Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #361
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I have heard comments that the 6" will read an 8GB card, but not a 16. I'm not disputing the validity of your post, but only basing it from my own learnings. Knowing the 6" can read a 16 is great news. However, with all of the card filled, it may lower the quality of service in relation to folder searching, file-access, etc... But you would know that more than I.

Also, I was only posting officially supported devices. Hanlin specifies that, due to their hardware, it could only officially support 4.GB, where the hardware on the 5", it could officially support 16.
Actually the SDHC format used by these devices can support up to 32Gig according to the standard. Of course this is only driver support and does not include issues with performance.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #362
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak also has 500,000 free Google eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I know lots of people dislike the Windows-only interface to the Sony ebook Store (with a Mac version coming soon), but it may end up being the premier ePub store in the US. I have the impression that many of the current LRX titles are not currently available as ePubs, so this is going to significantly increase ePub market penetration. They also already have all those Google ebooks as DRM-free ePubs.
Astak already has been approved for the same Google Free Ebooks as Sony has. Also, Astak has found Powell's Books and Books On Board to be excellent for purchasing ADE eBooks and both tell me they are growing their ADE library by about 3,000 ADE eBooks a month! Both Powells and Books On Board are a pleasure to work with and we will link websites!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #363
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The 4 gig limit is probably CYA for shit to come at initial launch, plus standard SD can go up to 4 gigs, thus more or less going "hey, we only support SD, not SDHC", although we know current firmware supports SDHC.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #364
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dale is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the SDHC format used by these devices can support up to 32Gig according to the standard. Of course this is only driver support and does not include issues with performance.

Dale

Yes, Astak lists what the factory says is the maximum BEST. They are taking speed into account as well. Yes, the EZ Reader can take 8 or 16GB cards... but it may slow the unit down. Likewise, the Pocket PRO will do 32GB cards... but you may give up a little speed.

Astak has to quote what the factory advises as they know what runs best and optimally (taking capacity and speed into account).

Last edited by Robertb; 08-18-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #365
Robertb

It is a best selling feature!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Well View Post
A small point - although the 6" unit officially supports only up to 4GB SD card, it will work flawlessly with certain 16 GB cards. Although 4 GB might be enough for most folks, I use the ebook to carry medical books in my white coat and easily filled up a 16 GB card. This is one of the biggest selling features of both units to me.
Dear Dragon_Well:

You know your stuff and I do not at all doubt you. However, we do not have that luxury. If we say: "run 16GB SDHC cards without fear" the factory would have a heart attack. We have to quote things as the factory tells us are their specs.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #366
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Dragon_Well:

You know your stuff and I do not at all doubt you. However, we do not have that luxury. If we say: "run 16GB SDHC cards without fear" the factory would have a heart attack. We have to quote things as the factory tells us are their specs.
I understand. I view a using 16 GB card in the 6" as a useful "hack" rather than a supported feature. I probably should have specified as well that the 6" is oddly picky about which 16 GB cards it will work with - I have two 16GB Adata brand cards of different models, and only one of them works. There's more discussion over at bebook forum.

I'm definitely looking forward to putting the pocket pro through the paces with a 32 GB card on board!
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #367
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear GA Russell:
The EZ Reader and the Pocket PRO are built by a factory in China that manufactures more eBook Readers than Amazon and Sony combined.

This factory has had the lowest number of returns that FRYs has seen...

All I can say is that build quality is the strength on these devices.
Robert, that's great to know!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #368
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The battery isn't replaceable, unless the feedback they got about this caused a design change (which I think is unlikely), see Interview with Wizpac, creators of the txtr at Leipzig Book Fair
Thanks for that link, wallcraft! That's good to know.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #369
Robertb

Additional pictures of Pocket PRO

Dear All:

I promised I would post additional pictures of the Pocket PRO showing: the device in the open case, the scroll wheel, one of the indents that holds the unit to the case, the SD card slot and USB port, the battery door with screw and the tiny external speaker, and the unit displaying horizontally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO straight on front.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	793.3 KB
ID:	34445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Nicely Horizontal Display.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	934.5 KB
ID:	34446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO scroll wheel and clip indent for case.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	554.8 KB
ID:	34447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO showing battery door and speaker.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	812.8 KB
ID:	34448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO showing SD and USB port.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	34449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO showing thin edges.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	558.9 KB
ID:	34450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO white in Case.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	687.2 KB
ID:	34451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Group Color.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	34452  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #370
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Bob,
Can you get us a few pictures of the Pocket Pro's battery (including the contacts). It would be nice to include a ruler for proper scale too.
Thanks,

P.S. just snapshots with your camera will be good. No need to get a professional photographer involved.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #371
Robertb

Get shots of battery with a ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Bob,
Can you get us a few pictures of the Pocket Pro's battery (including the contacts). It would be nice to include a ruler for proper scale too.
Thanks,

P.S. just snapshots with your camera will be good. No need to get a professional photographer involved.
Dear Slayda:

Surely will try!!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #372
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I don't think I realized that it does landscape. Maybe they all do, and I just didn't realize it.

Robert, is the conversion from portrait to landscape automatic like the txtr, or do you push a button like the jetBook?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #373
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
RobertB, a quick Question

Can you use the Pocket Pro when it is being charged by the USB?

If that is possible, it would be a great feature, as that is something I find very irritating with the Cybook Gen3, of not being able to continue reading when the Battery goes down.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #374
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I don't think I realized that it does landscape. Maybe they all do, and I just didn't realize it.

Robert, is the conversion from portrait to landscape automatic like the txtr, or do you push a button like the jetBook?
You select a menu item for ePUB and PDF, for others some do not do landscape and some do landscape if you zoom them, in which case landscape is dividing the page in half.

Dale
Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #375
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
RobertB, a quick Question

Can you use the Pocket Pro when it is being charged by the USB?

If that is possible, it would be a great feature, as that is something I find very irritating with the Cybook Gen3, of not being able to continue reading when the Battery goes down.
Yes, you can but not while it is mounted on the PC. When you plug in the USB you are given a choice.

Dale