Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Another Kobo 30% coupon

I found this in my e-mail:
Quote:
Get 30% OFF
all eBooks
3 days only. Start Shopping »
Offer exp: Dec 9th, 2010
Discount code: dec6ww35
Unlimited Use Coupon
Act now! This offer ends
Dec. 9th, 11:59pm EST
Clearly Kobo wants me to blow my book budget this month . Which wouldn't have been a problem, if it wasn't the thing called Christmas at the end of the month.

Note: For the US it is probably only available for non-Agency books.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the coupon. I used it to buy the second book in the Second Sons Trilogy by Jennifer Fallon.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thank you!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There is an alternative version -- dec6ca35 -- which behaves the same way.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I checked this out and most of the books, after you apply the discount, cost the same as they do on the Sony site.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is one publisher from whom I would never buy a book if they DIDN'T have a sale!

Seriously, it appears that their ebooks are overpriced to begin with; applying the coupon evens out the competition and allows them to compete.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-09-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Only reason I've bought books from Kobo is, when you buy and download one of their books, it is automatically available on your smart phone. But, Sony says they will have that same option this month although it's already 9 Dec and it is not yet available.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
There are the occasional good deals. Twain's autobiography was 20 cents cheaper than the Kindle store, so with their various coupons was anywhere from under $5 to $7.50 (I got it for $6.85). A number of other books are often the same price as the Kindle store (non-Agency titles), which made a large number of them free during the $3 coupon sale and generally cheaper with coupons.

For those who remove DRM, it's a straight ADE flavor. On the downside, it is on every purchase, even if the book is DRM-free in all other stores. A few books are also WEB read only, which is not clearly disclosed on the product pages (but you can see it if you run a search that returns the book, on the search results page).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have been extremely happy with Kobo--most non-Agency books I've looked at have been approximately the same price as BN and less than Sony, and with the 30 percent discount are significantly cheaper at Kobo. Example: I used the coupon last night to buy The Wrong Man by James Neff (about the Sam Sheppard murder case). It was $9.99 at BN, $12.55 at Sony, and $9.29 at Kobo--and with the coupon, came to only $6.50 at Kobo.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
yeah - it depends on the book. I just bought an old backlist MMP paperback equivalent title. Retail price at Kobo was $6.29 - coupon takes it down to $4.40

Amazon 6.39
Barnes $6.39
Sony $7.59
Google - Doesn't have it

So even before the code Kobobooks was the lowest and after the code they are significantly lower.

Actually I hardly ever find Sony to be the lowest price. I'm a US customer - maybe Canadian works out differently.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I checked this out and most of the books, after you apply the discount, cost the same as they do on the Sony site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is one publisher from whom I would never buy a book if they DIDN'T have a sale!

Seriously, it appears that their ebooks are overpriced to begin with; applying the coupon evens out the competition and allows them to compete.
Don
That doesn't surprise me. With every promo like this, the chance of my buying from them goes down a notch. Obviously, if they can afford to give away coupons all the time, it means they have already compensated for it in their official list price. Which means, if I buy a book from them without a promo code, I'm being ripped off. And I have better things to do with my time than chasing after coupons.

But obviously, this is a personal taste issue
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
That doesn't surprise me. With every promo like this, the chance of my buying from them goes down a notch. Obviously, if they can afford to give away coupons all the time, it means they have already compensated for it in their official list price. Which means, if I buy a book from them without a promo code, I'm being ripped off. And I have better things to do with my time than chasing after coupons.

But obviously, this is a personal taste issue
No, it's not a matter of personal taste--that's subjective; I'm objectively comparing prices and finding that Kobo's are the best, at least for the books I have been buying, often even before the discount.

And how hard is it to enter promo code, anyway?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No, it's not a matter of personal taste--that's subjective; I'm objectively comparing prices and finding that Kobo's are the best, at least for the books I have been buying, often even before the discount.

And how hard is it to enter promo code, anyway?
Well, let's call it a matter of priority then. I'm sure you can find actual deals this way, but I'm not willing to spend time finding out what the latest coupon is, or wonder whether I should have bought last week or waited for a better deal.

But I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned this here, I don't want to ruin your pleasure just because it's not my cup of tea
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think our experiences probably aren't the same Florence because we are shopping from different geographical areas. For what I buy - I find Kobobooks is always right there at or near Amazon's low prices and the coupon makes them a clear winner.

Others who read different genres or newer releases from different geographical areas will probably have a different experience.

I just don't want anybody to think that Kobo is automatically a lead with a high price and then discount retailer because that isn't my experience.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Oh, sorry, I wasn't at all paying attention to geographical location. I'm also in the U.S., so maybe that is indeed the big factor in why we're seeing such differences.

Other than one book, which I found discounted to only $4 at BN but for $7 at Kobo, I've found the Kobo prices pretty much within a dollar either way--before applying any discount. So for me Kobo is a good deal, and they've quickly become my favorite source for most books.