Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #736
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Davina Porter does a good job reading them. I got stuck in the series after they got to the US, but have the others here and will get back to them when I finally have more time to listen. These aren't books you can knock off in a few days of listening!
I don't think I'll be posting *very often* but I thought it would be fun to participate with all of my listens this year.

I may listen to as many as three -- or four! -- books in this series before the year is out.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #737
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
The first Black Mask Pulps collection - Doors in the Dark that's on sale at Downpour. I've got the 3rd collection up next in the queue. It features Dashiell Hammett's Maltese Falcon, and I couldn't possibly pass that up.

It's interesting listening to this genre as opposed to reading it off the page. I found out that my internal voice for the written word with old pulps sounds remarkably like Humphrey Bogart. Had to make the adjustment for other, non-Bogey narrators with the audiobooks.

Really enjoying them and recommend highly to anyone who liked any of Penzler's other collections or old hardboiled fiction in general.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #738
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Anyway, with the new year, I've started listening to the third Outlander book, Voyager (unabridged and narrated by Davina Porter.) I'm a fan of the series and this is my first time listening my way through it. I'm a bit of a skimmer, so I'm catching a lot of details now that I missed even in multiple reads. (Apparently I always skip the same bits. LOL)
Quote:
Davina Porter does a good job reading them. I got stuck in the series after they got to the US, but have the others here and will get back to them when I finally have more time to listen. These aren't books you can knock off in a few days of listening!
Just in case you're interested and weren't aware they are making a tv series of the Outlander books First Trailer

I'm currently listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I'm enjoying it very much the story seems to be dragging along a little slowly but the language is so beautiful and the character so likeable that I don't mind The narration by David Pittu is so pitch perfect that I will definitely be checking out other books he has done.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #739
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Just in case you're interested and weren't aware they are making a tv series of the Outlander books First Trailer
I am both excited and scared for it to come out. It is on Starz, and I have a subscription, so I'll check it out when it is released.

I have high hopes for it, but I know you all understand how scary it is to have a favorite book adapted for video. That it is a mini-series, rather than a movie, is good sign!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 AM   #740
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just started the second Repairman Jack novel Legacies by F. Paul Wilson. So far so good, with none of the slightly paranormal overtones of the first book. There's still time, though, as I'm not too far in yet. The narration is pretty good too, with clear delineation of the characters.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #741
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post

I'm currently listening to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I'm enjoying it very much the story seems to be dragging along a little slowly but the language is so beautiful and the character so likeable that I don't mind The narration by David Pittu is so pitch perfect that I will definitely be checking out other books he has done.
Yeah, I'd heard they were. We'll see. My concern is that to make them not be totally gutted they'll have to make each book a 26 episode series, and I just don't think that's going to happen. Be lucky to get each book as a 6 episode mini-series. And there's way too much detail in them to make that work, IMO.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #742
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Last week I finished Small Gods read by Nigel Planer. It was quite an enjoyable listen and got me through a few strenuous runs . Now listening Amulet of Samarkand read by Steven Pacey. Still very early in in the book to comment anything.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #743
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer, read by Eve Matheson

Quote:
Went with a tried and true surety -- a Georgette Heyer, The Nonesuch, read by Eve Matheson. This is a good example of a Georgette Heyer Regency. Humorous, well-written, and all comes right in the end. And the reading by Ms. Matheson is good, not intrusive and with good pace and character separation.
Excellent read, very much enjoyed! Now, on to Necessity's Child, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, well read by Eileen Stevens. This is book #16 of the 17 in the Liaden Universe, and the fifth that Ms. Stevens has read. (She's the reader for the Fledgling Arc.)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #744
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Picked up two Laundry Files audios by Charles Stross with my Feb credits.
The Atrocity Archives
and The Apocalypse Codex. Lovecraft meets Procedural - love the protagonist, and his dry wit.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
A series of science fiction spy thrillers about Bob Howard (a pseudonym taken for security purposes), a one-time I.T. consultant, now field agent working for British government agency "the Laundry", which deals with occult threats. Influenced by Lovecraft's visions of the future, and set in a world where a computer and the right mathematical equations is just as useful a tool-set for calling up horrors from other dimensions as a spell-book and a pentagram on the floor.
Tor has several Laundry Files novellas online, if anyone wants to try them out. I read Equiod and was hooked. Haven't gotten to the other two (Overtime & Down on the Farm).
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #745
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Excellent read, very much enjoyed! Now, on to Necessity's Child, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, well read by Eileen Stevens. This is book #16 of the 17 in the Liaden Universe, and the fifth that Ms. Stevens has read. (She's the reader for the Fledgling Arc.)
Finished Necessity's Child. This is an excellent addition to the Liaden Universe, and quite well read by Eileen Stevens. It's a bit of an out of context read for the main story lines, being mostly about the Kompani, and about but I'll be interested to see what comes out of this line. IAC,

Next up? Not sure. Have to think on that. I have a bunch of books here, waiting to be listened to, plus I have 4 credits in the bank. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #746
sharphamster
Anathema Device

The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection. Narrated by Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone, which is pretty much perfect, though I prefer Sir Christopher Lee's reading of The Raven to Basil Rathbone's.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #747
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My to be listened to list keeps building and building. Right now, in the car, I'm listening to James Hogan's "The Gentle Giants of Ganymede", written back in the late 70's. It's a bit dated, written back in the days where smoking and drinking constantly was the norm and when everyone expected an end to war (I guess that makes it fantasy rather than SF ;-) ), but still one of my favorite books. The reader is pretty good.

At work, I'm listening to "King David's Spaceship", by Jerry Pournelle. Pournelle successfully anticipated smart phones/tablets. The book is good as is the reader. Definitely better than the reader for a couple of his other books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #748
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Amelia Peabody Series

Quote:
Finished Necessity's Child. This is an excellent addition to the Liaden Universe, and quite well read by Eileen Stevens. It's a bit of an out of context read for the main story lines, being mostly about the Kompani, and about but I'll be interested to see what comes out of this line. IAC,

Next up? Not sure. Have to think on that. I have a bunch of books here, waiting to be listened to, plus I have 4 credits in the bank. Decisions, decisions.
Next up, The Curse of the Pharaohs, by Elizabeth Peters, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. This is the second book in the Amelia Peabody series. An excellent series and an excellent reader.

Warning: There are two different readers for all the Amelia Peabody books, Ms. Rosenblat, and Susan O'Malley. I'm sure Ms. O'Malley is a good reader for some books, but the idea of an American accent for Amelia Peabody, a Victorian-era English woman, is just too ludicrous and painful. Make sure you choose the Rosenblat versions.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #749
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
At work, I'm listening to "King David's Spaceship", by Jerry Pournelle. Pournelle successfully anticipated smart phones/tablets. The book is good as is the reader. Definitely better than the reader for a couple of his other books.
Sounds (heh) great! Picked up the epub from Baen and put it on my Audible list. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #750
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed by Lance Axt, the reader for Pournelle's "West of Honor" or "Birth of Fire". I like Rob Dean (King David's Spaceship), a lot more.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations