Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The time between charges is probably the best metric for these devices, not page count. As others have pointed out, the page turns are just one factor, the and the page count numbers unfairly remove those factors (so it is an optimistic estimate for a speed reader who can churn through thousands of pages per day).

5 days is a bit low... if no music is being used, I'd say the battery is probably starting to go south. A fresh battery and you are up to snuff. My 505 is still holding a 2-3 week charge after 2 years, so I consider myself lucky.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Richard Whittle
Richard Whittle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600S
You need a charger!

My PRS600 kept dying on me, even though I kept it plugged in to my PC via a USB. I bought a stand-alone charger. Since then I have not had any problems.
Richard Whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijrobertson View Post
The auction said it was as new, and I assumed (stupid me) it hadn't been used much.
To be fair, it may just have been sitting on a shelf. LiIon batteries decay with age as much as with use.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
The OP has never come back to clarify his problem.

Quote:
I made a big mistake buying the prs-505 from ebay - secondhand. The auction said it was as new, and I assumed (stupid me) it hadn't been used much.
Buying it on ebay is fine but it may make getting any warrenty service tough.

Quote:
Since I bought it,I haven't used it all that much, instead I'd read a bit and recharge. Now I see the battery won't last five days. I can get through less than 1k of pages.
He states 1k of pages not 1k page turns. On my reader 1k of pages would equal around 8.5k of page turns due to the font size I use. Given the default I would think this might be around 3k of page turns.

3k isn't great but exactly how many bars are showing when he feels obligated to recharge or is his reader dieing at this point? When my reader hits 2 bars I feel the need to top it off and that is after about 400 pages (or 3.3k page turns).

It sounds as if he is the typical new user that has not got his reader fully charged yet.

Not knowing anything further I couldn't guess if he is having battery problems. I would recommend that he buy a PSP wall charger (ebay might be good for that) and give his reader a full charge.

Of course the other standard bits of advice apply. Don't leave music playing all of the time. A SD card can drain your battery faster. Leaving your reader attached to a usb port and having the computer go to sleep or turn off can effect your charge drastically.

Quote:
I feel really dissapointed and ripped off. I should have bought a new one, the difference was not that great.
Until you take the advice of folks on here I wouldn't feel ripped off yet, there's still hope. In the future though you might feel better buying from the manufacturer, we all have different levels of risk we're comfortable with.

I hope it eventually all works itself out to your satisfaction.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
Go to a local GameStop (or any used video game store) and purchase a used PSP charger (PSP-1000, 2000, 3000 chargers will work for sure, not sure about the PSP-GO, haven't seen the charger). USB charging on my 505 never seemed to last while charging via the PSP AC adapter seems to keep it charged for weeks, I'm not sure what the difference is or if I'm imagining it, but at least on my own personal anecdotal experience it seems to be the case.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #21
c1yat
c1yat doesn't litterc1yat doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Just run it completely down a few times and give it an overnight charge to set up again. it should be fine. Try and do this every three months or so and it should keep it fresh
c1yat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
He states 1k of pages not 1k page turns. On my reader 1k of pages would equal around 8.5k of page turns due to the font size I use. Given the default I would think this might be around 3k of page turns.
What do you mean by "pages" and what by "page turns"?
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinBL View Post
What do you mean by "pages" and what by "page turns"?
The epub lists a number of pages. The one I'm reading right now is 443 pages. This number matches the number of pages in a normal paper book.

Since I want to avoid using reading glasses I have increased the font size on my ebook. The increased font size means I have go through around 9 screens (changing between each screen = 1 page turn) of text before the page number at the bottom changes.

This means that to read the entire 443 pages I would have to go through (9x443) 3987 screen changes or what are considered page turns for battery usage.

Using lrf the pages down the bottom would change to reflect this increase in font size and would show 3987 vice 443 but with epub the pages down bottom always reflect the same number no matter how many screens you have to go through.

Hopefully some of this makes sense.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #24
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Yes, it makes sense.

I did not used ePub yet. I will wait for PRS+ 1.02 so that I can change font for ePub because default font don't display Central European characters that I need. So I didn't yet see how ePub indexes number of pages at the bottom. Well...LRF system of indexing has more sense, at least to me, number of pages is changed depending on the font size.

I am new user and for what I see LRF is very nice, I will finish current book in LRF and read next in ePub so that I can see the difference. If I am not mistaken many users here prefer LRF over ePub.

As for the battery, I just have USB cable, but I will try to find PSP adapter because it is highly recommended here on forum
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dying, prs-505