Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 3 Indexing

I have been reading ebooks for a year on an iTouch G2 and am now in the fantasy phase as I await the delivery of my Kindle 3. In the last year I have never searched a book so since I have read that it can take hours for Kindle to index books I am curious if indexing can be disabled? I really can't imagine using the search function for reading fiction.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101364

...search before ask....
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
niceboy
Enthusiast

Sorry

---

"I have found out, that if I set attr. "read only" to Index.db in Search Indexes, the kindle will stop indexing and will be fast again."

Unfortunately that from Developer's Corner goes way over my head... Index.db? "Searches Indexes"? Are these debug commands? Script lines? Hacks? I am a dumb old end-user. I was wondering if there was just a menue command or something

Last edited by niceboy; 10-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
Sorry Thanks.
These threads can be hard to search, and sometimes the results don't always show what you want.

Questions are always welcomed here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I have been reading ebooks for a year on an iTouch G2 and am now in the fantasy phase as I await the delivery of my Kindle 3. In the last year I have never searched a book so since I have read that it can take hours for Kindle to index books I am curious if indexing can be disabled? I really can't imagine using the search function for reading fiction.
It only takes hours if you put a large number of books on the Kindle at one time. If that is something you plan/want to do, just add them before you go to bed, make sure the Kindle is plugged into wall power and go to sleep. When you wake up in the morning, indexing should be complete (if you don't put more than a couple of hundred books on the night before).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
niceboy
Enthusiast

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
mstetz
mstetz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The ability to search fiction can actually be quite useful. If you come across a character that was previously introduced, you can go back to where they were first mentioned and refresh your memory. Also, when new characters are introduced, you can look ahead to see if they are a major character or not (lots of references or not). I use it all the time.

Marty
mstetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstetz View Post
The ability to search fiction can actually be quite useful. If you come across a character that was previously introduced, you can go back to where they were first mentioned and refresh your memory.

Marty
Amen to this!! I don't use it to look ahead (you might find out stuff you don't want to know yet!) but it is *very* useful to remind me who this character is, when he was introduced a few chapters ago. Especially if it has been a day or so since I last dove into this book. I've forgotten the names of the semi-minor characters by then.

Yes, it takes maybe a minute to search within the book you are reading ... but a second search is faster, since it seems to save the search data.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
niceboy
Enthusiast

Quote:
The ability to search fiction can actually be quite useful. If you come across a character that was previously introduced, you can go back to where they were first mentioned and refresh your memory. Also, when new characters are introduced, you can look ahead to see if they are a major character or not (lots of references or not). I use it all the time.

Marty
Interesting! Thanks for the tip... had not thought of that.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Marty
Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for the tip... had not thought of that.
Comes in really handy when reading Agatha Christie!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
qisaiman
qisaiman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
it seems that there is no definte calculation one can rely on to evalute the time needed to index certain books,say how many pages / per second.
qisaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I dumped 300 books on to my DXG when it arrived at my house. I plugged it in and played with it while it was adding books. I didn't have any real problems with indexing but I did leave it charging for the better part of three hours.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote