Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Update on Google eBook Sales Plan Update

Not really much new information here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

except to promise ebook sales through a wide variety of devices - no specifics on DRM, formats, pricing, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...his-summer.ars
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I won't feel comfortable paying for a book that I can only read online unless it's at a significantly discounted rate. If Google Editions winds up being the Lala of ebooks, that would be fine (I mean, without being bought out and shut down). At least with Lala you could pay $.10 to listen to a song an unlimited number of times online or you could pay the standard $.99 to download the MP3. Unfortunately, I'm guessing prices aren't going to be cheaper with Google Editions and there will be no option to download as an ePub or Mobi file. It'll be interesting if Google finds a way to make this work with eink devices. It might be easier with devices like the nook for which custom apps can be developed (and since Google owns the platform, that should be pretty easy for them). Things will probably be different with the Kindle. Amazon doesn't like the idea of this kind of competition. After all, they're primarily an e-book store. I think it'll probably be worth it as soon as someone figures out how to rip Google Books from the web into e-book files. Then I might start investing Google Editions.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
I agree that if Google Editions offers online-only books - it's impact will be greatly reduced.
In a nutshell, I reckon:

Anything that encourages the ePub format, and brings it a step closer to being the accepted standard (hello, Amazon!?) is a good thing. GE will do that.

Another player in the market – especially one with the clout of the G-men – must encourage price competition.

Inter-device sharing is a VERY good thing. The less locked, DRM-laden devices and platforms the faster the takeup of ebooks in general – a very good thing. It also encourages more competiton, in hardware ebook software and the ebooks themselves.

If Google stand by their “open” stance on books, I wouldn’t expect DRM on these books, but they may be web-only. I think that would greatly diminish the power of the store. Although web-only books make sense for Google, since Chrome is very web-centric, and there are rumours of a Google tablet, which is a guaranteed Chrome device.

Don’t rule out those wily engineers from Mountain View coming up with some other way to allow reasonable cross-device sharing, but discourage rampant distribution of books. Some sort of built-in time-limit timebomb (like libraries use). I don’t know.I

I don’t know how long Amazon can swim against the ePub tide. If you own a Kindle, I’d say firmware update 2.8 or 3.0 might include ePub support.

[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Article from the BBC

Google is set to launch its own online e-book store in 2010.

Google Editions books will not be tied to a specific device, unlike rival e-book company Amazon.

"It is a different approach to what most readers today have and the vision is to be able to access books in a device agnostic way," said Google spokesperson Gabriel Sticker.

To date Google has scanned over 12 million books, both in-print and out-of-print, giving it a greater selection of material than either Apple or Amazon.

With books accessed through Google Editions readable on any web enabled device from a mobile phone to a netbook and from a tablet to a desktop, the implications are clear for e-book stores tied to a single device.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Article from the BBC

With books accessed through Google Editions readable on any web enabled device from a mobile phone to a netbook and from a tablet to a desktop, the implications are clear for e-book stores tied to a single device.
This may not be good for specific eReaders (not for me and my Sony) but, for
any of the web enabled eReaders, access to Google Editions will be nice. If you're not actually downloading the book though this can't be good for the battery life.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm interested depending on pricing. I rarely every re-read a book--and have yet to re-read an e-book (will buy the hardcover for something like Lord of the Rings that I do re-read periodically).

So if it's cheaper, I'd be for it. Though I do worry about battery life a tad--but then again the iPad gets 10 hours with wifi on, and apparently 9 for the 3G version with 3G connected, and those battery lives are fine with me as I've never read close to that much in one day in my life. And I don't mind plugging in a device every night or two to recharge.

Only downside is reading on a plane etc. So I'd prefer more of a rental system with temporary downloads for a monthly fee etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote