Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Unhappy Indexing is truly vexing ...

I have upgraded my Kindle Touch to 5.3.2 and suddenly the battery lasted less and less (just 3-4 days down to 20-30%).
Then inspiration struck me and I went to check how many books were still indexing and I found that out of my 650 books, 550 were still unindexed.
I am now slowly (20-30 books at a time !!!) trying to understand which books were the culprits for the slow down, but it is terribly slow. In 3 days I believe I must have inserted maybe 1/4th of the books.
It is boring.
Now comes the question:
does anybody know a sure (as far as possible) way to make sure books can be indexed correctly ? Said in other words, what gets a book stuck in indexing ?
I tried to look in other thread and I found out how to restart the indexing by deleting the indices, but that does not help. I could not find any mention on my question.
Maybe I did not ask the right question and did not find the right answer.

Does anybody know a possible answer ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It seems to happen most often when a large number of books are loaded at once. I load my books generally one at a time (though on occasion I've loaded 6 - 10 titles), and I've never had an indexing problem.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Ganfas
Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Do you really need to have all the ebook collection in the Kindle at the same time?
Ganfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganfas View Post
Do you really need to have all the ebook collection in the Kindle at the same time?
It is my pile of books to read and also my reference books. I could definitely have fewer books with me, they just grew with time.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Publicity Amazon

Paperwhite 1100 books

Kindle 4 black 1400 books
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Ganfas
Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I understand that kindle support 1100 books, but for usability purpose i think that's better to have the ebook collection on PC and use Calibre (for example) to mantain the library. I do this with my collection and i only have about 10 / 15 books on the kindle. The ones i'm currently reading and the ones predict will want to read after.

Until know never noticed any problem with the indexing
Ganfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I understand that kindle support 1100 books, but for usability purpose i think that's better to have the ebook collection on PC and use Calibre (for example) to mantain the library. I do this with my collection and i only have about 10 / 15 books on the kindle. The ones i'm currently reading and the ones predict will want to read after.

Until know never noticed any problem with the indexing
You won't if you only have 10-15 books. The only time problems generally occur is if you load hundreds of books in one go. I generally load them in batches of about 20, and wait for one batch to finish indexing before loading the next. I have about 850 books on my PW, but they've been added gradually, not all at once.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
If only Amazon gave us the option to turn off indexing - I'm sure some people find it useful, but I've never had to search inside a book so it's something I could happily do without - but then Amazon don't seem to be particularly good at giving options on the Kindle(s)

I've so far only moved the 200 or so books in my to read pile to the PW. Did it in one batch before going to bed and left it plugged to the charger overnight while it was doing its thing... All went well so might transfer the rest of my books at some point.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In some posts it's said that the Kindle does not run on full speed when on battery, just like most notebooks. It's suggested that you put it on the charger for one or two nights.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In some posts it's said that the Kindle does not run on full speed when on battery, just like most notebooks. It's suggested that you put it on the charger for one or two nights.
Yes - definitely a good idea to leave it on the charger while it's indexing.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - definitely a good idea to leave it on the charger while it's indexing.
I tried that as well. But it still gets stuck at times. Fresh with this experience, I do not think it matters, maybe it is a tiny bit slower, but it still trundles on.

What is perplexing is also the fact that, for example, if it is stuck sometimes it is enough to restart it for the indexing to start again.

I loaded about 50 ebooks of my pile, and it stopped after 20. Restart kindle -> other 15 indexed -> restart kindle -> it is dealing with the rest.

In case you wonder, I restarted the kindle after 3-4 hours since the last apparent movement. And after that, it starts moving again. Why it gets stuck and then can restart again is baffling for me.

I just hope I can finish asap.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
After about five days, I'm finally down to eleven books. Any idea in what order the indexing is performed? If it runs into a problem, does it keep beating on the problem book or does it proceed to a different one? Does the system multi-task, or just do one book at a time?

I only had 167 books... I mean I only HAVE 167 ITEMs now. I probably added fifteen or so after my initial batch.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's been said time and time again here that it's not a good idea to add lots of books at a time. It really is sensible to listen to what people have learnt previously and benefit from our mistakes .
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I made this mistake once, on accident. I had dragged and dropped about a thousand ebooks/articles/etc onto a Kindle I had connected to my PC. I thought I had dropped the payload onto my other external drive.

Later, after I realized that my Kindle was moving slower than tar coming out of a bucket in a Maine January, I saw that I had 1100~ books somehow on my Kindle. And, none on the external drive. Thankfully, the freakout was averted.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's been said time and time again here that it's not a good idea to add lots of books at a time. It really is sensible to listen to what people have learnt previously and benefit from our mistakes .
I think Amazon doesn't expect people to carry around hundreds or thousands of books. They're not mp3's....

I always have a batch of 10 or so on the Kindle, and replace them with different ones when they're done. I've never carried 500 paper books around and never saw the need to
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing kindle