Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Preserving foreign characters from epub to mobi in Calibre

I bought an epub book and have been trying to convert it to mobi for my wife's Kindle. It's translated from Japanese to English, but some of the principle characters named "Sōseki" and "Sanshirō" (I hope the symbols can be seen with everyone's browser), for example, are still accented.

With no "look & feel" options checked, the accented characters appear as question marks in mobi. And when I convert with the "unicode to ASCII" option, the accented nouns are replaced with "vanilla" English equivalents -- as the the option says it does.

Is there any way to preserve the identical accent marks and symbols in mobi with Calibre's conversion process? Any settings I may have overlooked? Or is this the best I can expect?

Thank you in advance for some assistance with this issue!

Last edited by markpearl; 07-30-2011 at 04:05 PM.
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A question mark appearing in the mobi file is a symptom of the Kindle not having font/code page combination for the character. To handle this sort of characters you need to specify the code page to be used. The reader also needs to have fonts corresponding to the specified code page.

In theory the ePub file should already be specifying the code page, but it is possible that it is being handled incorrectly. You could alwys use the Calibre 'teak epub' feature to explode the epub file and peek at the html contained in it to see if that helps - often the code page is specified at the start of the html file. Unfortunately working out the correct code page can be a bit trial-and -error. You might find that it is something like utf-8 if you are lucky.

Last edited by itimpi; 07-30-2011 at 04:54 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Valid ePub already has to be UTF8 or UTF16, no other code page is allowed. Granted I agree that I have seen badly encoded ePubs as well, but usually the ePub won't display the characters correctly in that case.

You might want to check this page:
http://freekindlebooks.org/Unicode/unicode.html

If the Kindle can support that character or a similar glyph it would show up in one of those test files. You can use search and replace to search for the any variant it does support.

I suspect 'transliterate unicode to ascii' might be your only option that doesn't require hacking the Kindle's fonts, etc.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your replies!

Oddly enough, my issues with the distorted unicodes disappeared when I transferred the converted mobi to my wife's Kindle! The problem was with the way Kindle for PC displayed it, not with the actual Kindle. Next time I'll know better before suspecting an "issue" with Calibre :0)
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote