Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
SONY READER FREE BOOKS - NEW ONES

Found some new Sony Reader books that are free...........

Fantasy:

His Majesty's Dragon, by Naomi Novik
Blood Engines, by T. A. Pratt
Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb

Science Fiction:

Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson

Business/Finance:

OUTSMART!, Intro & Chap 1, by Jim Champy
OUTSMART!, Epilogue, by Jim Champy
INSPIRE!, Intro & Chap 1, by Jim Champy

(I just searched by his name Jim Champy, and all the $0 books came up)

Mystery - for those of you that missed it in December-January:

Knife Music, by David Carnoy

Last edited by bookratt; 03-05-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: New info to add
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Cool! I have had Red Mars on my "to Read" list for a long time. Now would seem to be a good time to acquire it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thank you, Bookratt.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Free is my favorite kind of book...thanks much
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
There have been a couple of other threads started to share information about the Fantasy & SF books on this list. There is a promotion by the publisher, Random House, to give away first books from various series. They have set up a web site which distributes the books in PDF format -- http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/ -- and the books are being distributed in other formats through various online sellers. These are available for free from Amazon for the Kindle and iPhone/iPod_Touch and from Sony. I'd wouldn't be surprised if Fictionwise offers them for free at some point in the near future.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Arrgh Assassin's Apprentice is not available in Canada.

The next two in the series are available. What's up with that?
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
There have been a couple of other threads started to share information about the Fantasy & SF books on this list. There is a promotion by the publisher, Random House, to give away first books from various series. They have set up a web site which distributes the books in PDF format -- http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/ -- and the books are being distributed in other formats through various online sellers. These are available for free from Amazon for the Kindle and iPhone/iPod_Touch and from Sony. I'd wouldn't be surprised if Fictionwise offers them for free at some point in the near future.
I agree that I downloaded the first 4 mentioned from Random House in PDF based on another thread. There were 5 at Random House and only 4 mentioned here. Oversight, bad timing, or what?
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Books that you download from Sony, look like lrx.

Can I re-name them as LRF and read them on any reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Books that you download from Sony, look like lrx.
afaik, lrx is just DRM'd lrf...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
I agree that I downloaded the first 4 mentioned from Random House in PDF based on another thread. There were 5 at Random House and only 4 mentioned here. Oversight, bad timing, or what?
Random House switched titles at the last minute, apparantly. It's another book in that same series by Turtledove.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
afaik, lrx is just DRM'd lrf...
But these are free titles. Are they DRMed?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
But these are free titles. Are they DRMed?
If you get them on the Sony site, yes.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Are the titles available anywhere else in a format other than PDF?
I have downloaded from Sony so have the DRM'd version. Would be nice to get a version I could strip the DRM from...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Are the titles available anywhere else in a format other than PDF?
I have downloaded from Sony so have the DRM'd version. Would be nice to get a version I could strip the DRM from...
If you are talking about "free" classics all of those are available at many sites including our own ebooks sections.

If you are talking about contemporary books then there is the illegal option of buying a format who's DRM can be removed and then converting it to LRF.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
illegal option of buying a format who's DRM can be removed and then converting it to LRF.

BOb
Didn't mean the 100 Classics... Meant the few that are currently freely available as listed above.

I have downloaded 3 from the sony website (so all legit), just would prefer to remove the DRM so I can reformat to my personal preference... If I can't then I can't. Was just wondering if I could legitimately get them in a non DRM format or a format I can strip DRM!