me, or forcing me to have to endure double-line spacing on the smallest setting is not cool. I will check out the tweak-book feature in Calibre, and see if that is enough to get rid of hard-coded fonts. If that is too much hassle though, I will go back to conversion even if it is a azw3 -> azw3 conversion to get rid of changed fonts. Conversion is a one click solution. If I wanted to reprogram my books before reading, I would have bought a do-it-yourself book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #291
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Same here. No more turning on wifi, I don't need it. I prefer to use Calibre to load over USB. I don't want any updates messing with my tweaks and hacks.

I'm not afraid that an update will brick my Kindle, however.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #292
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I've tried a lot of different fonts on my Paperwhite since I found out how to use the USE_ALT_FONTS about a month ago. Based on how I keep returning to it, I think I've settled on an edited version of Lusitana at 12 points.

I've poked at it a lot--but mainly I condensed it, replaced the quotation marks and apostrophes with glyphs from another font (personal preference), and used letters from a more decorative font for italic characters (I wasn't satisfied with the auto-italic).
Could you post a screenshot containing italics and quotation marks and/or apostrophes? I assume the chapter title is an image (looks like the font on the cover of The Knife of never letting go)?
I've been messing around with combining different fonts for the same reason I think.

Quote:
I like it. Regardless, I'm so glad we can tweak our fonts! I hated being locked into a few font choices on my previous e-reader.
I feel the same way! I read so much on my Kindle that I feel like I want to spice it up and not always look at the same exact ol' font.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #293
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally found Seagram that makes it look like an old book. Still easy and fast enough to read without beeing too fancy.

Example on how it looks (links to homepage of font):
Spoiler:

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Finally found Seagram that makes it look like an old book. Still easy and fast enough to read without beeing too fancy.

Example on how it looks (links to homepage of font):
Spoiler:
I might try that as a header font instead of the boring old sans-serif type font.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #295
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I might try that as a header font instead of the boring old sans-serif type font.
Here check it out, just made a screenshot. Only downside, it only comes in regular, so no bold. The italic the Kindle makes by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seagram.png
Views:	338
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	100222  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #296
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Nice find, Duckie!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Here check it out, just made a screenshot. Only downside, it only comes in regular, so no bold. The italic the Kindle makes by itself.
Oh no! The spacing of Th in Thirty just blows it away.

I'll keep looking for a font to use for chapter headers.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #298
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Seagram sure looks nice for headers, but it would be a bit difficult for me to read an entire book like this. Still, very nice find.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #299
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Could you post a screenshot containing italics and quotation marks and/or apostrophes? I assume the chapter title is an image (looks like the font on the cover of The Knife of never letting go)?
I've been messing around with combining different fonts for the same reason I think.
Yes, that part is an image. And it is The Knife of Never Letting Go, actually

The quotation marks in the image are the ones I replaced. Lusitana has only straight (I don't know if there's a better name?) quotation marks and apostrophes and I prefer some curve.

I'm still waffling on the italics. Currently I'm using a y-height and right-margin edited commercial "Swash" font because I like the style and it looks feasibly close to Lusitana. Unfortunately, italicized all-caps words look really strange. I'm still deciding if that's enough to make me try another one or not. I may experiment with some others just to see if anything else strikes my fancy
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #300
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
After enabling the USE_ALT_FONTS "hack", I've tried many, many, MANY..... (let's just say, a huge amount of) fonts, but for some reason, I always come back to Caecilia 4.

It's not a beautiful font, but because of it's weight and plain representation, it's the easiest one to read. The facto that I have very poor eyesight (34% right, 7% left) is one to consider: it often makes that I choose fonts and themes on many devices for maximum readibility instead of beauty.

This enables me to read still read stuff while not setting a device to use a huge oversized font.

Many other fonts I've tried were too thick (e, a, and such get "filled up"), too thin, too spidery, too fancy, too small (needed to use size 5 or 6 to get a somewhat decent size, and it often didn't look good), just make me confuse letters; Baskerville is very thin, and it strains me to identify c or e at my reading speed, for example...

In the end, I always return to Caecilia 4.

It can also be that this is what I've gotten used to. IIRC, the KPW came with Caecilia 4 set as the default.

I've not been here for a long time. For people with a good memory: yes, I've upgraded my Touch to the Paperwhite as soon as I could import it to the Netherlands from Germany. My Touch is now owned by an aunt of mine. Best upgrade ever: the front light actually "finishes" the e-Reader for me. It's the one thing I've always wanted on the Touch

(By the way: why is it such a big deal for Amazon to let us add new fonts? My very first e-Reader, the Cybook Gen3, could do this out of the box, as far as I can remember.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-28-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote