Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Reader on vacation

We will be going to Cancun and I was wondering how many people bring physical books to read by the pool or beach? Or do you bring your reader? My thinking is that when I go in the water I don't want to worry about it. The resort is pretty large, I would not want to go back and forth to our room very often.

I have not bought a physical book in over 7 months. I would prefer to read off my Nook if possible, but was unsure of what most people with readers do. Do you buy books just to read while away? Or read off your reader and leave it on your bed/chair?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I bring mine pretty much everywhere. If I'm around water, I'll just toss it in a ziplock bag to keep it from getting wet. Works pretty well.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I bring mine pretty much everywhere. If I'm around water, I'll just toss it in a ziplock bag to keep it from getting wet. Works pretty well.
like that
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Sorry, I should have explained more. I was wondering if people leave their readers out or put them in their room so they don't have to worry about theft?

The ziplock is a good idea though!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't think I would want my ereader unguarded at a public beach. Same with wallet, watch, rings mp3 player etc. I would definitely take it with me though on holiday for use in non beach areas.

Many hotels have small lending library.

Bring a book or two just in case and maybe splurge on a magazine for the beach.

Also you can generally add a rider to your insurance to cover electronic items while travelling.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
DrLaurenceBrown
DrLaurenceBrown began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bring my Nook Color pretty much everywhere and haven't purchased a paperback in quite some time now. If I were reading near the pool however I might consider a paperback to avoid the possibility of theft...That and sometimes e-readers catch a glare outside which gives me a headache.
DrLaurenceBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Here in Brazil thieves might think your ereader is a tablet and would take it. If it's a physical book, no problem, they don't read so won't touch it.

Some folks even created the perfect tablet/ereader cover.

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 06-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I'm taking mine with me to Hawaii next week and I do plan on reading on the beach Generally I will have my wife with me and generally we are not both in the water at the same time. One plays with the kids while the other gets a break in the chair so I can just leave it and she will keep an eye on it. But I do also take a towel or towels with me and will hide it. It also helps to chit chat with your neighbors on the beach then they will help you watch your stuff if you take a quick dip.

On another note about two weeks ago I took my Tablet (android 7" ) with me camping on the frio river (didn't have my Nook yet). Took it with me while I floated in the river
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I bought nice Dry Bags from a marine supplier.

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I guess it depends on where you are at
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I bought nice Dry Bags from a marine supplier.

Now that looks like you could take the reader swimming with you.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Now that looks like you could take the reader swimming with you.
I did earlier today, actually.

My primary goal was to be better able to read while soaking in the tub, but lounging in the pool works too. I did get a bit of a sunburn.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
I'd carry the reader, and put it somewhere safe. Maybe I'd put it in a ziploc bag too, to prevent water and sand getting into it... though I suppose the glare would be a problem.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Where I work in the Cayman Islands I'm seeing more e-readers by the pool, on the beach, etc. And the 'lending libraries' of physical books guests leave at the various resorts are getting smaller. I like the dry bag idea. If there's no marine supplier near you, try the camping section of any sporting goods store.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have been to Cancun on vacation once its a great palce to vacation, hower makes shure you go into town and see the town and the local ruins they are great. As far as the reader goes I will second what has been said earlier, put the reader in a plastic bag and keep an eye on it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote