Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's been said time and time again here that it's not a good idea to add lots of books at a time. It really is sensible to listen to what people have learnt previously and benefit from our mistakes .

You're right, Harry. I found that information all OVER the place for everything back to the K2s... once I realized I had a problem.

On the bright side, I'm down to five books reported, with a list of three. Of course, two of them are 600+ page books, so it might take a while. Another funny thing, I didn't really notice any severe battery drain, and I was doing a lot more than Amazon's recommended reading. (shrugs)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I think Amazon doesn't expect people to carry around hundreds or thousands of books. They're not mp3's...
I wonder if that's why the "drive" space was cut in half...

Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I scratch my head with my right arm.

Let me cut your right arm off and it won't bother you any more.
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I think Amazon doesn't expect people to carry around hundreds or thousands of books. They're not mp3's....
I'm not sure that that is the case, but I am reasonably certain that they did not intend for anyone to load 50+ books at one time. If this were a thing they'd want you to do, they'd probably let you batch download books instead of just letting you download one at a time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I think Amazon doesn't expect people to carry around hundreds or thousands of books.
But why should they care if people want to do exactly that? I don't really want to keep shifting books between Calibre and the Kindle, but the way they're going with the ever shrinking memory, I will have to sooner or later, which is something I am not particularly happy about.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
But why should they care if people want to do exactly that? I don't really want to keep shifting books between Calibre and the Kindle, but the way they're going with the ever shrinking memory, I will have to sooner or later, which is something I am not particularly happy about.
Exactly, why should they care. I'll tell you. They get more control when you have less local storage available, and think it's "convenient" to be able to download books from Amazon directly.

Amazon is, like everyone else, pushing their cloud-"services".

CLOUD, CLOUD, CLOUD! It's everywhere, and it's hip. Blergh. What's a cloud? It's just webspace, that can be synced by multiple devices simultaneously. It has been here for over 10 years in one way or another, and big companies have been using it even longer, running their own systems. Back then, it was just called "remote storage".

The only difference is that it's now being integrated into every device such as the Kindle (previously, only laptops and some smartphones had this / could have this), and companies are hollering that you don't need any local storage anymore and you can "just" put all of your files into *their* storage.

Company: "So they will be available everywhere, and you don't need to worry about backups, and it is very conventient that way. And it's free too. Nice, huh?"

In my honest opinion, it just screams "Give us more control over your files!"

I won't be storing ANYTHING into ANY cloud whatsoever. I download books to my computer, deDRM them, and archive them myself. If I can't have my own file, I don't want it. If I want a "cloud", I'll buy my own network storage drive, such as a Synology. They have FTP, HTTP, and even a cloud system built right in. Then I'll have -my own- cloud. Just as convenient, with no big company somewhere in between.

As I said in other topics:

One day we will see a Kindle with just enough storage for one page at a time.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
...One day we will see a Kindle with just enough storage for one page at a time.
Ya know, I was right behind you cheering until that last sentence... Who me? I never saw him before.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Just wait. If Amazon at some point they can get away with it, they'll introduce a "one book at a time" or even "one page at a time" device, completely cloud dependent.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I'm not sure that that is the case, but I am reasonably certain that they did not intend for anyone to load 50+ books at one time. If this were a thing they'd want you to do, they'd probably let you batch download books instead of just letting you download one at a time.
Actually they make it quite easy to do that. When I handed my Kindle 4 on (my mother's was stolen) it was quite easy to tell the Paperwhite to just suck in everything on the original. 190+ books.

Yes, it indexed like mad for about half a day after that, but it did finish.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Just wait. If Amazon at some point they can get away with it, they'll introduce a "one book at a time" or even "one page at a time" device, completely cloud dependent.
Only if they want to ruin one market, people taking their Kindles on holiday and to places outside 3G coverage. (And if they also want to make sure nobody ever buys a Wifi Kindle ever again.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Actually they make it quite easy to do that. When I handed my Kindle 4 on (my mother's was stolen) it was quite easy to tell the Paperwhite to just suck in everything on the original. 190+ books.
What procedure did you use to download all of those titles from Amazon at once?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
What procedure did you use to download all of those titles from Amazon at once?
Just synch the new device. It will take some time, if you have a number of books.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Just synch the new device. It will take some time, if you have a number of books.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You need to either use the archive on the device to download the books one at a time, or use Manage Your Kindle on an Amazon account to send books one at a time.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You need to either use the archive on the device to download the books one at a time, or use Manage Your Kindle on an Amazon account to send books one at a time.
That's been my experience.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
This is probably widely known, but when I do a search to find whether something is indexing, I notice that when it shows you the results of how many books are still indexing and when you click on those results, it then shows you a list of the actual books waiting to be indexed, with the one currently being indexed as grey. I have once had a book stuck on indexing, which I noticed as it had remained grey for a very long time, so I deleted it, then the indexing went on fine and completed. You can keep the list of books being indexed open and see a book go grey, then it disappears off the list and another book on the list goes grey in its place. This continues till it finishes and there are no books on the list. This is, though, with a Kindle 3.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's been my experience.
A year ago I bought a new Kindle, and all I had to do was register it, and the books started downloading right after. If some of them do not download, you may "push" them from the Amazon site, but, afaik it works that way.
It is the same when you have a new PC and install a Kindle client; if you register it, your ebook start downloading. If I remember there is a limit in the number of parallel devices where your ebooks are allowed, it must be 5 or 7.

EDIT : Oh boy, just finished reindexing everything. It took almost 5 days. Hopefully never again. But I did not learn anything good, should it happen next time, I am afraid it will take the same time.

Last edited by brudigia; 02-15-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Finished indexing.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing kindle