Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Brain & Brawn Ship Series - McCaffrey

Hi
Does anyone out there know if I can get these for the Sony 505?
Many thanks
tonyt
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Webscriptions has a few.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The series order is:

The Ship Who Sang (1969) (short story collection with stories from 1961, 1966, and 1969) ISBN 0-345-33431-0
PartnerShip (1992) with Margaret Ball, ISBN 0-671-72109-7
The Ship Who Searched (1992) with Mercedes Lackey, ISBN 0-671-72129-1
The City Who Fought (1993) with S.M. Stirling, ISBN 0-671-87599-X
The Ship Who Won (1994) with Jody Lynn Nye, ISBN 0-671-87657-0

This series also includes solo entries by Stirling and Nye:
The Ship Errant (1996) by Jody Lynn Nye, ISBN 0-671-87854-9
The Ship Avenged (1997) by S.M. Stirling, ISBN 0-671-87861-1

Omnibus versions of the above novels:
Brain Ships (2003) (includes The Ship Who Searched and Partnership) ISBN 0-7434-7166-0
The Ship who Saved the Worlds (2003) (includes The Ship Who Won and The Ship Errant) ISBN 0-7434-7171-7
The City and the Ship (2004) (includes The City Who Fought and The Ship Avenged) ISBN 0-7434-7189-X

You can buy all three omnibus editions from the Baen link above and get most of the books.

But the first, The Ship Who Sang, is inexplicably not available. There's a copy from the Virginia M. Woolf Foundation in PDF only:
http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/ebook/278117-ebook.htm

Also missing are two short stories, "The Ship Who Returned" and "Honeymoon"
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
fictionwise

Fictionwise has:

Nimisha's Ship

But that looks like all it has of the Brainships series.

Have you tried the Tower and the Hive series? I also liked the Powers that Be series.

I did not like the Dinosaur Planet series.

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 04-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many Thanks

Thank you all for your swift replies!

tonyt
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I ended up getting what I could from Baen and will read them in the correct order not the omnibus order which for some reason is not grouped by reading order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Have you tried the Tower and the Hive series? I also liked the Powers that Be series.
If you like "the Tower and the Hive" series you should also look at the Pegasus series which precedes it. Fictionwise calls it "Saga of the Talents"
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yep

Yep I have read them as well. :-) They are good.

Amy
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I ended up getting what I could from Baen and will read them in the correct order not the omnibus order which for some reason is not grouped by reading order.
They're grouped by author/co-author. I'm actually not sure the reading order is entirely necessary, as I think they mostly deal with different brain ships, but I've not read them so can't swear to that.

Do try to read the first book if you can, though, even in paperback. It's a classic.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Do try to read the first book if you can, though, even in paperback. It's a classic.
I've read them all several times, I just have a "thing" for reading books in chronological order. Thanks for the info on groupings of the eBook compilations, for convenience I may not bother to read them in "order" this time. My Hardcover copies are all packed up in storage for now. Our 'library' bookshelves collapsed under the weight of all our paper books shortly before Son was born and, 5 yrs later, we still haven't gotten around to putting up new shelving in the basement. Thank goodness for eBooks!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Thank goodness for eBooks!
And I say amen to that, sister!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
sassanik
Guru

Quote:
I've read them all several times, I just have a "thing" for reading books in chronological order. Thanks for the info on groupings of the eBook compilations, for convenience I may not bother to read them in "order" this time. My Hardcover copies are all packed up in storage for now. Our 'library' bookshelves collapsed under the weight of all our paper books shortly before Son was born and, 5 yrs later, we still haven't gotten around to putting up new shelving in the basement. Thank goodness for eBooks!

Yep that is one of my favorite things about ebooks, how many you can store on your harddrive without it taking up shelf space. I have forced myself to keep a mere 6 boxes of books, I know the horrors. But now I can store more on my computer! Go ebooks!

Amy