Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Language Icon?

I believe that even though I'm personally language limited to my native American, I benefit from the cultural diversity I see in this nearly global forum. Good (or bad) news in one language is quickly (and mercifully) translated for those of us that are language challenged. So I do understand why there are threads in different languages here and I do think I benefit from those conversations indirectly.

But...it is somewhat frustrating to see a message header that looks like something I might want to read, only to open the thread and find the conversation is in another language. Often the message title provides a clue about the language the thread uses, but just as often it does not. I also know that on the front page you have a "Non-English Discussions" section, but when you use the "Quick Links - Today's Posts" to show all the threads I've missed since my last log-in, then even the Non-English Discussions are included.

OK, now that I got the sniveling out of the way, here is the request:
Does this forum tool permit the addendum of a flag icon to each thread to indicate graphically what the primary language is for that thread? I would even cede using the UK flag for thoughtful discussions in english and the US flag for less reverent threads (admitting that embedded flaming in a 'thoughtful' discussion might require changing the flag from UK to US).

Might not be do-able in this forum tool, but I think others might find the feature useful also if its possible.

If I've been politically incorrect to anyone except Americans in this post, I apoligize in advance and request you read the following Discaimer:

This message does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or alter ego; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; this message has not been safety tested for children under the age of 3; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; intended solely for the private use of our audience; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; caveat emptor; prices may vary in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico; message is provided "as is" without any warranties; reader assumes full responsibility; past performance does not predict future results and people can and do lose money; an equal opportunity message; no shoes, no shirt, no message; quantities are limited while supplies last; if any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center; read at your own risk; parental advisory - explicit lyrics; text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; keep away from sunlight; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; no money down; no purchase necessary; you need not be present to win; some assembly required; batteries not included; instructions are included; action figures sold separately; no preservatives added; slippery when wet; safety goggles may be required during use; sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken; call before you dig; not liable for damages arising from use or misuse; for external use only; if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading; read only with proper ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place; keep away from open flames; avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit; do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; smoking this message could be hazardous to your health; no salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician; may cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensify this effect; use caution when operating a car or dangerous machinery; possible penalties for early withdrawal; offer valid only at participating sites; slightly higher west of the Rockies; allow four to six weeks for delivery; must be 18 to read; objects in mirror are closer than they appear; disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.); other restrictions may apply; contest ends 12-31-98; contents measured by weight only, contents may settle in transit; May cause random outbursts of extreme violence, epileptic seizures, or whatever; actual message may differ from illustration on box.

Last edited by pking36330; 05-27-2009 at 10:51 AM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Pking:

Where are you running into this? Most of the fora here are pretty much all English with an occasional German, Spanish, or French post. The German and French Fora are clearly marked and there is not currenlty a Spanish forum. If you are using the "New Posts" function, I am afraid that there is not really a current way of doing what you are nicely requesting, but there may be something that is coming in the new software upgrade that is rolling toward us. At least, Alex has hinted that there may be more ability to tag posts.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Where are you running into this?
I use the Quick Links selection "Today's Posts" almost exclusively to see what has been posted recently that might interest me. I've run across several items there with interesting titles that when opened are threads in another language. Nothing more than a back button to return to the list, but an icon indicating language would save that data call on the Mobileread server for a page I didn't really want, I just didn't know I didn't want it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I use the Quick Links selection "Today's Posts" almost exclusively to see what has been posted recently that might interest me. I've run across several items there with interesting titles that when opened are threads in another language. Nothing more than a back button to return to the list, but an icon indicating language would save that data call on the Mobileread server for a page I didn't really want, I just didn't know I didn't want it.
That may be something we can eventually fix. I know that there are quite a few frustrations with similar concerns and Alex is looking ofr a solution. Thanks for any patience you need to expend in putting up with us in the mean time...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
You can disable some forums in User CP - Edit Options - Forum Exclusion (at the bottom). I'm not sure if it works with "Today's Posts" but it definitely works with "New Posts" link. Use Ctrl-click to select several forums.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Thanks for any patience you need to expend in putting up with us in the mean time...
That is such a minor ting compared to the benefits I've gained from reading this forum that I almost feel guilty mentioning it. I think it would be an improvement, but there's nothing really broken. Thanks to all the moderators and the forum host for running this incredible resource.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Using a flag graphic often does the trick.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote