Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Reviews on Amazon are becoming attack weapons

Quote:
Reviews on Amazon (AMZN) are becoming attack weapons, intended to sink new books as soon as they are published.

In the biggest, most overt and most successful of these campaigns, a group of Michael Jackson fans used Facebook and Twitter to solicit negative reviews of a new biography of the singer. They bombarded Amazon with dozens of one-star takedowns, succeeded in getting several favorable notices erased and even took credit for Amazon’s briefly removing the book from sale.

“Books used to die by being ignored, but now they can be killed — and perhaps unjustly killed,” said Trevor Pinch, a Cornell sociologist who has studied Amazon reviews. “In theory, a very good book could be killed by a group of people for malicious reasons.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/21/bu...smid=tw-share&

I'm not really a fan of Michael Jackson, but I was interested in learning about the last year of his life, so I read the book in question, "Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson,” by Randall Sullivan. Personally I found it to be a very sympathetic portrait, however his fans thought otherwise and really attacked it on Amazon leaving one star reviews. I posted some positive comments, but they were very quickly downvoted.

This was posted yesterday on the fan group's Facebook page:

Quote:
Sullivan is attacking on Amazon with his friends now and we can't allow him to get away with it! Please continue to post comments on the website and fight like HELL for MJ!
It's a shame that Amazon allows what is obviously an attack campaign against a book to continue in this manner.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When others try to influence what we can and cannot read, that is censorship. Period. If it affects Amazon's ability to sell its product, that is also a form of censorship, too. Amazon should stand up to this kind of thing; as an author, it sends chills down my spine.

As a consumer, I find it depressing. A free and open market is where you decide not to buy if you don't like a product, not force it out of the marketplace because you and a group of your friends don't like it.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
They're entitled to their opinions, of course, but causing favourable opinions to be taken off and even having the book taken down is wrong.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Reviews should only be allowed from people with an Amazon verified purchase of the item. If you bought it elsewhere, tough titty. They've got to try to maintain some integrity of the review process.

It happens everywhere, from fiction to bios to books written by politicians. It's disgusting and speaks volumes about the low character of these trolls.

Last edited by xg4bx; 01-23-2013 at 05:30 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Randyksy
Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am consumer, so I would like to say the market that you decided to purchase is the best place for your product.Its helps to maintain some integrity of review process.

Randyksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Reviews should only be allowed from people with an Amazon verified purchase of the item. If you bought it elsewhere, tough titty. They've got to try to maintain some integrity of the review process.

It happens everywhere, from fiction to bios to books written by politicians. It's disgusting and speaks volumes about the low character of these trolls.
This should have been implemented from the beginning. If you did not buy the book from Amazon you should not be able to post a review of any kind.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm not a fan of Jackson, but even the nytimes attacked this book. From their review:

"haphazard and unconvincing book"
"Mr. Sullivan fails to give us any new insight into Jackson’s enigmatic personality"
"Fans of Jackson’s talent (and even those readers only curious about the onstage phenomenon he once was) would be way better off viewing that documentary — or YouTube clips of the Motown show — than reading this bloated and thoroughly dispensable book."

This sounds like a bad cash grab that got its just deserts as opposed to a victim of malice.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's a brave new world. Free speech is hell.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I went over to read some of the reviews, and wow... what a volatile mess. Any 5 star review is getting negative comments by "fans" who supposedly knew Michael Jackson better than anyone else (yes, sarcasm). It's often the same member names jumping on the 5 star reviews within minutes of them being posted too. It's rather hilarious in a sick way.

I hope readers will ignore the comments on the reviews and make up their own minds if they want to read it or not. I find the majority of the reviews on that book totally useless. It's a shame that a simple book review can't be just that... a book review where a person can state their opinion.

At this point if I were Amazon, I'd probably disable reviews for the book entirely, they're pointless in this case. It's just fans bickering. But I suppose they see more people coming to the site = more advertising reaching those people which might = more sales. Gotta love the system that just makes me glad Amazon is my last place to purchase books only if I can't get a title anywhere else (which seldom happens).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A review system such as Amazon's is never going to be particularly trustworthy. I don't sweat it too much. I don't dwell on the reviews in the first place--and even when I do look at them, it's painfully apparent when there's a concerted agenda (pro or con) going on to all but the most oblivious of observers.

I'm not sure when we started believing that readers were entitled to an unbiased, honest appraisal of the quality of every single book in existence--before they read it--in the first place. If it intrigues you; download the free sample. If it still intrigues you after reading the sample; consider buying it. But let's stop pretending that Amazon's review system can ever evolve into anything particularly useful (or even relevant). I've enjoyed many a book in the past that "respected" reviewers all ganged up against too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
A bunch of reviews that were obviously attacks would actually make me MORE interested in a book. I get very curious when a book becomes controversial.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I'm not a fan of Jackson, but even the nytimes attacked this book. From their review:

"haphazard and unconvincing book"
"Mr. Sullivan fails to give us any new insight into Jackson’s enigmatic personality"
"Fans of Jackson’s talent (and even those readers only curious about the onstage phenomenon he once was) would be way better off viewing that documentary — or YouTube clips of the Motown show — than reading this bloated and thoroughly dispensable book."

This sounds like a bad cash grab that got its just deserts as opposed to a victim of malice.
I'm not sure I'm interested enough to care, but I have heard an opposing view from someone whose opinion I respect, a radio DJ and former music journalist.

It would be nice to be able to find out the opinions of unbiased readers.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A review system such as Amazon's is never going to be particularly trustworthy. I don't sweat it too much. I don't dwell on the reviews in the first place--and even when I do look at them, it's painfully apparent when there's a concerted agenda (pro or con) going on to all but the most oblivious of observers.

I'm not sure when we started believing that readers were entitled to an unbiased, honest appraisal of the quality of every single book in existence--before they read it--in the first place. If it intrigues you; download the free sample. If it still intrigues you after reading the sample; consider buying it. But let's stop pretending that Amazon's review system can ever evolve into anything particularly useful (or even relevant). I've enjoyed many a book in the past that "respected" reviewers all ganged up against too.
Truth!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
FWIW I read the reviews to see if they tell you more about what's in the book (or video) than the seller's advertising blurb does. I don't bother with opinions-just the facts (ma'am).
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't even pay attention to reviews from people who aren't listed as amazon verified purchases.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote