Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
cstromme
cstromme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Format of RTFs?

Hi everybody, I just got my first ebook today after finding these forums a couple of weeks back and reading the suggestion-threads.

I have a large archive of books in RTF format, and for future compatibility I'm not really interested in converting all of these to the LRF format. I would love for them to appear "properly" on the reader though, as in the book title and author being properly recognized by it. I see some of my books appear to be listed correctly, others are just listed as the filename, and some even have some weird, but real, author names that I can't seem to find anywhere in the files.

So, how do I name the RTF files so that the title and author is parsed correctly by the Sony reader?

Oh, I have the 505 if that matters in any way, and I'm on OS X so I can't use the software that came with it.
cstromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
That's why I've been working on making .pdfs to view on the Sony --- should be pretty straight-forward w/ the .rtfs on Mac OS X, just open them in TextEdit.app and ``print'' to a .pdf.

There's been some discussion of this, and ISTR someone having posted a .ppd file which would optimize such .pdfs for pagesize and fontsize.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
cstromme

But what is the reader doing to get the title of the book and the author from the RTF files? It must be parsing it somehow?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're encoded in the header of the RTF. This thread will likely be of interest, and help to you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstromme View Post
But what is the reader doing to get the title of the book and the author from the RTF files? It must be parsing it somehow?
It's the document information. If you have Microsoft Word, display the document properties, and simply fill in the "Author" and "Title" fields.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
cstromme

Thank you! Seems I can edit this in TextEdit.