Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #46
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Have a look at the font display. This is a conversion of Adobe's Brioso Pro and includes the italic and bold versions of the font. It's really spectacular. I tried converting 5 or 6 fonts to iSilo to get a good serif font and wound up having to go with Times New Roman because most lost comfortable legibility (at least at the sizes I was using). Not that there's anything wrong with Times, mind you! But it's so mundane... Being a reader geek I prefer a refined typeface. (Do you ever pick up a new book, flip it open, see the typeface and get that much more excited about reading it? There are a handful of fonts that do that to me.) I haven't seen a bad conversion yet into the Plucker format and I've done a few of the Adobe fonts for experimentation (though to be fair I had to play with the sizing a bit).

Obviously there's more to plucker than the typeface, but I find that it is really comparable to iSilo in all other avenues. There's still a few pros and cons. Perhaps I'll need to write a review shortly. To me, the font makes a big difference, so it weighs more than it might for others...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #47
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
That looks very nice! I don't use my Clie much any more, and looking at shots like that makes me nostalgiv for the clear, crisp display of the T615C. Cleartype on my ipaq 1930 is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to the display above, IMHO.

It does have other plusses however...like a 200MHz processor (very nice when viewing Repligo documents) and I can run my old NES, SNES and DOS games on it <EG>

Craig.

PS - Back on topic, there is a Plucker compatible viewer for the PPC called Vade Mecum, but it's been sitting on v0.3a for quite a long time now... <sigh>

Hmm, Maybe I _should_ wipe the dust-bunnies off my Clie and try the new Plucker out!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:43 PM   #48
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I just went to the Plucker home page and learned that the dictionary lookup works with Road Lingua, which I do not own. With the iSilo copy and paste I can look up words in any of the four dictionary programs that I do own. So while it requires one more click, the iSilo lookup method is more versatile and powerful. Philippe Radley
The current 1.8 Plucker supports a bunch of dictionaries, including a custom setting for new dictionaries, and also supports tap-on-word-to-copy-to-clipboard if memory serves me.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote