Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Have you been misled by reviews before?

I always look at reviews before buying books. I'm sure most of us do. There was an author that everybody liked, and I got a chance to reading one of their works. It had several grammar errors, and the plot was full of holes (the ending, and several other major conflicts that held up the book's plot, was resolved by attaching some blame to one of the main characters and dubbing it as a "misunderstanding".). So I wonder if I had been misled, but then I continue to wonder, at least 90% of the reviewers left 4-5 stars and were "dazzled". So I'm wondering, is it just me? Am I just a bad reader or something? I was considering buying a book from the same author just to see if it was really me, but this time I specifically searched for reviews that mentioned the editing, and I found a few criticizing the seeming lack of an editor (they mentioned the jumbled sentences, spelling and punctuation errors). I wouldn't really delve much into plot, as I think those may be subjective, but then are there any general plot rules that "good" writers must follow?

Another question, I would like to write good reviews, so would appreciate anyone's advice on the matter.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I sometimes think people are afraid to admit they don't like a book that most people have given great reviews. I'll admit that I've felt strange about it myself, but being honest always wins out.

I'm always suspicious of a book with less than ten reviews that are all five stars. I feel like those are either from people who know the author or maybe "traded" reviews with other authors.

Don't feel bad and waste your money on an author you didn't enjoy the first time around. It's okay to be yourself and we all have different taste. There is nothing wrong with you, you are just you.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is becoming standard operating procedure. False reviews are even more widespread at travel sites, such as Trip Advisor. You can't believe anything you read anymore.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I like reviews, indeed I have a blog where I post reviews of independently developed videogames. I've been considering about how to go about writing book reviews myself. Should I be hypercritical or extremely gushy? Consider this response from an author after I sent him my review prior to the reviews publication,

"I wish that you placed your last line—the fact that you enjoyed the novel and laughed--at the beginning of your review. As written, I don’t know that anyone would read beyond some of the criticism. I hope that you will consider some modifications to your review —I do not think that what I suggested would compromise your viewpoint—only make it more balanced. You said that you enjoyed the book—please give other people the chance to enjoy it as well."

Personally, I feel that the author is underestimating his audience, but I did modify my review and I do feel that the review is better because of it.

On the other hand, what with free samples, reviews are essentially meaningless. Just click to send to device and read at your leisure.

Is the true purpose of a review to get the browser to click the button? Or to get the browser to not click the button? That is the question.

Last edited by Giggleton; 03-27-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I sometimes think people are afraid to admit they don't like a book that most people have given great reviews. I'll admit that I've felt strange about it myself, but being honest always wins out.

I'm always suspicious of a book with less than ten reviews that are all five stars. I feel like those are either from people who know the author or maybe "traded" reviews with other authors.

Don't feel bad and waste your money on an author you didn't enjoy the first time around. It's okay to be yourself and we all have different taste. There is nothing wrong with you, you are just you.
thanks but the thing is, i'm tempted. this author has been reviewed by hundreds of people (and they are a favorite, it seems), and when i read the blurb, it has a good plot. it's just a shame that they don't listen to their editor or something.

@dixie: indeed D:
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I've been considering about how to go about writing book reviews myself. Should I be hypercritical or extremely gushy?

On the other hand, what with free samples, reviews are essentially meaningless. Just click to send to device and read at your leisure.

Is the true purpose of a review to get the browser to click the button? Or to get the browser to not click the button? That is the question.

I don't think you should be hypercritical nor gushing. In both cases you'll put off the reader. Just be honest. Tell your reader what you liked and what you would change. Generally, readers get their reviews from people who have the same tastes as they, so it would be advisable to share some details about your own tastes and preferances. The key is that the reader must be able to trust and connect with you; they must believe that you would not recommend a game or book that you yourself would not be willingly to play.

I like Rogert Eberts review system. When he reviews a movie, he tries to think of who the movie was made for and what it is trying to accomplish. Thus, he doesn't apply the standards of one genre to another. Generally, one star means that a movie has no redeeming value,two stars means it will probably appeal to hardcore fans, three stars means it will appeal to general fans of the genre, and four stars means it's a masterpiece. He is far from perfect in his reviews, but overall I think it is a good system.

Nevertheless, no matter how much you like the product you are reviewing, you should always try to find ways it can be improved, or at least point out aspects of the work that you readership may dislike. This will add credibility to your review, and it will force you to think more deeply about it. This does not mean, however that you should make up flaws or nitpick. If you genuinely cannot find anything wrong with a work then say so.

Conversely, no matter how bad you feel a work is you should still try to find some redeeming qualities about it. No work is all bad, and you lose credibility if you just completely trash a work.

I disagree with your assertion that samples make reviews obsolete. A review gives a reader an overrall impression of the work. Additionally, a reviewer can moderate the readers expectations, or in other words, warn the reader what he can and cannot expect from a work. It can be as simple as "if you go into the book expecting a fun, albeitly slighted convoluted plot, you might be able to enjoy this work. If you want deep and complex characters, you might want to look elsewhere." Specifics are nice, but you don't want to give the whole thing away. A sample cannot give an overrall impression of a work. There are lots of books that start off slow and then get great. Again, you should moderate expectations. If a book is a slow starter, warn your audience and tell them that if they slog through the slow beginning they will be rewarded later on. Conversely, some books start off great and get worse and worse.

To restate my first point, a reviewer needs to know himself. You are really just talking to yourself, articulating what you liked and what you disliked. This requires that you know what you like in a book, and you should let your readers now what you like as well. You really cannot review for someone with different tastes. The best thing you can do is be honest with yourself and your readers; otherwise, they will cease to trust you. The point is not to encourage to click or not to click, but to provide the reader with what he needs to know to make an informed decision.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I must also add that a review from someone you know and trust is better than a thousand reviews from strangers.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard

@spell: i try to write reviews for most books that I've read, but if a book is littered with grammar errors (for example), I usually tend to voice it since that is really one of my main points of contention. However, i've heard of authors lashing out at negative reviews, so I usually write nervously. i don't try to purposely pick faults; in fact, i must be one of the easiest readers to please. i just want good grammar

Last edited by wyndslash; 03-28-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, I think Sturgeon's Law applies to reviews as well as books themselves...

Still, some of the things you are complaining about could apply to things widely considered to be a great work of literature. The Big Sleep, for instance. Chandler tried to make it more realistic in terms of dialogue, so there are grammar errors. He also cobbled it together from 3 different, unrelated short stories, so it's got plot holes.

So to an extent, things are in the eye of the beholder. And different people like different aspects of books. Most of Louis L'amour's books are badly written and plotted (at least he used the same ones over and over). Yet they are very enjoyable to read.

Anyway, I write video game reviews for a very small site. Often I am tempted to fudge a little on the side of the developers, because I know they worked on it and they (at least for the things I write about) don't sell all that many copies to begin with. (Not to mention, they sometimes pay for advertising on the site...)

But then I try to be as honest as possible, because ultimately I'm writing for the benefit of the buyer. It's spooky when you realize that people might actually buy a game because of your review. But then you realize it's a responsibility. Same goes with books.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard

@jeremy: i don't mind the grammar errors if it's used to help characterize the character. but what i am talking about is not, unfortunately, used to help the person imagine the character more vividly. i guess it's hard to understand unless you read the book that i did :P as it is, the author is well-loved so that's good. i like the plots, though, so I guess that's unfortunate.

well, i tend to rely on reviews since people have already experienced whatever item they're reviewing. i tend to read both the positive and negative ones, though. i guess the negative review i read was more detailed, rather than just saying they hated it. the positive reviews were more on the line of, "i loved this author!" that sort of thing, not really pointing out what ABOUT the story they liked.

i was just wondering, though, how so many people could say they enjoyed it thoroughly if it was chock full of errors.

Last edited by wyndslash; 03-28-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I always look at reviews before buying books. I'm sure most of us do.
I doubt that, myself. I never base my book-buying decisions on other peoples' views of a book, because I have no way of knowing whether or not their likes and dislikes in any way coincide with my own.

The only sort of review that would stop me from buying a book would be a report that it was poorly produced - ie, full of errors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt that, myself. I never base my book-buying decisions on other peoples' views of a book, because I have no way of knowing whether or not their likes and dislikes in any way coincide with my own.

The only sort of review that would stop me from buying a book would be a report that it was poorly produced - ie, full of errors.
well yes, that's what we can both agree on. i try to find a reviewer who points out if there are lots of errors, but i find that most don't :| i guess in the end it's like the lottery. i've found gems but also fool's gold
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Same here.

Some folk like Harry Potter, others don't.
Some like Lord of the Rings, some don't.

I tend to go with gut feeling and to authors I've read before - though that is not always a safe bet. One favourite author seemed to give a good read in one series, but I couldn't read another of their series.....

In most of what I read, if the storyline doesn't grab me within (say) 15% of the start, I stop and move on.

My biggest internal moan is grammar and incorrect words - in the story I am currently reading I get weather instead of whether
, their instead of there - which is a shame because the general storyline is an otherwise good one.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard

@geoff: well yes, that is also my pet peeve. i usually tend to look for anything that mentions too much errors.

well, i guess it really is just a hit and miss. still, would love it if reviews on amazon or GR had some sort of criteria.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I never base my book-buying decisions on other peoples' views of a book, because I have no way of knowing whether or not their likes and dislikes in any way coincide with my own.
I'm exactly the same, and I don't even bother to look at the reviews, they're totally meaningless. For a laugh, I've had a look at the Katie Price "books" - they all seem to have average ratings of around 4 stars... so accordingly they must be good and I should buy them because so many people like them, erm no thanks
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote