Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #106
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
I tried Moon+, and lack of css support is a show-stopper for me. My e-books look essentially like unformatted text without css.

If the devs add css and highlights/annotations, they could have a winner on their hands.

(As an aside, I wonder how much development energy is devoted to supporting multiple formats - thanks to calibre, format support within a device is much less important than it once was, and seems like it should be a lower priority than adding other features).

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #107
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've tried iSilo, Aldiko, Kindle and a few others I forget the name of now. For consistency and features, I don't think FBReader can be beaten. I use it every day and wouldn't swap.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #108
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
It turns out fling paging can be disabled in the Miscellanious Settings of Moon+. Still, I think I'm going back to Aldiko, even though it's sometimes laggy. Moon+ often either loses or repeats a line between one page and the next, and I like Aldiko's handling of the bookshelf better.

Moon+ shows a lot of promise though.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #109
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Moon+ often ... repeats a line between one page and the next,
I think that, too, is a setting preference.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #110
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
Since my original post recommending Moon+ Reader, they have issued several updates. The thumbnails feature is working fine now. The repeating last line from the previous page to the next page is intentional for the sake of continuity. They have added to some more language support, but I'm not sure which ones. Their website has little information beyond a list of features an screenshots, but they are incredibly responsive to emails and suggestions. I wanted to be able to adjust autoscroll speed with with the volume up and down button on my Droid X and viola! there it was. Is it perfect? Not yet, but the developers seem quite happy to listen. If only the people at Kindle and Nook were half as willing to listen. Right now, when I buy books from their sites, I still have to remove the DRM, convert them with Calibre and then I can read them with Moon+ Reader with the features I most want.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #111
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
I just recently came across Moon+ Reader on my Android. It was crying for an update and since I have four others I was on the verge of deleting it when I decided to boot it. In a few ways I found it to be like Wattpad (read+online indexer) but so far have downloaded the worlks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and have read quite a few chapters. I like it so for. The coolest thing had been the page-turning graphics that my wife said was more like a real book. Don't know about that but is an able-bodied reader..

Last edited by jeffcobb; 11-19-2010 at 02:43 PM.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #112
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
...they are incredibly responsive to emails and suggestions....the developers seem quite happy to listen. If only the people at Kindle and Nook were half as willing to listen.
Agreed. I found them quite responsive as well.

What I don't like is the difficulty of mixing RGB. I'm not a painter, so I have no idea how to mix what to get the color I want. I'm still struggling.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #113
Cuteepatootee
Cuteepatootee is on a distinguished road

Device: Blackberry Curve/Dell Axim x5
Exclamation Desperation for auto scroll like Mobipocket

OK I have my new android phone less than 24 hrs and I am becoming desperate. I MUST have an ebook program that auto scrolls like Mobipocket. It scrolls line by line and not page by page. I am at this point not even CARING what format, I will change my 1000's of books to what ever program will scroll this way! HELP! If I can't find one I will be selling this for a Windows phone. It is my number ONE priority!
Thanks
Alyce
Cuteepatootee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #114
Cuteepatootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcalvin View Post
I just got a Motorola Backflip Android phone and am in love with iReader.
It reads secure eReader (.pdb) and Mobipocket secure (.prc). The Mobipocket is a hack - you put in the PIN as opposed to using the actual Mobipocket reader software which is device dependent.

And it autoscrolls - not only that it actually will autoscroll fast enough that I can use it, and that's the first time I've EVER found software that will do that. (Backflip AT&T is crippled Android - must use Marketplace apps unless you go through some slightly more complicated steps - i.e. download the developer stuff.)

Fonts and colors are very customizable.
Does it autoscroll line by line or page by page? I can't figure out to line by line it in smooth scrolling just page by page which I don't like. If it does how did you set it?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #115
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I hate autoscroll...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #116
Cuteepatootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcalvin View Post
I paid the $1.99 after about 10 minutes. In the pay version, when you are in a book, go to the menu, choose settings and you can turn on and off autoscroll and control various elements.
What reader are you talking about??
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #117
Cuteepatootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
Eureka! I've been whining loudly about not being able to find a Droid epub ereader app that supports autoscroll. Today I discovered that the eReader.com ereader app does support epub books as well as pdb ebooks. You will have to remove the DRM first and there are tools for doing that found elsewhere on this forum (just do a search). It's a bit complicated, but once you set it all up, it's easy. I'm not a programmer and I was able to do it. You may have to purchase a book from eReader.com to unlock the app, I don't know because I already own about 400 books I purchased from them before Barnes and Noble bought them and moved all the good titles to their website. But the app is free. Then you can use Calibre ebook converter to add metadata (book info) if you want, or just install the DRM free version as is. The chapters will show up in your eReader directory as separate files, but they are linked when you open the book. Color me happy at last!
I just looked on the ereader site and see no offer of auto scroll. How did you do this?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #118
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
moon plus has autoscroll support you can also change between different kind of autoscroll
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #119
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Manga readers are mentioned as well in the OP, so I'd like to throw in MangaWhat, a reader which allows the user to browse and read manga from 4 online repositories: MangaFox, MangaStream, BleachExile and MangaReader. The functioning is flawless (no crashes up to this moment), the interface is unobstrusive and the content lodged is huge and well-organized. Thus, I find it absolutely fantastic.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #120
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
Hi.
Is there any android app with offline dictionary lookup? like in the Kindle 3?

i searched like crazy in the past couple of days but no luck. i know ebook is currently concentrated in English-spoken country markets, so probably no priority for a dictionary-lookup thing.. but one can hope!

fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one