Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
"Formatting..." & Reset bug

I was wondering if the new firmware will fix this bug.
It is just a slightly annoying bug, which sometimes resets the 505 when I load a book which it needs to format: it displays the "Formatting" arrows icon, then resets.
Not that I see it often, say once every five,six books that need reformat.
Neither there is any regular pattern, say it hits some book more often than some other... not at all.

I never wrote about it 'til now since it's not so annoying, but I was wondering if maybe 1) it is just my 505 that shows this bug, and 2) if the new firmware fixed it.

cheers

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No idea if the new firmware fixes the bug. But, you can maybe overcome the bug by using eBook Library to send your content to your 505. By using eBook Library, it does all the formatting/paginating ahead of time and tells the reader about it. So you don't need to have the 505 itself do it. Saves time and battery and might bypass the bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, you can maybe overcome the bug by using eBook Library to send your content to your 505
Damn, I constantly use Calibre...

Anyway, what do you say? It's a well-known bug I never heard about? Or is it just me?

alessandro
Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a known bug that if it's complex enough. But also that using eBook Library can overcome that bug in some cases. Can't say all cases as I have no experience with the bug.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
alexxxm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a known bug that if it's complex enough.
I see. In fact, the only thing that seemed constant was that it was complex books that resetted it.

So... I usually keep 30-40 books on it, uploaded by Calibre: I could (periodically) re-upload them by Sony Library.
Or I could just select the bigger (more than 500 pages?) or more complex (hyperlink heavy?).
Anyway it's annoying...

thanks for the help!

alessandro
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Every single book will do the "formatting" thing as far as I know (when you open it for the first time), it might be that some small books are formatted so quickly that you don't see it.

I've not seen this reset bug, and I've been loading lots of books.

Perhaps you could isolate one that does crash your reader and upload it here? I would gladly load it on mine to test.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THis bug should be fixed for epub books on the 505 (it doesn't do layout). So you can wait for calibre to add epub as an output format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
alexxxm
Addict

One thing I noticed, is that it doesnt seem true that a book is formatted just once (by Sony Library when uploading, or by the first opening in the reader).
The behaviour I saw is more similar to internal caching of formatted copies of frequently used books, within a limited space: something similar to the caching of man pages under unix.
So if I open and have a book formatted, then open a sufficiently high number of books, eventually reopening the first book will make it to require to be formatted again.

Until now I believed that my "reset bug" would hit me right at the overflowing of this caching memory, and the reset was needed to clear it.
Seeing people never having experienced it, however, casts doubt on this...

alessandro
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've never seen the 505 have to reformat any eBook put on by using eBook Library.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The layout is cached in the files media.xml/cache.xml
Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I thought so. Thanks for clarifying for sure.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Makes sense, since I found Calibre I dumped that itunes-for-books wannabe piece of windows crap Sony bundles with the reader. And lately I have been just schlepping them on by mounting the reader as a disk and copying.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
alexxxm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
and, as a typical cache, is reset periodically?

alessandro
Old 07-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

only if the reader crashes or other nasty things happen
Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One thing that can cause the cache to be reset is if you disconnect the reader from the USB port before it's done.