Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What was your favorite Louisa May Alcott girl's book?
Little Women 33 63.46%
Little Men 5 9.62%
Jo's Boys 1 1.92%
Eight Cousins 7 13.46%
Rose in Bloom 0 0%
An Old-Fashioned Girl 4 7.69%
Jack and Jill 0 0%
Under the Lilacs 1 1.92%
Other 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Louisa May Alcott

Which was the book of your heart when you read them as a girl/boy/person of any age? I'm limiting myself to the Orchard House Editions titles that were in print when I read them; if you pick other, please elaborate. And I know that what is included under the title of Little Women in the USA is in two volumes in Britain, Little Women/Good Wives.

In my case, An Old-Fashioned Girl edges out Jack and Jill. Rose in Bloom is third.

Last edited by issybird; 06-14-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: For gender and age neutrality, with apologies
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've only read Little Women, and it was a very old version, at that (no one died in my copy). I read her short story "Lost in a Pyramid or the Mummies Curse" last night. It was predictable but good; very well written.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Well, technically I've only read Little Women, so that's of course my favorite. I'll get to reading the sequels eventually!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I liked Under The Lilacs & then Jo's Boys.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Little Women, but Little Men and Jo's Boys were very close. Of course, I am not now, nor was I then, a girl.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Little Women, but Little Men and Jo's Boys were very close. Of course, I am not now, nor was I then, a girl.
I won't apologize for describing them as girls books, since while I read the Hardy Boys, for example, they were clearly boys books. But I apologize for being exclusionary in my question and will amend.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I recently re-read Little Women, and it's one of those books that reveals itself more and more at each stage of life - it's an excellent girls' book, but it's also an extraordinary novel of American life of the period, with warm, realistic characters.

One of my life-long favorite books.

[Curse Geraldine Brooks. I hope she burns in whatever literary hell is reserved for desecrating someone else's work.]
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Eight Cousins! I forgot all about that book but it was a favorite of mine when I was little. I had not idea it was by Louisa May Alcott although I spent a lot of time reading it over and over. I must go look for an ebook version of it.

I haven't read most of the other books (that I can recall) except for Little Women.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Eight Cousins! I forgot all about that book but it was a favorite of mine when I was little. I had not idea it was by Louisa May Alcott although I spent a lot of time reading it over and over. I must go look for an ebook version of it.

I haven't read most of the other books (that I can recall) except for Little Women.
Its available here at MobileRead - Eight Cousins.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Its available here at MobileRead - Eight Cousins.
Ooh, it is! Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Ooh, it is! Thanks!
You're welcome!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have a certain nostaligia (and an antique copy) for Little Women. When I was a young kid, 8 or 9, my dad had to take me to work with him for a few days for lack of anywhere else for me to stay. While there, one of his co-workers, who had no children, gave me a very old copy of the book that her mother (and grandmother) had passed through her family. It was the first time I'd read Little Women, and though I did not (and still don't) like "girls books," I enjoyed that and often find myself picking it up again around Christmas. When I sold/donated most of my DTB collection, that was one of my only keepers.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I can't pick just one! I've read all those listed, plus some other, plus every biography or memoir of her and her family except the one by Susan Cheever.

The only books I thought were less well done from that list were Under The Lilacs and Jack and Jill. All the rest I thought were top quality Alcott.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I've only read Little Women, and thought it's lovely.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I read Little Men several times as a boy - so that's the one I put first. This was in the early seventies, and it was an old hardcover that we had then so I've no idea what edition.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote