Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you; I'd overlooked step 2! I believe, though, that the date range the book is valid for is encoded in the DRM information within the file. It would seem reasonable that this is compared to the Gen3's clock at the time that the book is opened. I honestly can't think of any reason it should matter if the clock is changed before or after the book is copied to the device - can you?
Yes. I think it is implemented so the file get a timestamp when it is copied to the device (the time of the internal clock). And the time you can read it depends on the timestamp of the file. Otherwise it would be a support nightmare with computers with incorrect time. On the other hand they have to manage the DRM in some way so you just cannot update the timestamp on the file. Maybe that is hard to do.

Well, it is easy to test. Just set the clock one month back and see if the library books work or not.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #47
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The ebook's encryption status is modified to include a "time bomb" for library books.

When I check the library ebook's properties in Mobipocket's desktop version, I see next to "Encryption" the following words: "PID encrypted (xx days left)" where the "xx days left" contains a count of the days left to read the book before it expires. Encrypted books I purchase simply show the words "PID encrypted" in this field.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-18-2008 at 01:22 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #48
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes

Clevnet consortia as bought Overdrive (http://www.overdrive.com) solution for libraries.
It was, the first public library to have a complete solution to manage commercial eBooks in a library environment concerning the circulation part of the library activity - and this was in 2003!

The solution puts a “Mission Impossible” type of auto diactivativation setting in the file downloaded, making it stopping opening after a period of time - normally 14 ou 21 days for eBooks - in this solution this is configured by the library itself.

For this to work one must have a reader with the capacity do read in the format the library has (mobipocket in this example), but the reader it must also have a working internal clock, one that counts minutes, hours and days, and who knows actual date correctly.

What I’m inferring is that the Cybook as not the date set by default and until Bookeen puts on the OS a option of us doing it from a menu, they have come out with the procedure described above, the one that for now sets the date correct (and possibly puts the clock in motion).

As I said, this solution is one of the DRM options available in several formats (lit and PDF have this option too), and make part of the solution provided by Overdrive for the circulation problem in libraries - this way a library does not have to concern itself with users checking in their books, at 00:01 minute of the 15th day (or 22th), the file stops working and the counter of the eBooks available for that title in the library is incremented by one (if it were 2, 1 cheked out and 1 available, there are now 2 available).

For a bought eBook there is not that restriction, that’s why ProfJulie does not see that “counting down” information in his bought eBook.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 03-18-2008 at 03:42 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #49
Saturn0660
Saturn0660 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3G
well, we've decided to keep the cybook and i'll use what julie is using until bookeen has the firmware update for it.. she likes it and i guess thats all the matters..
Saturn0660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #50
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn0660 View Post
well, we've decided to keep the cybook and i'll use what julie is using until bookeen has the firmware update for it.. she likes it and i guess thats all the matters..
The workaround that I got from Bookeen is working great on my Cybook and so, for me anyway, this issue is resolved. I look forward to the update because I hope it will add more user accessible functionality to the Cybook (like enabling the delete button).

I requested and received the Cybook as a Christmas gift, and I really do love it. I wish for better navigation and some more functionality, but that will come with time. I was reluctant about eBooks and eBook Readers for quite a while and didn't really get what the big deal was, until I got my Cybook.

I'm glad to hear you've decided to keep the Cybook and I hope you will be as satisfied with it as I am with mine.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #51
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Clevnet eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBear View Post
Andy,

You're using a Clevnet library? That's funny - I *work* in a Clevnet library. I'm following this thread so I can tell my patrons that there is a way to get an ebook reader to work with our books.
Hey, Great Bear ... any chance of convincing the powers that be that Mobipocket is an up-and-coming format? Seems like for at least the last 6 months, the only new eBooks they've purchased in Mobipocket format are from Harlequin. Other new eBooks seem to be in Adobe format only.

Miki
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote