Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
"clock" issues with borrowed library books? and ADE ??

I just signed on to the forum (after lurking for a few months, gathering all sorts of info; how to make collections, how to use adobe digital editions, etc-- thanks!).

I have a question I can't seem to find any information about. Thanks to this forum, I discovered a whole library of ebooks waiting for me at my public library! I spent all of Christmas day learning about it (including how to get a pdf onto my reader). The first set of books I downloaded (via ADE) showed the little "clock" on my reader, showing me how many days I had left to borrow the book.

The second and subsequent sets did not. After searching high and wide to no avail, trying to redownload the books, trying to do things in a different order, pulling my hair out in frustration, I (being a bit of a technophobe) sent my technologically gifted dh on a mission to solve my issue.

Well, solve it, he did, eventually.... but somehow erasing half of my library on my reader and making the sony ebook store unable to open. But, by golly, my downloaded books now had a clock! He doesn't know what he did, btw. After nearly having a panic attack at my collection going from 56 to 21, I was thrilled to discover that my books were still mine and available for download (again) at the sony store. That was a big relief. However, now we have our sony software on a different computer. He still can't get it to open on the original computer. I think he upgraded something...? But I digress... *sigh*

In any case, here are my two questions--
1) any idea *why* my clock wasn't showing up on my reader? It was on the books on the ADE window, but didn't transfer to my reader.

2) *how* can you safely eject your reader from ADE software? When I had both sony and ade on the same computer, I would download library books via ade, then close it and open up sony and organize the books into my collections and use the little "eject" button. Now that only ade is on that computer, I have to go and "safely remove hardware" (from every external drive... even dh doesn't know which drive that one is), but it still tells me "do not disconnect" on the reader. But I do it anyway *gasp* because I refuse to live my life connected to a computer... and the reader seems fine, but I feel funky everytime I disobey the reader. Any idea?

(Since I can't seem to make this post short anyway, thought I'd just add in here how my first thought upon receiving this reader for a gift was "oh... but I don't *buy* a lot of books... I check them all OUT!" and how much of a "gift" it was to discover that libraries LET you check them out for readers! hurray!!!)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
1) No idea why the clock, or days remaining, was not showing on your reader. I've downloaded roughly 10 books over the last 3 months and have never had that problem. I'm assuming that any book downloaded from the library gets opened in ADE then subsequently transferred to your reader through the ADE software.

2) The ADE software does not have an eject button. After I transfer the newly checked-out library book, I close ADE then 'safely remove hardware' using the icon in the Windows System Tray. I don't think Windows will let you remove hardware if another program (ADE or Sony software) is recognizing that the reader is attached.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
1) No idea why the clock, or days remaining, was not showing on your reader. I've downloaded roughly 10 books over the last 3 months and have never had that problem. I'm assuming that any book downloaded from the library gets opened in ADE then subsequently transferred to your reader through the ADE software.

2) The ADE software does not have an eject button. After I transfer the newly checked-out library book, I close ADE then 'safely remove hardware' using the icon in the Windows System Tray. I don't think Windows will let you remove hardware if another program (ADE or Sony software) is recognizing that the reader is attached.
Thanks for the response-- I do transfer directly from ADE, and I haven't had a problem lately, hopefully it was just a glitch?

Does your reader still tell you "do not disconnect" after you click safely remove hardware? Mine does, even though nothing else is accessing it (that I know of...?) certainly not sony or ADE.

I appreciate the response!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Thanks for the response-- I do transfer directly from ADE, and I haven't had a problem lately, hopefully it was just a glitch?

Does your reader still tell you "do not disconnect" after you click safely remove hardware? Mine does, even though nothing else is accessing it (that I know of...?) certainly not sony or ADE.

I appreciate the response!
You don't have to safely remove hardware. You just close your ebooklibrary, and you'll be able to yank that puppy out.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Here is an "oh by the way" comment for ADE books borrowed from your library. If you finish them before they expire, you can "return" them and they will immediately come off your account freeing up room to download additional selections. Click on the little triangle next to the book name, choose options and return borrowed book.

Unfortunately, this feature is not available for mobipocket format ebooks.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Here is an "oh by the way" comment for ADE books borrowed from your library. If you finish them before they expire, you can "return" them and they will immediately come off your account freeing up room to download additional selections.
cheers
Thanks-- I had figured that one out right away-- it is one of the things I love about borrowing the ADE books! And it's how I've checked out, read, and returned about 12 books in the past 2 weeks.