Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
gymiang
gymiang began at the beginning.

Device: none
ereader for both kindle books and ebooks.com

Hi,

I have some ebooks from www.ebooks.com and I have been reading them using Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) on a PC. I recently received a couple of Amazon kindle ebooks and I am thinking of getting a Kindle to read all my ebooks... but I realise that Kindle does not read the ADE ebooks.

Are there ereaders that can read both Amazon Kindle ebooks and ADE ebooks?? Thanks.

Jim
gymiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nope. The only e-reader that reads Kindle DRM in its native form is the Kindle and the Kindle does not read EPub books.

If your books using ADE are not DRMed you can convert them using Calibre and put them on a Kindle.

If they are DRMed you have to decide if you are comfortable stripping DRM and converting.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
gymiang

Thanks ProfCrash.

How do I know whether my ADE ebooks are DRMed or not? Thanks again.

Jim
Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure. Normally books bought from one of the main bookstores are DRMed. So anything from Sony, B&N, Kobo Books, I would assume are DRMed. Hopefully someone here can give you a better answer.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
gymiang

Thanks ProfCrash. Do I really have to get two devices to read all my ebooks remotely? Will iPad solve the problem?
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymiang View Post
Hi,

I have some ebooks from www.ebooks.com and I have been reading them using Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) on a PC. I recently received a couple of Amazon kindle ebooks and I am thinking of getting a Kindle to read all my ebooks... but I realise that Kindle does not read the ADE ebooks.

Are there ereaders that can read both Amazon Kindle ebooks and ADE ebooks?? Thanks.

Jim
Yes, there are plenty.
One might not call them "ereaders" though, as they are "way much more".
Lots of tablets, be it iPad or Galaxy Tab or Streak, can install lots of reader apps in parallel. The Kindle app is available on more or less all platforms imaginable. And ePUB, as the quasi-standard for eBooks, is widely supported as well.

On Android tablets like Streak or Galaxy Tab, you can install the "txtr" app for DRMed ePUBs and PDFs (ADE). For DRM-free ePUBs or PDFs there are tons of options.
On iPad, you can use DRM-free ePUBs and PDFs in Apple's iBooks app.

And the Kindle app works flawlessly on all of these. And it even synchronizes between the various readers: You can start a book on your PC, continue on iPhone and finish on Kindle for example.

On dedicated ePaper units like Sony, Amazon, B&N, iRex, PocketBook, .... usually you have to decide for a single DRMed format. Amazon won't allow other formats (with the exception of DRM-free PDFs) on their Kindles.
Same for the others: If a reader can do DRMed ePUBs, it won't handle any other DRMed format.

You can strip your eBooks from DRM of course. Then you can convert to the format of choice.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks ProfCrash.

How do I know whether my ADE ebooks are DRMed or not? Thanks again.

Jim
On your PC, you'll read them in Adobe Digital editions. You can de-activate your account and see, whether the books still open. If so, they are DRM-free.
Or you can drop your ePUBs into "calibre" or any other conversion program. You'll see an error message, if your books are DRMed.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks ProfCrash. Do I really have to get two devices to read all my ebooks remotely? Will iPad solve the problem?
iPad is one of many options. Or any Android tablet. Or any netbook/notebook/PC.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-02-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
The IPad can use apps to read books from B&N and Amazon. I am sure there are other e-reader apps out there.

I do not see a need for an IPad for my own use. I don't need a tablet, I needed an e-reader. I like that I can hold my DXG in one hand, read in the sun without any issues, and my battery lasts a long time. I travel enough that I want a battery that is going to last longer then 8-10 hours.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
gymiang

Thanks mgmueller and ProfCrash! Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I prefer to have a dedicated ereader... if possible... as I do like to have a light device on my hand when reading. How do I strip my ebooks of DRM? Any legal concerns?? I did a check in Calibre and all my ebooks are DRMed!

I will probably strip all the ebooks of DRM and then convert to Kindle format and buy a kindle. Amazon seems to be offering a wider range of books that I am interested in and at a cheaper price.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Thanks ProfCrash. Do I really have to get two devices to read all my ebooks remotely?
That's what I ended up doing. If I had my Droid back then, I doubt that I would have bought the Kindle at all.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks mgmueller and ProfCrash! Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I prefer to have a dedicated ereader... if possible... as I do like to have a light device on my hand when reading. How do I strip my ebooks of DRM? Any legal concerns?? I did a check in Calibre and all my ebooks are DRMed!

I will probably strip all the ebooks of DRM and then convert to Kindle format and buy a kindle. Amazon seems to be offering a wider range of books that I am interested in and at a cheaper price.
How to strip from DRM:
You have to install "Python" and some additional tools on your PC.
Then you need some scripts. For Kindle, google for "Kindle DeDRM".
You're right: Amazon usually does have the lowest prices and the biggest selection of titles.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I have never stripped DRM. There are websites that can walk you through how to do it. We are not allowed to give instructions or website locations here.

There are some countries and states where it is illegal to strip DRM, I don't have a list. There are some folks who think that it is legal to strip DRM as long as it is for personal use and you don't make the non-DRM fils available to all on the darknet. There are others who think that this is not legal. The reality is that it is a grey area of the law and you should do what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I have not had a need to strip the DRM off of a book because Amazon has had all the books that I want at a reasonable price. (shrugs) There are others who feel that the safest thing to do with any book that you buy is to strip it of its DRM immediatly.

I would recommend saving all of your books to your computer so that you have your own archive no matter what else you do.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My alratek was specifically designed to handle ebooks.com
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have never stripped DRM. There are websites that can walk you through how to do it. We are not allowed to give instructions or website locations here.

There are some countries and states where it is illegal to strip DRM, I don't have a list. There are some folks who think that it is legal to strip DRM as long as it is for personal use and you don't make the non-DRM fils available to all on the darknet. There are others who think that this is not legal. The reality is that it is a grey area of the law and you should do what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I have not had a need to strip the DRM off of a book because Amazon has had all the books that I want at a reasonable price. (shrugs) There are others who feel that the safest thing to do with any book that you buy is to strip it of its DRM immediatly.

I would recommend saving all of your books to your computer so that you have your own archive no matter what else you do.
In general, I agree with your statement.
There's one flaw with the existing DRM though:
Amazon's DRM (and others) is bound to your specific unit = your Kindle's serial number. You can't use the file you download to your PC on any other Kindle, for example a replacement unit in 2 years. This happened to me, when upgrading from Kindle DX to DX Graphite. New reader = new serial number = re-downloading >300 eBooks.
No problem for now. But what if Amazon would leave this area of business?
Might not seem realistic for now, given their success.
But you never know about strategic decisions of global corporates. Has happened before...
It simply is safer to make your content freely available in advance. Just in case...

Tags
adobe digital edition, kindle