Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I don't think the numbers indicate the books sold outside of Sony's store. 90% of my books (the non-public domain books, that is) are from other stores. Since Amazon is the most prominent place for Kindle readers to get their books, the numbers are not easily compared.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Released in November 2007, the Kindle has sold more than a quarter million units. Its texts account for 10 percent of Amazon's book sales despite the fact that 200,000 titles -- a tiny fraction of the books offered on the site -- are available in digital form.
That same article goes on to mention the following:

While exact sales figures are hard to come by, recent estimates have put the Kindle's sales on par with other high-profile mobile devices in their first year. Amazon.com says that the Kindle is currently sold out due to heavy demand.

So I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Who considers the Sony to be a "better-made" device? I've had and used my Kindle for a year and it's working as it did when it was new. I have no idea if Sony will ultimately win out, but I would not bet against Amazon. From what I see, Sony is already behind and its reader has been out longer and it offers a greater variety of models. Oh, well, it really doesn't matter... I'm perfectly satisfied with the Kindle and I don't need to rush out and get the latest and greatest.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
That 3 million books sold probably includes the 100 classics ($199 value) that is given as promotion for all new PRS models.
Well, I would have thought that, too. But if there are 300,000 Readers and they each actually downloaded their 100 Sony Classics, then that would 30 million books "sold". That's ten times what they claim to have sold. So I'm assuming that, if the figures are correct, they mean sales of other books.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
In my opinion 300,000 units in 2 years is good, considering the device gets very little publicity or advertising and has only begun to be available in stores. And the reader is buried at the Sony.com site. You have to really look for it and want it.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Released in November 2007, the Kindle has sold more than a quarter million units. Its texts account for 10 percent of Amazon's book sales despite the fact that 200,000 titles -- a tiny fraction of the books offered on the site -- are available in digital form.

The above is from CNN.
Interesting. Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to see the rest of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotb0y View Post
That same article goes on to mention the following:

While exact sales figures are hard to come by, recent estimates have put the Kindle's sales on par with other high-profile mobile devices in their first year. Amazon.com says that the Kindle is currently sold out due to heavy demand.

So I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt
I'm afraid I tend to take pretty much anything CNN reports well salted -- touting a specific datum early in a report and then later admitting that it was ... let's call it "colonically generated," seems to be about par for their course.

Which is one reason I'd really like to see the whole article, if I can.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, once Sony has there wifi version out sometime next year, that is going to make it a bigger deal and give it more publicity all over the tech sites.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's a good point, Jon.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #24
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Who considers the Sony to be a "better-made" device? I've had and used my Kindle for a year and it's working as it did when it was new. I have no idea if Sony will ultimately win out, but I would not bet against Amazon. From what I see, Sony is already behind and its reader has been out longer and it offers a greater variety of models. Oh, well, it really doesn't matter... I'm perfectly satisfied with the Kindle and I don't need to rush out and get the latest and greatest.
I don't want to see either 'win out'. I like the fact that we have a choice in the market. I would never have bought the Kindle for myself at the same price I paid for my Sony, and yet on my recommendation I helped someone to purchase a Kindle who had need of its features. I've also helped Sony to sell about 4 or 5 PRS-505's. And introduced a few dozen others to the world of the liseuse.

If it wasn't for conversion problems and poorly designed manufacturer software half of us probably would have never came to MobileRead to begin with.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
In my opinion 300,000 units in 2 years is good, considering the device gets very little publicity or advertising and has only begun to be available in stores. And the reader is buried at the Sony.com site. You have to really look for it and want it.
I think 300,000 in 2 years is pretty good sales, too. Sony would not have developed the PRS-700 if they didn't think they had a good market. It certainly doesn't look like Sony is going to let Amazon's Kindle dominate the market. They're actually being aggressive in terms of coming out with new models with additional features. And, yes, I think Sony selling through brick and mortar stores instead of limiting their products online is one thing that's going for them
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I suspect there are quite a few people like me that bought the 500/505 and never even registered with the Sony shop, let alone bought any books.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Interesting. Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to see the rest of it
The article is here.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I thought 300.000 is a very small number for such a big corporation as Sony...but I don't understand anything about business, so...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #29
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I suspect there are quite a few people like me that bought the 500/505 and never even registered with the Sony shop, let alone bought any books.
That probably includes most of the people in the UK (Like me) who are unable to purchase books through the sony website... (unless they get somebody to buy the vouchers!)

The only time I would purchase through waterstones (which they would likely use for their UK stats) is if I couldn't find the book cheaper elsewhere (only 1 book that I am after so far that I can only get on waterstones or whsmith and I am waiting for the paperback so it will come down in price!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #30
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
It would also be interesting to see what the recent sales figures look like compared to the total over time. Has it ramped up or is it a flat number. Given the complete lack of advertising until recently those numbers probably aren't that bad.

In regards to book sales I would guess many people on this forum don't buy any books from Sony, but those people who aren't aware of these sites probably buy a high percentage of titles from Sony.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
numbers, sales, sony, wireless