Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
aluisscp
Enthusiast
aluisscp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Should I trade my original H2O for a Clara?

Hi everyone, it’s been a long while since I’ve posted in this forum, mostly because I’ve been working a little more and reading a little less. Anyway, I recently picked up my Kobo H2O, the first one that came out and I’m really bothered by its weight. The wonderful high def screen is what got me to buy this model, because I used to have a Kobo Aura (again, the original one) and that screen was awful, bad definition, greenish background, glares and grid-like scratches under the sunlight.

I know I’d prefer the Clara over my H2O because of the comfort light and size/weight, but I’m afraid that the screen won’t compare (in quality) to my current reader. Anyone who’s looked at both that can give some advice?

Cheers!
aluisscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluisscp View Post
Hi everyone, it’s been a long while since I’ve posted in this forum, mostly because I’ve been working a little more and reading a little less. Anyway, I recently picked up my Kobo H2O, the first one that came out and I’m really bothered by its weight. The wonderful high def screen is what got me to buy this model, because I used to have a Kobo Aura (again, the original one) and that screen was awful, bad definition, greenish background, glares and grid-like scratches under the sunlight.

I know I’d prefer the Clara over my H2 because of the comfort light and size/weight, but I’m afraid that the screen won’t compare (in quality) to my current reader. Anyone who’s looked at both that can give some advice?

Cheers!
i think the screen clarity on the original H2O is one of the clearest screens of all the Kobo ereaders ever made. i use the external micro SD card slot on my original Aura (which unlike you i like very much) if you don't use it then perhaps the Clara HD would be a good choice for you.

your right about the weight the Clara HD will be lighter and as the comfort light. i hope if you do buy the Clara HD that you get one that doesn't have the light bleed issue.

decisions decisions decisions good luck with making the right one for you.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have both. The screen on the Clara HD (300DPI) is better than the original Aura H2O (265DPI). It is noticeable when compared, but I don't really notice it when I am reading. I don't think the difference is as much as the difference between the Glo (same resolution as the original Aura) and Aura H2O.

To me, the physical size difference is more important. I went from Glo to Aura H2O to Glo HD then Aura ONE, back to the Aura H2O (gave the Aura ONE to my wife) then the Glo HD and the Clara HD. I found the Aura H2O to be bulky and actually found the Aura ONE to be a better fit for me.

If weight is the issue, then look at the Forma. That is lighter than the different Aura H2Os and the Aura ONE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a Clara review unit that I would be happy to trade for your H2O.

I would come out ahead on that deal.

In other words, I don't think you should switch.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
aluisscp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
my original Aura (which unlike you i like very much)
I still think the original Aura was the best form factor that Kobo ever released. But I struggled with those issues I mentioned and they were really distracting to the point I traded it for an older Glo.

I will go and look at the Kobo Clara HD in store, maybe even bring my H2O with me to compare both screens. I don't care at all about the extra storage, waterproofing or screen size. Thanks for the input koboy!
Advert
Old 10-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
aluisscp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have both. The screen on the Clara HD (300DPI) is better than the original Aura H2O (265DPI). It is noticeable when compared, but I don't really notice it when I am reading.
Sometimes the specs aren't everything. I appreciate your help on comparing both in real life. Do you find the light bleeding to be an issue?

P.S.: Regarding the forma, it's too big and ugly for me. I much prefer the Oasis 6'' but I feel the Clara with the Comfort light will be a better choice.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
aluisscp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a Clara review unit that I would be happy to trade for your H2O.

I would come out ahead on that deal.

In other words, I don't think you should switch.
for the resale price of the H2O that could be a good deal for me! I'll try to sell it on eBay, though. It's all about personal preference, some people prefer the Kobo mini, others the Aura One.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sometimes the specs aren't everything.
True, but in this case the difference is visible and has been commented on here before.
Quote:
I appreciate your help on comparing both in real life. Do you find the light bleeding to be an issue?
Not really. It is there. If I look at it, it is noticeable. When I'm reading it doesn't interfere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
I still think the original Aura was the best form factor that Kobo ever released. But I struggled with those issues I mentioned and they were really distracting to the point I traded it for an older Glo.

I will go and look at the Kobo Clara HD in store, maybe even bring my H2O with me to compare both screens. I don't care at all about the extra storage, waterproofing or screen size. Thanks for the input koboy!
your welcome i always try in store before i buy an ereader and i always buy it from the store that way any problems it's easy to take it back and exchange it or get a refund. i would never buy online not when i have the option of the store.

it's an excellent idea to take your H2O to the store with you and compare like for like.

for me the Clara HD is a nicely sized priced ereader that is sadly somewhat let down by having the light bleed issue which should have been easily avoidable in manufacture or while being assembled.

that being said you maybe one of those that isn't bothered in the slightest by it.

please come back and let us all know the outcome.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara, h2o