Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I need the name of a kindgom

This is for my Heart of Rock story. People keep getting confused because there are two cities, and people tend to assume that when I talk about the second city that I'm really referring to the first city. There are geographic cues in the story that indicate that the two cities are on opposite sides of a mountain range, but I guess they're too subtle, because just about every beta reader is making the same mistake.

I need a name for either the kingdom or it's capitol city. The city is a walled city with a castle inside it - it backs on mountains, but the other side of the city are rich agricultural lands. The kingdom gets it's wealth both from agriculture and from mines in the mountains.

I'm lousy at thinking up names, but I'm having Rob Antonishen <RobA@cartocopia.com> draw me a map that I hope will help with the confusion, and if I have a map, I'm going to have to have at least a descriptive name. (the city where two rivers meet is The City of Wizards, for example)

*sigh* and I thought this story was in it's final beta form.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How about something like Mountopolis? Sort of a mix of mountain top and the idea of a metropolis, which sort of reinforces the idea of a capitol city. You could even have the city and castle have the same name as in the real world cities grew up around such sites as castles and other fortifications.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Clifton (Cliff town)? I suppose "Hilton" might be a problem.

High Fields, for the mountain and farmlands.

If you don't mind borrowing from the mythology of our world, Ceres was the Roman goddess of grain and fertility -- you could work that into a name. The Greek equivalent was Demeter.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Nookage Kingdom
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Across the mountain range -- "Transalpinia."

Or "Trans-whatever-your-mountain-range-is-called."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
You could always name a town after a pass or ford, if one of those is nearby...

Then again, you could come up with just about any name, so called by or after its founder(s) or patron god (e.g. Athens is named after the god(dess) Athena).

If you want us to just throw out a bunch of names, then we could, I suppose... Anthykyra. I like that one.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
How about something like "Crags Keep?"
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
MichelleLouring
Owl Lady
MichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
You could always name a town after a pass or ford, if one of those is nearby...

Then again, you could come up with just about any name, so called by or after its founder(s) or patron god (e.g. Athens is named after the god(dess) Athena).
I'm in the same situation as the OP and your suggestions are a great help I don't know why it never occurred to me to name a city after a god, considering that a crucial part of my books is about the world's mythology.
MichelleLouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Becca,

I hope you won't be offended by this, but I couldn't help noticing that in the original post in this thread, you put an apostrophe in a possessive "its" three times:

it's capitol city
it's wealth
it's final beta form

Could you just check and make sure that you haven't done this in the real story? It's the kind of thing that really bugs me (and other people, too) when people get this wrong.

Thanks
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleLouring View Post
I'm in the same situation as the OP and your suggestions are a great help I don't know why it never occurred to me to name a city after a god, considering that a crucial part of my books is about the world's mythology.
Happy to be of service.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Becca,

I hope you won't be offended by this, but I couldn't help noticing that in the original post in this thread, you put an apostrophe in a possessive "its" three times:

it's capitol city
it's wealth
it's final beta form

Could you just check and make sure that you haven't done this in the real story? It's the kind of thing that really bugs me (and other people, too) when people get this wrong.

Thanks
I try hard to not do that, but that's one reason why I use both an editor and a proofreader.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I try hard to not do that, but that's one reason why I use both an editor and a proofreader.
Yeah, I know what you mean, it seems like I toss in comma for no good reason every 10 -20 letters or so. It's easy to spot once I've put it out there for the world to see. But before I've made a fool of myself? Not so much.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
it backs on mountains, but the other side of the city are rich agricultural lands.
Screeslide

It really depends on what sort of vibe you're after, whatever name you pick will influence people's impression of the city. A city called Grot is going to conjure up different images to one called Spreading Oaks.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Thoureau. The Strangest Kindgom of Thoureau.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I've always found that naming tends to be one of my easier tasks. When in doubt, I just name something based along the item or person's characteristics. Now, figuring out character personalities and back story, that's a bit more of a challenge. lol.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote