Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No.

I am looking forward to several of the "Year's Best Anthologies" next month though!

Which ones? For the short stories, aren't they out already?
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No, otherwise I wouldn't be waiting on them. Duh!

October 2, 2012
The Best American Essays 2012 (The Best American Series (R))

October 2, 2012
The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2012

October 2, 2012
The Best American Short Stories 2012 (Best American R)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll second the Twelve by Cronin. I really liked the first one.

I'm also awaiting Winter, the sequel to Fall of Giants by Follet. I hadn't read Fall of Giants, being disappointed with reviews, but I am anxious to see reviews for Winter. If there is a general uptick from Fall of Giants, I'll probably read both.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How could Winter be a Fall book? Now I'm really confused.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The next Jack Reacher book by Lee Child is released tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that.
Oooohhh. I didn't realise it was today. I could give a flying doodah whether it's Summer or Fall. I want it!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story"

(Ducks and runs)

Just curious...
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Oooohhh. I didn't realise it was today. I could give a flying doodah whether it's Summer or Fall. I want it!
but the DooDah Parade is in the SPRING!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #23
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Really. That's not a Fall book either. Clearly a Winter book. Why don't people ever read thread titles?

Yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek. I am most definitely joking.
Joking or not, I am confused when the seasons start. The Winter solstice is Dec 21st, so is that the start of winter? If so, the 1st Dec is still Fall.

Anyway. I am waiting to read Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone #11), which is due out mid-Sept. Is that Summer or Fall? I know not, and care less.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find the collective lack of respect for equinoxes and solstices in this thread alarming—not to mention slightly appalling.
Spoiler:
Just in case it's necessary...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Joking or not, I am confused when the seasons start. The Winter solstice is Dec 21st, so is that the start of winter? If so, the 1st Dec is still Fall.

Anyway. I am waiting to read Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone #11), which is due out mid-Sept. Is that Summer or Fall? I know not, and care less.
How could the Winter Solstice be the start of Winter? I prefer to go by month:

March, April, May: Spring
June, July, August: Summer
September, October, November: Autumn (OK, "Fall", if you insist.)
December, January, February: Winter

As for me - I'm looking forward to
1635: The Papal Stakes in September
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance in October
and
Darkship Renegades in December.

But not I must stop looking at the Baen ebooks sites, or my TBR list will balloon impossibly. Perhaps in January I'll splash out a bit.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-30-2012 at 07:31 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Really. That's not a Fall book either. Clearly a Winter book. Why don't people ever read thread titles?
Winter is generally regarded as starting at the solstice: 21st December, so 1st December is still autumn .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Winter is generally regarded as starting at the solstice: 21st December
Not by me!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
How could the Winter Solstice be the start of Winter? I prefer to go by month:

March, April, May: Spring
June, July, August: Summer
September, October, November: Autumn (OK, "Fall", if you insist.)
December, January, February: Winter
By month seems a bit random to me. Aren't there any "official" start dates. I have tried looking it up and am not much clearer. And HarryT seems to disagree with you about the Solstice thing, making me feel a little less stupid...

And I quote from one article "The start of winter—the winter solstice—is the shortest day of the year, when the Sun reaches its most southern point in the sky at local noon."

Last edited by orlok; 08-30-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Doesn't matter, the world ends on December 21st anyway. I've chartered a flight to the planet Mongo. I'm taking the black-and-white version piloted by Buster Crabbe and propelled by buzzing sparklers.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote