Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #106
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Actually, it's fairly easy to buy books on their bookstore with ANY credit card. Just change your country of residence, and you'll be fine.
Not true - Some credit card issuers don't supply enough address information for the store to validate their details, but some do & as a result, get rejected.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I suspect that unless they stop using Adobe's software... and develop their own, ePubs will probably continue looking as well-nigh unreadable as they do today.

- Ahi
Don't you think that considering the display of a small page number in the right hand margin to be making the book "unreadable" is a slight exaggeration?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #108
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think that considering the display of a small page number in the right hand margin to be making the book "unreadable" is a slight exaggeration?
Subjective, perhaps.

I cannot bring myself to read anything in ePub format on account of the right hand margin crap. To me, it is nothing short of unreadable.

I have acknowledged--admittedly in a subsequent post--that my views on the subject are not shared by the majority.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #109
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
I suspect that unless they stop using Adobe's software... and develop their own, ePubs will probably continue looking as well-nigh unreadable as they do today.

- Ahi
Well, I have some breaking news here for you: ADE can render ePubs just fine. The only problem right away is the fact that the ADEPT engine on the Sony is not up to date! Oh, and the little fact that most epub producers don't know what they're doing!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Subjective, perhaps.

I cannot bring myself to read anything in ePub format on account of the right hand margin crap. To me, it is nothing short of unreadable.

I have acknowledged--admittedly in a subsequent post--that my views on the subject are not shared by the majority.

- Ahi
I'd owned my Opus for a week before I even noticed that they were there .
Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #111
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Something I found interesting in this slashgear article....

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-to-ado...eader-1352146/

......." Sony will also provide an update path for owners of the first edition Reader, model PRS-500, so early adopters of the Reader will also be able to enjoy this benefit."

Last edited by kikar; 08-13-2009 at 09:43 AM.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
Something I found interesting in this slashgear artiocle....

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-to-ado...eader-1352146/

......." Sony will also provide an update path for owners of the first edition Reader, model PRS-500, so early adopters of the Reader will also be able to enjoy this benefit."
That may simply be referring to the $100 trade-in offer.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #113
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, I have some breaking news here for you: ADE can render ePubs just fine. The only problem right away is the fact that the ADEPT engine on the Sony is not up to date! Oh, and the little fact that most epub producers don't know what they're doing!
Your breaking news will be stale in a few hours. If you updated your post at that time to no longer claim it to be "breaking", I'd be grateful. Pet peeve of mine, you understand!

Also, while you are not wrong... eBook format makers also don't know what they are doing... which ultimately results in formats (i.e.: all of them) that even with the best of intentions cannot produce professional results.

But everybody knew I would say that... no?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #114
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't really matter if they do in that circumstance, does it? The whole point about having a single "industry standard" format is that you can then freely move your books between devices, so DRM becomes irrelevent.
Yes - I agree - it's an excellent solution. It will allow me to make personal 'fair use' of my purchase - I'd use my Reader when at home, but will be able to pop a current book on my iPod touch to take with me, instead of having to buy 2 copies, which I have done on occasion.

However, it also places important and necessary restrictions on piracy and theft. I see DRM as a practical and moral necessity, and have no problem with it what-so-ever, when it is fairly employed.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #115
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Press release is up.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #116
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Press release is up.
Thanks Igor, I will update the front page
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #117
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Subjective, perhaps.

- Ahi
No, they are not. AApparently, in your case, 'unreadable' is a psychological condition rather than an objective one.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #118
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Press release is up.
Nice! Answers the question on ePub support for the 500 (yes).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #119
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
From the press release:

Quote:
Sony will also provide an update path for owners of the first edition Reader, model PRS-500, so early adopters of the Reader will be able to enjoy this benefit as well.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #120
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
500 and Epub

So if I understand correctly I will be able to convert my lrf books to Epub, will that only be with a vehicle like calibre or what..? Also I like the look of HMTL on ADE what exactly do people not like about epub look, will all the books currently at the connect store go to epub? I know most of this has probably been answered by reading all the posts but I am confused...perhaps a poll on epub or a pro con list...also if sony is switching to entirely epub..hopefully they will correct and advance the tech..look and dislikes that plague epub at the moment..does that sound naive..or what
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote