Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #1171
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Only very poor dictionary would use the word being defined in the definition.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #1172
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Browse by language

Hi,

One of my wish would be a browsing by language in the library.

With a substantial enhancement:
going directly to the target (not having to pass book after book.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #1173
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
I can see the desire for the language. But I'd prefer to see a filter rather than an extra sort. That way I could show all unread epubs that are in French. And then sort that by title or author or series.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Go directly to a particular page?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #1174
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:

François
François, do you mean being able to search for a particular book? I'm a bit confused.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #1175
ccipri
ccipri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta
Essential:
"Lock Zoom and Offset" - option for pdf files.

I manage to adjust the zoom and a offset, so that not much space on the margins are wasted,
but then I can not switch to the next page just with the normal swipe.
I have to press extra on the margin on the arrow to go to the next page, and the when I'm on the next page, then I have to chage again the Offset, since just the Zoom of the reader is memorized.

Since I'm a c++ developer too, I know this is simple to do, and at the same time it would be a great improvement for reading pdf-files, since most pdf-files have big margins, which are fine on paper, but not on a small device.
ccipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #1176
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hi,

François
yes, that would be nice. However as a workaround you could have language shelves. To go directly to target, as opposed to browsing, can't you just search for the book you want?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #1177
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Sorry guys I was away a few days.

@DavidFor: Oh yes, I'd strongly go for any filters (why can't I hook with some simple sql requests and click on the resulting book to open it?)

@Peakcrew: no, not searching... I would like to browse the list of my books to choose one to read. I want to go directly at "German" instead of browsing hundred pages of french books or falling into the italian ones. With the arrow it is a real pain.

@Paola: You are right, and actually, it is what I do.
But for three homemade books in Sanskrit, I have to make a shelf. The same for one Tibetan book. I consider (lazy bone!) that when I put the language tag inside the correct semantic spot in Sigil, and as long as it is one of the very few mandatory tag in epub 2, I shouldn't have to create a shelve.

As a matter of fact, using my kobo more like a hard drive with folders (of course, I know I shouldn't) my best wish would be to go through the tree of files and folders, and simply click the book.

... my dream

François
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #1178
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:

@Peakcrew: no, not searching... I would like to browse the list of my books to choose one to read. I want to go directly at "German" instead of browsing hundred pages of french books or falling into the italian ones. With the arrow it is a real pain.
Ah, yes! I now see what you mean.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, using my kobo more like a hard drive with folders (of course, I know I shouldn't) my best wish would be to go through the tree of files and folders, and simply click the book.

... my dream
And mine! My old Jetbook used a tree-like management system - I miss it a great deal. The tree system is so well-known to people now, I don't see why Kobo shy away from it in favour of complex "shelves" that, for me (and you, it seems!) don't work as well. It seems to be needlessly hanging on to the physical world in the digital one.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #1179
fxp33
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
And mine! My old Jetbook used a tree-like management system - I miss it a great deal. The tree system is so well-known to people now, I don't see why Kobo shy away from it in favour of complex "shelves" that, for me (and you, it seems!) don't work as well. It seems to be needlessly hanging on to the physical world in the digital one.
Ok, it is true that having a database allowing to search through many semantics values (authors, title, editor, year, language...) is smart and useful. But the search in Kobo is useless on this matter with only title, author to sort books, and no way to go directly to one or the other value.

And as you put it, some of us are used to organizing books in folders.

Of course, the tagging (shelving) system is quite interesting (especially when you find out that your book belongs to three or four categories, and that you can only put it in one folder). But even the category browsing is painful on my Kobo.

I guess I misuse Calibre. Maybe Paola can help us out on this (but I guess this question hasn't got its place here).

Regards

François
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1180
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
You can add my name to the list of those dissatisfied by the ridiculously wide and non-optional headers and footers. Beyond addressing that primary concern, KOBO should also make an attempt at making headers and footers more functional.

In the course of reading a book, the current firmware forever displays the book's title in the header. Far more informative that this repetitive and useless information would be a dynamic header that alternated between the book's title and the current chapter's title (or number). This would more approximate a paper book. To complement the dynamic header information, the footer should display something like "Page X of Y" relative to the entire book when the header shows the book's title or "Page X of Y" relative the current chapter when the header displays the chapter's title. KOBO, please implement this!

I would also like another refinement to the current firmware. There should be a saved log of the words that have been looked up in the dictionary. My old SONY Daily Edition had this useful feature, and I credit it with helping me retain the more quixotic terms used in my readings. C'mon KOBO, step up!
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #1181
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Would be nice to have a quick one-two touch font size +/-, directly on the taskbar, as it's the thing you most often need to adjust for comfortable reading on a new book.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1182
dreugeworst
dreugeworst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Probably this has been requested before, but it's a problem for me too:

Footnotes are impossible to click. Maybe once in 20 tries it actually goes to the footnote, even on larger font sizes. Mostly this is because the footnotes consist of a single number, which is rather hard to hit.

Perhaps it could be made so that if a footnote is within the area that's being pressed, it will go to that footnote? Whichever footnote has the largest share of surface area in the area being touched or something like that.

Failing that, add a list of footnote links to the navigation menu of a page.
dreugeworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #1183
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreugeworst View Post

Footnotes are impossible to click. Maybe once in 20 tries it actually goes to the footnote, even on larger font sizes. Mostly this is because the footnotes consist of a single number, which is rather hard to hit.

Perhaps it could be made so that if a footnote is within the area that's being pressed, it will go to that footnote? Whichever footnote has the largest share of surface area in the area being touched or something like that.

Yes - this is a major failing of ebooks at the moment. It would be good for a solution to be found.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #1184
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreugeworst View Post

I think it just a poor design choice. I find it extremly hard to traverse (tap on) footnotes on sideloaded epubs. I switched to keups a little while ago, and footnotes work very well now.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #1185
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I think it just a poor design choice. I find it extremly hard to traverse (tap on) footnotes on sideloaded epubs. I switched to keups a little while ago, and footnotes work very well now.
Same here, with a nice pop up window appearing to display the footnote
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote