Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
gatorgal
gatorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader (PRS-300)
Question about formats

I'm new to the Sony Reader and am interested in downloading some free e-books. I went to the Gutenberg site and there's lots of things I'd like to download, but I didn't know which format to use. I'd prefer to use one that is a real e-book format, rather than PDF. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Lynn
gatorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
See if they have the book you want as an ePub.

Be sure to check the books here at Mobile Read and see if the book you want is available here (either in epub or lrf) as they will be formatted much better. You can also try Feedbooks or Manybooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I'm becoming a fan of epub; the last few books I've downloaded from this site have all been this format.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome Lynn to MR and to the amazing world of e-books. You have already found one of the best sights for free epub format books.

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgal View Post
I'm new to the Sony Reader and am interested in downloading some free e-books. I went to the Gutenberg site and there's lots of things I'd like to download, but I didn't know which format to use. I'd prefer to use one that is a real e-book format, rather than PDF. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Lynn
Hello Lynn, I am pretty new to the Sony Reader myself. I have found that the epub format from Feedbooks displays very nicely on my 300 Pocket Reader. They have loads of great free books. All the best,
Ian
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I have to say, I've looked at a few ePubs-- and I don't like them. I also don't like LRF files. There is too little text per page even on the smallest font. I strongly prefer "reflowed" PDFs or RTFs or TXT files.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
PG ePubs gave me some problems in the past (page size, mainly, which is WEIRD). I still use them, not having calibre because of compatibility problems with current OS; if I had calibre I'd get html files and convert them to ePub. Sometimes I also try my hand with Sigil (freeware for ePub creation), but I find that html from PG is crappier than, say, the one from WikiSource (which is a lot!), and I have to clean it up a bit before use.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
lrf if you want the text justified, epub if you don't.

I've started only buying epubs because I think that's the format that will still be supported in a few years. Sony's ebookstore is going to go all epub in December.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote