Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Shifting prices

It is incredible... Fever Dream by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child has changed price twice since I have pre-ordered it.
I got it while it was at $13.11. More than what I wanted to pay but I want to read it as soon as I can (on the kindle) since I love the Pendegrast series. I looked today and it is $14.84! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0

I have seen books drop their prices as it gets closer to the release date but this one seems to be doing the opposite. Ugh!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Isn't Preston the author who called readers of ebooks "stupid" or something to that effect?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont really know... I do know that I have read all his books along with Lincoln Child
Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard

Though they did post up a letter to readers who are complaining about the delayed release of ebooks...
Quote:
An open letter to our readers:

We have watched, with interest and no small amount of alarm, the recent struggles between publishers and eBook retailers. We thought it might help if we explained our position. We, as writers, have no real say in the matter, and no real influence on either side of the issue. We, like you, are caught in the middle. What we want is simple. We want to write the best books we can for you to enjoy; for our publishers to make available to you in the format in which you prefer to read them; and at a fair price that enables us to write future novels while keeping the publishers and the Amazons, Apples, Barnes & Nobles and WalMarts of this world in business. From our perspective, the most important element in all this is you, the reader. Without you, the Preston-Child books would not exist, and it is to you that we owe our first and greatest allegiance--on this issue and, in fact, all related issues.

Preston & Child
www.prestonchild.com
Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
maybe Bezos bought a boat...had to jack up prices a smidge
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I think the writers probably need to start figuring out that they *should* have a say and influence in how their work is presented to the customer. They do after all have an interest in selling as many copies as possible.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
As publishers begin to enter the "agency model" of pricing - they apparently are testing the pricing waters to see what consumers will tolerate -- esp. for long-standing popular series with an established reader base. I monitor my pre-orders and cancel/re-order if necessary to continue locking in the lowest price possible. A pain in the *** but I don't want to give those bloodsucking publishers any more of my $$$ than I have to.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

i emailed CS to ask them about the changes in price during a pre-order to make sure I was going to get the lowest price and here is what I got:
Quote:
Hello,

Whenever you pre-order a Kindle book, the price we charge when it is delivered to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund) within 24 hours.

When possible, we'll list Kindle books for pre-order so you get them delivered wirelessly when released. You'll see "pre-order" in the title and an estimated release date on the detail page. Click the "Pre-order" button to make your order.

Further, I've checked your account for the pre-order Kindle book "Impact" by Douglas Preston and found that we haven't charged you for this book and we'll charge you at the time of release of the book and it been delivered.

Rest assured you will be charged with lowest price offered by Amazon.com at the time of release. In case if you are charged $12.63 for this book, please write back to us so that we can issue a refund for the price difference.

You can reach us by clicking the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ndle-help.html

I hope this information helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle!

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=fbxccvuh3404997138

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=fbxccvuh3404997138

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

M.S.Rahman
Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com/your-account
Though from reading it, it only says that you will get the lowest of the prices... the one you pre-ordered and the final.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
i emailed CS to ask them about the changes in price during a pre-order to make sure I was going to get the lowest price and here is what I got:

Though from reading it, it only says that you will get the lowest of the prices... the one you pre-ordered and the final.
That's what happened with "Under the Dome". I pre-ordered it @ $9.00. Whent the pre-order price dropped to $7.99, I canceled and re-ordered. Without me doing anything further, my final price was $7.20 because there was another price drop I missed. So, you will get the lowest price offered on a pre-order without any additional input on your part.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's what happened with "Under the Dome". I pre-ordered it @ $9.00. Whent the pre-order price dropped to $7.99, I canceled and re-ordered. Without me doing anything further, my final price was $7.20 because there was another price drop I missed. So, you will get the lowest price offered on a pre-order without any additional input on your part.
Yes, but only if the lower price is the price at release date...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yes, but only if the lower price is the price at release date...
There would be no incentive to pre-order a delayed release ebook if you are going to pay the lowest price offered. Please, post your final results so we can see how it all shakes out.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Without me doing anything further, my final price was $7.20 because there was another price drop I missed. So, you will get the lowest price offered on a pre-order without any additional input on your part.
Yes, that's automatic at Amazon for any pre-order.

Quote:
Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
There would be no incentive to pre-order a delayed release ebook if you are going to pay the lowest price offered. Please, post your final results so we can see how it all shakes out.
I did the cancel and reorder for Impact by Douglas Preston and I am going to leave Fever Dream as it is to see how things go. I am pretty sure that I will get Fever Dream at the lower of the two current prices. I can only hope of more price decreases though
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, that's automatic at Amazon for any pre-order.

BOb
I talked to them and here is how the guy from Kindle support explained it since there was no change in the pre-order price in my order page.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76347
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I did the cancel and reorder for Impact by Douglas Preston and I am going to leave Fever Dream as it is to see how things go. I am pretty sure that I will get Fever Dream at the lower of the two current prices. I can only hope of more price decreases though
They will, if you give it a few weeks.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote