Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Arrow Free eBook ploy works on me!

In the past three weeks, I have ended up buying books after reading an author's free book. About half way thru Tracy Falbre's Union of Renegades: The Ryes Chronicles Book I, I was hooked and bought the other three in the series. This week I finished Selene by Lilith Saintcrow, which was posted via Feedbooks, and I bought two more of her books yesterday. Will it ever end? Free books are starting to cost me $! Am I the only one this happens to??
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Yes, that has happened to me too! It's not always a bad thing, for instance you can't go wrong with books by Lilith Saintcrow. I have everything she has written which has been released to ebook format. Yes, I got hooked early on!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
In the past three weeks, I have ended up buying books after reading an author's free book. About half way thru Tracy Falbre's Union of Renegades: The Ryes Chronicles Book I, I was hooked and bought the other three in the series.
I have her free book in the queue of those I want to read sooner than later. But, I'll only buy the rest of the series if I can buy them in an electronic format for reading on my Kindle or on the Sony Reader. In other words, a free {electronic} book is *not* an incentive for me to buy paper books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Works on me! I read Eric Flint's very good '1632' which was a freebie and now, damn it, I'm hooked and have bought the next two in the series.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I have her free book in the queue of those I want to read sooner than later. But, I'll only buy the rest of the series if I can buy them in an electronic format for reading on my Kindle or on the Sony Reader. In other words, a free {electronic} book is *not* an incentive for me to buy paper books.
If memory serves me, the whole set is about $15 in eBook form. They are loaded and ready for reading in my Sony!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recently finished The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen and it was very good. I'm going to purchase the next book in the series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
If memory serves me, the whole set is about $15 in eBook form. They are loaded and ready for reading in my Sony!
Wonderful. So as soon as I read the first book -- if I enjoy it, I'll definitely head over to Falbe Publications and buy the rest.

I should point out that having read a couple of free books from Baen, I've spent 'way too much money over there. And even though Jeffrey Carver is making more than his first book available to download for free, I dropped some money in the tip jar and will give more if I read more than the first book. Tor's give-away of Old Man's War resulted in the sale of The Ghost Brigades. I got two of Julia Spencer-Fleming's "Father Clare" novels for free from Amazon and I've now bought the next 3 in the series.

So yes. Giving away a book is definitely getting my future business.

Last edited by Elsi; 09-24-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Worked on me too. Read City Of Pearl free from Harper Collins and have now bought the 2 following in the series. Really enjoying the story.

A positive negative I suppose is that I have read a few free books that didn't tempt me and so I saved money by not buying a book to try out.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Free e-books is the snare they use to draw us in I tell you! Damn them, damn the all to hell!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, I have experienced the exact same thing, read a freebie and liked it so much I had to buy the entire series, it's a very nasty thing to do

Just wished prices for e-books would start dropping, these "free" e-books is going to ruin me!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 1632 series is big. Especially if you include the Grantville Gazettes.

The CD-ROM from the 6th book is freely available at

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/13-TheBalticWarCD/

and contains the previous five books for free. Even 1634 - The Balitic War is available for free on one of the later CD-ROMs.

The CD-ROMs, and images of the CD-ROMs, are freely redistributable. Baen Books knows about the web site, and has no objections.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Works on me! I read Eric Flint's very good '1632' which was a freebie and now, damn it, I'm hooked and have bought the next two in the series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free books