Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Do you keep orignal book in Calibre after conversion?

Well, as usual, I deleted all the pdfs and epubs, and then asked the question. I usually import the book into Calibre, and then convert to mobi for my kindle. Well, I am in an organizing freenzy, and I went through and deleted all the txt, epub and pdf. I keep all my books in Calibre so I am not limited to a particular format. I assume I can just convert to whatever format is next.

Do you keep multiple formats in Calibre?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I keep each and every format I come across, even if I can't read it (some lit and pdb files for example). Ok I'm a hoarder. But the reasoning behind my hoarding is this: I don't know what formats I will need in the future, they may be different from the ones I use now - and I'm never sure if something is lost "in translation", I mean in conversion, so having all my options open feels safer. I also have multiple copies in and outside calibre, in external hard drives and usb sticks and whatnot
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I prefer to keep the original Native format (could be kept outside Calibre.
I came from the old Analog audio days, where every copy layer (there is a reason, they call them Master copies) results in some loss.
IMHO The same is true with conversions. You end up doing a conversion of a conversion. Each format has it's benefits and drawbacks.

So I try and make all conversions fro the master copy.
YMMV
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I don't keep all the copies in Calibre, but I do keep the originals in my archive. Back in my Palm days, I used to buy Lit files, extract the html, and then convert that to iSilo. Fast forward a few years and we have a format that's dying (iSilo) and a reader where formatting is important like it wasn't on the Palm. Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat. It's nice not to have to worry about messing something up in the conversion and it's easier to try again from the original if something goes wrong. Besides, what happens if you get a new reader that doesn't read mobi files and don't like the reconversion you get from Calibre?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Just keep it all ... it won't take up too much space and who knows if you'll need it. In Calibre the book shows up only once - so why do you care?

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I keep originals externally to Calibre in a sep. folder....actually folders, based on place of purchase. So all my mobi/prc files from Fictionwise are in one folder and all my azw files from Amazon are in a different folder.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Once I convert to epub I delete the originals. Once I know the ebook converted properly. I only keep the originals when they don't convert properly.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I keep them... no reason not to. I especially keep the original format in the event that I may need them for something else. I may not use a Kindle forever and I may need to convert to another format.
Not only that, I dont buy all my book from Amazon
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'll usually use ePub and PDF as my 'master' copies and keep those.

PDF really doesn't have any good way to convert away from it into a reflowable format, so it is a really good idea to keep it around. Who knows when you will get a shiny Kindle DX or other large-screen PDF reader that can display those things beautifully.

ePub I usually convert to and keep the ePub as the master at that point. Reason being is that I am a bit more technically inclined, so if I find an error, I find it usually quick and easy to fix the ePub and move on. I don't need weird special tools beyond a command-line window and a text editor for the bulk of the changes, which is the main reason I use ePub as the master as well.

Beyond that, I'll keep conversions from these formats I've used on a specific device (although now I pretty much only have been using devices that support ePub/PDF natively, so I haven't had to convert to MOBI in awhile).

Of course, this ignores my comics which I'll use the CBZ/CBR as the master, but that's another topic.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Yeap, for the same reason I keep my raw files after converting them to jpeg.
Why? Because tomorrow something totally new and a lot better might show up and, if I only have the epub or lrf I might not be able to take advantage of the newest technology.

Don't get me wrong: calibre is a wonderful piece of software, but at the pace the technology is moving, you never know what tomorrow could bring. It does not need to be another software; as we all know, Kovid does a great job and updates come very often. I prefer to have the original file - be it rtf, pdf, lit, or whatever. Then I know that if I ever need it again, it's there!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Keep the originals

I will second other opinions here and say keep the originals.

Most computers now have DVD drives which will hold 4.7 GIG at a cost of about 25 cents/disc (US).

If you want to move the originals off the hard drive to reduce clog and confusion, burn them to a CD or DVD. You can never be sure than anything you got on line will be there again when you need it.

Also, you can also not be sure you have gotten every single error in a conversion, or that your taste will not change in the great blank line between paragraphs or indented paragraphs controversy!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Just keep it all ... it won't take up too much space and who knows if you'll need it. In Calibre the book shows up only once - so why do you care?

I'm with you. I keep the original version no matter what format it was in. I tend to buy books for my wife's Kindle and then liberate them for archival using calibre and mobitools. They are just so tiny and Calibre makes them easy to stay organized.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't use Calibre as library software, but I do keep my originals after converting them. I even keep a seperate copy of the DRM-freed books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well since I'm obsessive and storage is cheap the answer is YES. And not only that I keep all original downloaded books in a directory called ebooks (original idea, right ) and back both up to three different places/devices.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Another vote for KEEP EVERYTHING. I keep the original DRM file, the stripped copy in Calibre, and whatever additional formats I convert it to in Calibre. That way I can revisit the conversion if I discover something new. Recently I reconverted all my LIT and PDB files to ePub to add in some stylesheet tweaks to make them look nice on the Sony PRS-600.

Oh, and my Calibre library is on DropBox for offsite backup (in addition to the normal Time Machine and manual copies)
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote