Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
dorkmania
dorkmania began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle indexing help please

My kindle is only a few months old and I've only recently noticed the battery running low only a few days after I'd fully recharged it. I did a bit of researching and realised it was because it was indexing the large number of books I put on.

After leaving it on all night and letting every index I turned it off. Then when I turned it back on it began to reindex EVERYTHING again! I was thinking of leaving it in sleep mode when I don't use it to prevent that from happening...

Apparently once everything is indexed it's not suppose to do it again so I am wondering if my files are corrupt and how to tell? I've only ever bought two books from Amazon, the others that I bought were in epub format and converted through calibre.
dorkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Your Kindle is probably stuck trying to index a corrupt or problem book rather than re-indexing all of them.... to check, do a search on a non-sense word like 'ptlrk'. If it still has items that have not been indexed, you will need to start deleting books you've loaded until you find the bad one. (If you reconvert it via Calibre there is a good chance it will index properly). This is not unusual and is a pain. It's generally best to side-load books in small batches rather than one big one so you have an easier time troubleshooting the problem book.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkmania View Post
My kindle is only a few months old and I've only recently noticed the battery running low only a few days after I'd fully recharged it. I did a bit of researching and realised it was because it was indexing the large number of books I put on.

After leaving it on all night and letting every index I turned it off. Then when I turned it back on it began to reindex EVERYTHING again! I was thinking of leaving it in sleep mode when I don't use it to prevent that from happening...

Apparently once everything is indexed it's not suppose to do it again so I am wondering if my files are corrupt and how to tell? I've only ever bought two books from Amazon, the others that I bought were in epub format and converted through calibre.
if it's hanging on a corrupt file then searching for a non-existent string (like zxxcxxvxx) should find that file, then you can delete just that file.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My random letter search brought up 47 titles!

I've written them all down and will remove them, reconvert them and send them back in batches of 10.

Wish me luck.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

I've written them all down and will remove them, reconvert them and send them back in batches of 10.

Wish me luck.
47!!! good luck!!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Wish me luck.
@Nyssa... I don't think that means all 47 are bad, your Kindle is just stuck on one. Finding the one is the trick.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, both. It appears that luck may be on my side, as it is still trying to index titles and 3 have "disappeared" off of the list. Its was working on The Count of Monte Cristo for a while but that finally went through, where as the other titles went through a little more quickly.

I don't mind waiting and seeing what happens, I'm just curious as to how long the process is going to take. Five have now gone through with 42 left to go.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict

Okay. Its been about an hour and there are now 20 titles...make that 19 titles left on the list.
I use the Kindle Collections plugin all the time which requires a reset every time you want to update the collections.
Any suggestions on how to make indexing go faster next time?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Okay. Its been about an hour and there are now 20 titles...make that 19 titles left on the list.
I use the Kindle Collections plugin all the time which requires a reset every time you want to update the collections.
Any suggestions on how to make indexing go faster next time?
I don't use Kindle Collections, but I'm pretty sure a reset doesn't cause re-indexing. I believe indexing only occurs when you add new files/books. So, unless you are constantly adding and deleting books, it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't add a lot of books at the same time....
Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict

Okay. Thank you, again.

I noticed something: With 6 books left to index, it stopped right in the middle of trying to index The Arabian Nights: Tales From a Thousand and One Nights. Not only that, it did not try to index any of the other 5 books. To makes a little more frustrating is that 5 of the books a HUGE, as they are omnibuses.

So I have removed all six, I am going to reconvert Arabian Nights, and then I will add the 6 books back, but one or two at a time. I will leave Arabian Nights for last.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

It just took d'Artagnan Romances 10 minutes to index!