Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Question Stuck on "Processing Content" and can't transfer books from Calibre??

The first week I had my Kobo Touch (purchased 11/07/12) I loved it. Loaded books through Calibre, no issues whatsoever, read to my heart's content.

Then yesterday I try and load some more books from Calibre, books that I'd previously had no issue loading onto my first generation Kobo. Everything seems to be fine, I eject the ereader in Finder (I have a Mac) and when I unplug it I get a dark screen with "Processing Content - One moment please" and a little twirly circle activity thing. So I wait. And wait. And eventually the twirly activity indicator stops twirling. I wait. Two hours later, no change, it's still "Processing Content".

I try and turn it off with the slider switch, nothing happens.

I resort to a soft reset with a paperclip in the back of the ereader and the "Powering On" screen comes up, it starts like normal and everything seems to be working alright expect the books that I was trying to load are nowhere to be found.

This has happened over and over since then. I've factory reset it thinking something got corrupted with no improvement. I load books with Calibre and without fail it gets stuck on "Processing Content". If I'm patient enough it will usually restart itself (the "Powering on" screen shows up after an hour or so) but the books I tried to load are never there. They seem to transfer fine when the ereader is attached to the computer, I can clearly see the files in Finder on the reader but obviously something's going wrong at some point.

I reloaded Calibre 0.8.7 wondering if it was the latest Calibre update that was the problem, still no luck with the older version. My Kobo did update itself to the newest firmware version between my successful first load of books and my issues now, could that be the problem?

Please, can anyone help me? I'm officially desperate!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I use calibre to side load epubs and I have used it frequently both before and after the upgrade and I have not had the problem you describe so unfortunately I can't give you an answer, other than, I don't think it's related to the firmware upgrade.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I use calibre to side load epubs and I have used it frequently both before and after the upgrade and I have not had the problem you describe so unfortunately I can't give you an answer, other than, I don't think it's related to the firmware upgrade.
What version of Calibre are you using? I also updated to the latest version of Calibre between my two differing experiences, I'm wondering if that might be the cause?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
The first week I had my Kobo Touch (purchased 11/07/12) I loved it. Loaded books through Calibre, no issues whatsoever, read to my heart's content.

Then yesterday I try and load some more books from Calibre, books that I'd previously had no issue loading onto my first generation Kobo. Everything seems to be fine, I eject the ereader in Finder (I have a Mac) and when I unplug it I get a dark screen with "Processing Content - One moment please" and a little twirly circle activity thing. So I wait. And wait. And eventually the twirly activity indicator stops twirling. I wait. Two hours later, no change, it's still "Processing Content".

I try and turn it off with the slider switch, nothing happens.

I resort to a soft reset with a paperclip in the back of the ereader and the "Powering On" screen comes up, it starts like normal and everything seems to be working alright expect the books that I was trying to load are nowhere to be found.

This has happened over and over since then. I've factory reset it thinking something got corrupted with no improvement. I load books with Calibre and without fail it gets stuck on "Processing Content". If I'm patient enough it will usually restart itself (the "Powering on" screen shows up after an hour or so) but the books I tried to load are never there. They seem to transfer fine when the ereader is attached to the computer, I can clearly see the files in Finder on the reader but obviously something's going wrong at some point.

I reloaded Calibre 0.8.7 wondering if it was the latest Calibre update that was the problem, still no luck with the older version. My Kobo did update itself to the newest firmware version between my successful first load of books and my issues now, could that be the problem?

Please, can anyone help me? I'm officially desperate!
I know I have over 3000 books, it takes over 45 mins to process 2000 or so.
How many books are you loading on your Touch?
The location for my books is the sd card.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I know I have over 3000 books, it takes over 45 mins to process 2000 or so.
How many books are you loading on your Touch?
The location for my books is the sd card.

I don't have nearly that many ebooks so I'm just using the internal memory that the Kobo comes with right now. I did think that maybe I was being impatient (I was trying to load around 5-10 at a time initially) so I tried with just one, regular sized epub. It "Processed Content" for 3 hours before I gave up and restarted it.

I didn't have any issues downloading a book I purchased from the Kobo store tonight. I haven't tried from Calibre again for fear of locking my Kobo up and maybe corrupting data (I factory reset it prior to loading the Kobo book). Seems the issue is just between my reader and Calibre (not saying anything against Calibre, it's a fantastic program).
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

So as an experiment I tried to load a couple books to my original Kobo that had failed to load to my Kobo Touch. They loaded fine with processing time around 30 seconds or so. So it's obviously a problem specifically between the Kobo Touch and Calibre. I've now tried two different Kobo Touches, both of which experienced the exact same "Processing Content" freeze and failure of books to load so I'm guessing it probably isn't just an isolated buggy ereader.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What version of Calibre are you using? I also updated to the latest version of Calibre between my two differing experiences, I'm wondering if that might be the cause?
Feisty - I am using 8.10 I have updated to each version whenever I received a notification of an upgrade so I've been through three, four or more upgrades since I bought my KT.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Feisty - I am using 8.10 I have updated to each version whenever I received a notification of an upgrade so I've been through three, four or more upgrades since I bought my KT.
If you mind me asking how do you load books on to the device? With the "send to device" feature in Calibre? Or by dragging and dropping the file from Calibre into the Kobo? And how do you eject the device? Through Calibre or directly from your computer? Those are just two variables I've found looking at other threads where people are having problems like mine, I thought maybe if I copied what you do it might work.

Thanks to everyone who has replied!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Thumbs up (Partial) Success!

So I have now successfully converted/tweaked a book in Calibre, saved it to my computer's disk and loaded it onto my KT by dragging it from where I'd saved it onto the device (yay!). It's a cumbersome process but at least it's a way to get my sideloaded epubs onto my device without freezing it up.

The next step would be a direct from Calibre transfer but I'm leery of getting the never-ending "Processing Content" screen again...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Talking *happy dance*

So I was able to load a book from Calibre onto my KT with no lag at the processing stage! I went back to using Calibre 0.8.5 and ejected my KT from the list of devices in Finder only (rather then with the eject device feature in Calibre). I also gave a little bit of time (around a minute) between loading the book and ejecting and ejecting and actually disconnecting the reader. I'm so happy it's all working again! Thanks to everyone who helped, you guys are great.

Now back to the reading!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

&*!^&$(#$!!!!!

And now, back to the exact same darn issue after I tried to load 5 books from Calibre. Taking forever "Processing Content", going directly from "processing" to "Powering On" and no new books visible on the ereader (though my computer tells me the epub files ARE actually on the reader). I'm sick of this. I loved the KT and now I want to throw it against a wall. I'm afraid Kobo may have just lost a very dedicated customer.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Question It works! For ONE book at a time...

So after yet another factory reset I discovered that I can load books from Calibre as long as I do them ONE at a time. Then it works fine. As soon as I try two at a time (loading the first one, waiting until Calibre says the first is done before loading the second) poof, it "Processes Content" for ages, restarts itself and I can't find the books (they're definitely on the device in some way, but useless to me as I can't find or read them).

I'm not sure what the glitch is loading a couple books a session but it's annoying, now I have to connect the Kobo, wait for Calibre to detect it, load a book, eject and unplug the Kobo and do it all over again for each book.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them. It doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem so I'm stumped. My Kobo works I suppose but I'm going to spend ages loading books which really detracts from the ereading experience...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
I don't have nearly that many ebooks so I'm just using the internal memory that the Kobo comes with right now. I did think that maybe I was being impatient (I was trying to load around 5-10 at a time initially) so I tried with just one, regular sized epub. It "Processed Content" for 3 hours before I gave up and restarted it.

I didn't have any issues downloading a book I purchased from the Kobo store tonight. I haven't tried from Calibre again for fear of locking my Kobo up and maybe corrupting data (I factory reset it prior to loading the Kobo book). Seems the issue is just between my reader and Calibre (not saying anything against Calibre, it's a fantastic program).
Sorry after reading the reast of these posts I cant offer a suggestion, except to run a scan disk on your kobo to check for errors. I dont think it will find anything. I susspect its as you suggest a corruption of Calibre.

Last edited by jackastor; 07-19-2011 at 04:23 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I experienced this issue once. Had to delete metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre from the Kobo. Perhaps I could have deleted only one, but since they both have calibre in the filename I deleted them both at once.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I experienced this issue once. Had to delete metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre from the Kobo. Perhaps I could have deleted only one, but since they both have calibre in the filename I deleted them both at once.
I tried deleting the driver and metadata file which didn't seem to cause any problems but when I plugged my Kobo in again Calibre put them back on automatically. It does this every time I load a book from Calibre after I've deleted them.

Tags
calibre, kobo, problem, touch